Misting System Advice

Reptilelover47

Established Member
Hi guys! :)

I just need some advice for my misting system.

I have a 2yo male Panther Chameleon. For his misting system I've been using an Exo-terra Monsoon RS400 Rainfall system. I bought it on Amazon and after almost a year of having it, it was not working properly (stopped spraying). At that point I contacted Amazon and got a replacement because there was a warranty. Now, about 11 months later it broke again in a different way. I've been spraying his terrarium. Amazon won't let me return it a second time and get a new one so, now, I need to make another purchase.

The thing is that I really like the Monsoon System, I have it all set up, it works well, has a remote, the timer is perfect, etc. What happened this time around is that where the adapter (electrical cord) attaches to the system, it just stopped working and also fell into the shell of the system and is no longer reachable either. I plan to try and see if I can open up the system and fix it (I'm pretty good with electronics). But, if I can't fix it I don't know that it's worth buying another Monsoon System ($80), since it'll be my third, (unless it has another warranty). What would you do? Would you just get the third Monsoon System and maybe try to also fix the one I still have? I'd have extra parts that way.

I don't like the Repti-Rain or Habba-Mist. The way they hook up, the size of the reservoir, and the timings available just aren't ideal.

I was thinking about the Mist King system that I always hear about. Do you just set up your own reservoir for it? Do you think I could hook up a pump, timer, and adapter to my existing monsoon reservoir and monsoon nozzles, or would that just be dumb? I need to do this as cheap as possible, but I also want it to work well. I'm willing to spend up to $100 if it's necessary. I don't have the time to make a makeshift system at home being that I need a replacement asap and just have a lot going on with work right now.

Also, can anyone recommend a good fogger? I'm thinking about getting one.

Thank you!

My honest opinion is invest in mist king or aquazamp rain dome. I just hooked my aguazamp up and my chameleon loves it. He doesn't run like when I hand sprayed him. I think it's more natural to the animals because it actually is raining.

It comes with everything you need. The bucket is 4 gallons so shouldn't have to be refilled that often. I've read only use distilled water, tap water will clog the nozzles.

It's more money but well worth it. The only thing I can say bad about the company is customer service is lacking. I put a claim through paypal and it was shipped right away. I'd still buy another one from them if I needed one.

I have a 2yo male Panther Chameleon. For his misting system I've been using an Exo-terra Monsoon RS400 Rainfall system. I bought it on Amazon and after almost a year of having it, it was not working properly (stopped spraying). At that point I contacted Amazon and got a replacement because there was a warranty. Now, about 11 months later it broke again in a different way. I've been spraying his terrarium. Amazon won't let me return it a second time and get a new one so, now, I need to make another purchase.

The thing is that I really like the Monsoon System, I have it all set up, it works well, has a remote, the timer is perfect, etc. What happened this time around is that where the adapter (electrical cord) attaches to the system, it just stopped working and also fell into the shell of the system and is no longer reachable either. I plan to try and see if I can open up the system and fix it (I'm pretty good with electronics). But, if I can't fix it I don't know that it's worth buying another Monsoon System ($80), since it'll be my third, (unless it has another warranty). What would you do? Would you just get the third Monsoon System and maybe try to also fix the one I still have? I'd have extra parts that way.

I don't like the Repti-Rain or Habba-Mist. The way they hook up, the size of the reservoir, and the timings available just aren't ideal.

I was thinking about the Mist King system that I always hear about. Do you just set up your own reservoir for it? Do you think I could hook up a pump, timer, and adapter to my existing monsoon reservoir and monsoon nozzles, or would that just be dumb? I need to do this as cheap as possible, but I also want it to work well. I'm willing to spend up to $100 if it's necessary. I don't have the time to make a makeshift system at home being that I need a replacement asap and just have a lot going on with work right now.

Thank you!

That seems to be the trend with the Monsoons. The idea behind the system may be good, but the quality and reliability just don't measure up. The Mist King and Aquazamp systems may cost a bit more up front, but they are reliable over time.

Apparently the monsoon misting system is a piece of expensive junk.

Better to get a Mist Kind or Aquazamp misting system

I've had my Mist King for just shy of 5 years and its running like a charm. And I forget to fill the tank and it runs dry at least once a week.

Well worth the money.

I've never heard of the Aquazamp, I'll look into that & then choose between it & the Mist King.
Thank you for all of the answers :) Much appreciated. Love this site, someone is always there with advice.

I've never heard of the Aquazamp, I'll look into that & then choose between it & the Mist King.
Thank you for all of the answers :) Much appreciated. Love this site, someone is always there with advice.

There's a couple youtube videos that show the raindome in action. I chose it because it's made in the US, small business, and didn't have to worry about over spray getting outside the enclosure.

I have a Mist King and so far absolutely love it!! The timer is super easy to program, with up to 8 mistings a day in as low as 1 sec intervals. The $100 value system can support up to 10 nozzles, and all you need to buy in addition is a cheap bucket from a home improvement store. There is also a rain dome option, and I haven't had any problems with overspray, just play with nozzle positioning, and foliage to block screening for your cham to drink off of. Highly recommend it!!!

I wanted to make sure I understand the two systems correctly. The Aquazamp has a rain dome that acts like natural rain. The Mist King has the misting nozzles and no rain dome? Or do the nozzles from Mist King act like rain as well?

I have the Monsoon and its slowly acting up so I need a backup plan in place.

