Miraclegro Water Retaining Crystals

deadhd5

Avid Member
Hi everyone.

I just picked up a bag of these from Home Depot, as I believe they are the same thing as flukers water crystals, but massively cheaper. Has anyone used these before instead of water crystals from the pet store? If yes, can anyone advise the right proportion of water to dry crystals when hydrating the dry crystals?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, for my cricket and roach colonies.

People say that oranges make roaches breed like crazy, but I think it is just the additional hydration they provide. When I began using water crystals my colonies exploded. This is a very very cheap option for crystals. It was $7.99 for the bag and it makes 50 gallons of crystals!

Hi everyone.

I just picked up a bag of these from Home Depot, as I believe they are the same thing as flukers water crystals, but massively cheaper. Has anyone used these before instead of water crystals from the pet store? If yes, can anyone advise the right proportion of water to dry crystals when hydrating the dry crystals?

Thanks in advance!

I hate using the water crystals. Feeders eat them for water, then your animals eat them for food. Who knows that those polyacrylamide crystals actually do inside a living animal. I would rather not use them.

And just because something seems safe doesn't mean it isn't harmful in some way. I prefer to give my feeders Oranges as a water source. There is a low possibility of contamination and my feeders get a source of water and vitamins/minerals that I know are safe for my reptiles to consume.

They are darn convenient but how many times have we gotten into trouble by cutting corners for the sake of convenience.

Last edited:
1 ounce of crystals creates 1 gallon of water cubes.

I put 4 ounces in a 5 gallon bucket, fill it up, and next day drain off the excess water.

I hate using the water crystals. Feeders eat them for water, then your animals eat them for food. Who knows that those polyacrylamide crystals actually do inside a living animal. I would rather not use them.

And just because something seems safe doesn't mean it isn't harmful in some way. I prefer to give my feeders Oranges as a water source. There is a low possibility of contamination and my feeders get a source of water and vitamins/minerals that I know are safe for my reptiles to consume.

They are darn convenient but how many times have we gotten into trouble by cutting corners for the sake of convenience.

That is a fair point. I still use oranges, but I also provide crystals only because of the benefits I have seen first hand. I have no science to back up the safety, but I have never heard any fact based reason that they would be dangerous to chams, and I believe they have been in use for decades. I am thinking that additonal hydration may not be as important down there as it is up here this time of year.

Hmmmm, I did not realize they are plain crystals without chemicals. I usually order mine through ebay. I may have to see if lowes carries them, our Home Depot went out of business a year or so ago :(

Hmmmm, I did not realize they are plain crystals without chemicals. I usually order mine through ebay. I may have to see if lowes carries them, our Home Depot went out of business a year or so ago :(

they are on Amazon as well

Yes, for my cricket and roach colonies.

People say that oranges make roaches breed like crazy, but I think it is just the additional hydration they provide. When I began using water crystals my colonies exploded. This is a very very cheap option for crystals. It was $7.99 for the bag and it makes 50 gallons of crystals!
I bought the crystals and tried them, but I like oranges best and i have a tree, so I can't beat the price of that.:D

Back
Top Bottom