Mesh/Insect Screen Supplier

Forestdellic

So I am planning my permanent enclosure for my veiled but I am having loads of trouble trying to find stainless steel/aluminum wire mesh or insect screen.

I've tried with a lot of ironmongers, aluminum suppliers, DIY stores..etc and none of them supply that kind anymore. Everyone switched to nylon as it's cheaper.

My only choice for now is to import it myself and order online. Thing is, it's reall expensive to buy from large online markets like Ebay/Amazon. Private sellers of insect supplies also sell it expensive but I guess it would be difficult to convince them to give you their supplier or source. :confused:

What's even more difficult is that I am from Europe however it is a dry, lightweight inanimate object so it can't be that difficult.

If I ordered a bow from the USA and it came here with no problem I am sure it shouldn't be a problem :D

Does anyone know a good supplier that would mail it to a European Country or does any good-soul care to send me a roll and we can exchange via paypal? :eek: :eek:

Thank you in advance!

I've been working with MetroScreenworks.com, for my cage I'm building now. You don't have like a HomeDepot equivalent, AL screen is at all the hardware stores around me in MI.

I second metro screen works. Im working with them on my build having a sample of 17x14 super screen " poly pvc coated screen" sent to me before purchasing. They are fast at responding to questions.

I've been working with MetroScreenworks.com, for my cage I'm building now. You don't have like a HomeDepot equivalent, AL screen is at all the hardware stores around me in MI.

We have outlets like a home depot but the mesh is all made from plastic or plastic like material which melts very easily and is tearable. Insects can eat through it.

What's AL screen? Aluminum screen? I'm looking on Metroscreenworks but I see no AL screen. Do they do international shipping?

Try your local window/glass stores.

As I said, I have but to no avail :(

Yea sorry aluminum screen. They even have a new type of stainless steel screen, and other plastic/fiberglass combination screens.

Yea sorry aluminum screen. They even have a new type of stainless steel screen, and other plastic/fiberglass combination screens.

I've managed to find fiberglass and PVC but I was not sure how resistant they are to heat, UVB and insect bites.

I envy you Americans, over here I dream for a store like that top open up :p Hopefully they ship internationally.

Super screen by metro is uv resistant and with the pvc coating im hoping cricket proof too. I was first going to go with aluminum screening but have been scared away from all the horror stories of torn toenails. And that they dont grow back. So far screen has been the hardest thing for me to make my mind up on. Im not sure on international shipping.

I've managed to find fiberglass and PVC but I was not sure how resistant they are to heat, UVB and insect bites.

I envy you Americans, over here I dream for a store like that top open up :p Hopefully they ship internationally.

You could use a different material on the cage top to withstand the heat and more intense UV radiation. Maybe look for something we call "hardware cloth" which is a galvanized metal mesh with openings that are larger than window screen. Hardware cloth is often used in building or to support concrete. The mesh can come in various sizes all of which are too small for your cham to squeeze through. For the sides of your cage I would use the fiberglass screen, not PVC. I've used fiberglass screen on several cages and didn't have too much trouble with escaping insects (but I also put my feeders in plastic storage boxes nestled in the cage foliage instead of letting them free roam in the cage).

Super screen by metro is uv resistant and with the pvc coating im hoping cricket proof too. I was first going to go with aluminum screening but have been scared away from all the horror stories of torn toenails. And that they dont grow back. So far screen has been the hardest thing for me to make my mind up on. Im not sure on international shipping.

A cham can get a toenail caught in fiberglass screen too, but its a little less likely that they will tear the nail loose. Some chams insist on climbing the cage screen. If they do you can attach some sort of plastic mesh (such as barrier fencing, aviary mesh, or the netting used to keep birds out of orchard trees) on the inside of the screen and let it climb on that instead. To discourage screen climbing you can place branches around the cage against the screen to give the cham an alternate route.

There are a number of sources for screen. As Carlton said hardware cloth is good but I suggest using the vinyl coated kind. These are the folks I order from

http://www.louispage.com/welded-wire-mesh/hardware-cloth

but many of the big box stores can order in things they don't normally stock and you can save on the shipping.

If you are going to have the cage outside at some point I wouldn't use fiberglass, I find it breaks down and causes foot issues. If you control your feeders by either hand feeding or container feeding you can use just about any size mesh you want provided the cham can't walk through it. Be careful if your order wire that you end up with square wire and not off size wire as it may not work for you. 1/4 x 1/4, 1/2 x 1/2 etc and not 1/2 x 1 or greater. The uneven sizes are more common as they get used for farms and gardens more often than the smaller sized even mesh.

Gah, I just typed all that and saw you were in Europe. I'd still ask around at the big box stores.

Thank you Barta! For now I am waiting on numerous responses to see where it's best to acquire it.

I have a friend in Germany who said she'll check for me at her local DIY. Metroscreenworks also replied and said that would ship to Europe. I am just waiting for a response on how much a 28" by 50ft aluminum roll would cost.

In my opinion I think the best type of screen in an enclosure like this is something with metal, aluminum or steel coated.

It's resistant to heat and UVB rays, the crickets definitely can't chew through it and about the chameleon toes getting stuck I am not but I believe it's a small risk with any screen you use.

I got my sample from metro friday it was sent to work so im checkin it out today i had day off. Got some more done on enclosure uploadfromtaptalk1425146933484.jpg

Thank you Barta! For now I am waiting on numerous responses to see where it's best to acquire it.

I have a friend in Germany who said she'll check for me at her local DIY. Metroscreenworks also replied and said that would ship to Europe. I am just waiting for a response on how much a 28" by 50ft aluminum roll would cost.

In my opinion I think the best type of screen in an enclosure like this is something with metal, aluminum or steel coated.

It's resistant to heat and UVB rays, the crickets definitely can't chew through it and about the chameleon toes getting stuck I am not but I believe it's a small risk with any screen you use.

The US rolls come in 24 inch, 36 inch, and 48 inch widths.

CHEERS!

Nick

The US rolls come in 24 inch, 36 inch, and 48 inch widths.

CHEERS!

Nick

Just in case could you check for me shipping please? I'd need the 24inch wide roll. How much is there in a roll? 10m? 20m?

I'm asking cause metroscreenworks got back to me and they said shipping a roll would cost me around $200. IMO it's pricey as hell.

I think I am going to end up going with the idea Carlton had, use aluminum for the top and use fiberglass mesh around the sides.

Back
Top Bottom