The mistking sprays water from misting nozzles you put in the corner of your setup, There's no rain dome.

The aquazamp has a small hood with misting nozzles in it you set on top of your enclosure and it creates a rain type effect.

I've only had mine (aquazamp) a couple days now, and I really like it.

I don't think you can go wrong with either system.

So in theory you could make your own rain dome with the nozzles? Just need the right nozzles? Didn't like the look of the rain dome that Mist King shows. Looks cheap and its not a cheap price to me.

The mistking sprays water from misting nozzles you put in the corner of your setup, There's no rain dome.

The aquazamp has a small hood with misting nozzles in it you set on top of your enclosure and it creates a rain type effect.

I've only had mine (aquazamp) a couple days now, and I really like it.

I don't think you can go wrong with either system.

Mistking also offers a rain dome. I bought one from them.p to add to my mist king system.

From my experiments you get nearly the same effect with a cover like the dome or nothing at all. The dome prevents some mist from drifting, so if you use a mist head pointed at the top of the screen from the outside to make a nice rain spot, you'll want to be mindful of mist drifting on to walls or lights or what-have-you.

The rain spot produced is a nice effect, but only drips as long as the mist system is running. I recently ran a line from our existing basement reverse osmosis (RO) drinking water system to the cages and, with a small plastic float valve installed, now have a self filling bucket for mist. I was very pleased when I saw how easy is was to push some water line up along some network cable we ran all over the house a few years ago. Now I'm thinking of running RO water through a timer activated solenoid valve to do just low pressure one-drop-per-second dripping. I just need to figure out the best way to set up adjustable dripping...

Anyhow, not to hijack your thread, but I'm searching and reading anything I can find about plumbed adjustable slow dripping.

I think you can mix and match components from any system using compression push to connect 1/4" outside diameter (OD) tubing and fittings like MistKing or AquaZamp. I have.

Edit: MistKing has a "rain" accessory that is just some lengths of tubing, some T connectors, and a regular mist head. T connectors are super useful - get extras. With a few elbows you can set up any mist head to spray down on the screen from a few inches.

Last edited:
I'm liking the whole rain dome thing, but that would only cover one section of the cage.

Does a rain dome continuously rain??

With either Mist King or Aquazamp could I have both nozzles and a raindome? Which system is easier to set up?

Thanks!

I made my own "dome" with the mist king nozzles. It mist but after hitting the top screen it turns into bigger drops and acts like rain falling into the enclosure. In my new cage I just built I'm going to use my dome along with a double misting head inside. I also built my own system with a pump a bought for 35 bucks on ebay. Right now it is running 10 heads 8 being in my gecko cage and 2 in my veiled cage, geckos get misted in morning and evening and veiled gets it 4 times. Have a solenoid that shuts the water off to the gecko cage during the day. I'm an electrical engineer so I like to automate everything.

I'm liking the whole rain dome thing, but that would only cover one section of the cage.
Yes, the mist head inside the cage can wet a much larger area, but you need leaves or some kind of surface (including the screen wall) to catch the mist and make drops.
Does a rain dome continuously rain??
Only while the pump is running, and the AquaZamp dome with two mist heads will use the same 2x0.9 gallons per hour as two mist heads.
With either Mist King or Aquazamp could I have both nozzles and a raindome?
Yes, MistKing has a nice corner mount for inside the cage, but there are other ways to mount mist heads.
Which system is easier to set up?
The AquaZamp. You just drop the dome on top of the cage.

I find cage top space to be at a premium since I have a large Dragon Strand that has a 22" x 16" footprint, and a Repti-breeze "Large" that has an 18" x 18" footprint. That's why I'm opting for just mist heads, no dome. I have four of the domes, used, but have been pulling the mist heads out to use elsewhere with less stuff taking up space.

I made my own "dome" with the mist king nozzles. It mist but after hitting the top screen it turns into bigger drops and acts like rain falling into the enclosure. In my new cage I just built I'm going to use my dome along with a double misting head inside. I also built my own system with a pump a bought for 35 bucks on ebay. Right now it is running 10 heads 8 being in my gecko cage and 2 in my veiled cage, geckos get misted in morning and evening and veiled gets it 4 times. Have a solenoid that shuts the water off to the gecko cage during the day. I'm an electrical engineer so I like to automate everything.

This is what I was thinking of. I have a frilled dragon and a chameleon that would use the misting system. If I could set up for both of them and have it more like a rain fall instead of a mist. I will have to look into both of them and maybe check out some pond and fish sites for different nozzles to hook up. Cage top is a premium. The chameleon cage has the screen but the frilled dragon has wood on top.

This is what I was thinking of. I have a frilled dragon and a chameleon that would use the misting system. If I could set up for both of them and have it more like a rain fall instead of a mist. I will have to look into both of them and maybe check out some pond and fish sites for different nozzles to hook up. Cage top is a premium. The chameleon cage has the screen but the frilled dragon has wood on top.

Home Depot sells different nozzles if you have one close. i forget the brand name but i read somewhere that a guy bought an assortment that had different spray patterns.

Thank you!

If you still want to use the Monsoon, you might try contacting the company that makes ExoTerra. I have Monsoon Misting system that didn't work properly. The timer wouldn't shut off. They had me send the top back to them ( about $7 bucks) and they shipped me a new whole new unit. They are in Attleboro under Rolf C Hagen. (www.hagen.com). Kevin M

Back
Top Bottom