Melleri Test Results

d3s5

Avid Member
I found a new vet that not only has experience with chameleons, but also has had some experience with Melleri. I had their 3 fecals tested and Medjumbe came back positive for pinworms. Because they free range together, Mocuba and Medjumbe are both being treated with Panacur. He prescribed a regimen of 5 days on, 5 days off, 5 days on, 5 days off, and 5 days on. I haven't heard of this regimen before.(?)

He said that Medjumbe has some mild changes compatible with early hyperparathyroidism with fibrous osteodystrophy. He said it does not appear to be an issue now.

Since they have been mating and there have been some difficulties with Melleri getting sick for unknown reasons in the past year, I also decided to get blood work and mouth swabs done.

Mocuba came back positive for Proteus and is being treated with Amikacin injections - every other day for 10 days. I have not read encouraging things about this drug, so I am less than thrilled about administering it. He said because her Azurophils level is 16%, it is important to treat the bacteria.

Medjumbe also came back positive for some bacteria but his Azurophils level is normal (6%) and the vet felt no further treatment is needed.

I got a copy of the blood test results and Medjumbe's comments included: "White blood cells are slightly dark and shrunken. This condition is often seen with infection (bacterial and/or fungal) or organ congestion."

Lastly, Medjumbe was 107 grams last year and weighed in at 328 grams this year. Mocuba was 131 grams last year and weighed in at 683 grams. I followed MD's advice and fed them as much as they wanted for the first year. I have cut back on Mocuba's food.

I wanted to share this information with other keepers of Melleri with hopes that we can keep these chameleons healthy. Any insight or additional information that anyone has for me will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Deb

Hi Deb, you should ask one of the vets here to take a look at this thread. I've used Panacur before plenty of times and my vet recommends Panacur once a day for three days then waits two weeks and repeats for three more days. Then he likes me to wait about a week and repeat the fecal and just to make sure they stay clean, he likes to repeat the fecal again in about two to three more weeks. I hope both Mocuba and Medjumbe will be ok. They both gained lots of weight. ;)

If you don't mind, would you share your vet here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/area-area-country-vet-list-32880/

Hi Deb, you should ask one of the vets here to take a look at this thread. I've used Panacur before plenty of times and my vet recommends Panacur once a day for three days then waits two weeks and repeats for three more days. Then he likes me to wait about a week and repeat the fecal and just to make sure they stay clean, he likes to repeat the fecal again in about two to three more weeks. I hope both Mocuba and Medjumbe will be ok. They both gained lots of weight. ;)

If you don't mind, would you share your vet here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/area-area-country-vet-list-32880/

I questioned him about the Panacur treatment and he said he had a different regimen than the standard and he seemed pretty confident about it. The last vet I had treated Medjumbe with Panacur (3 days on, 2 weeks off, 3 days on). I am having both of their fecals retested a month after treatment is over and another mouth swab for Mocuba a month after her treatment is finished.

The weight gain - well, The Melleri Discovery said to feed them as much as they want for one year. And that's what I did. The vet didn't say to cut back on her food, but I have. She doesn't seem "fat" to me - like out of proportion fat, but reading through Melleri threads, I can't seem to find one that weighed that much.

Also, I added the vet to the thread!

I questioned him about the Panacur treatment and he said he had a different regimen than the standard and he seemed pretty confident about it. The last vet I had treated Medjumbe with Panacur (3 days on, 2 weeks off, 3 days on). I am having both of their fecals retested a month after treatment is over and another mouth swab for Mocuba a month after her treatment is finished.

The weight gain - well, The Melleri Discovery said to feed them as much as they want for one year. And that's what I did. The vet didn't say to cut back on her food, but I have. She doesn't seem "fat" to me - like out of proportion fat, but reading through Melleri threads, I can't seem to find one that weighed that much.

Also, I added the vet to the thread!

I'm sure different vets probably do the panacure different ways.

I know Olimpia has a very large Melleri girl. I can't remember the weight, just that she was big.

Thank you for sharing your vet. It might help someone else looking for a vet with Cham experience.

Looking forward to seeing new pictures of all your guys.

I'm sure different vets probably do the panacure different ways.

I know Olimpia has a very large Melleri girl. I can't remember the weight, just that she was big.

Thank you for sharing your vet. It might help someone else looking for a vet with Cham experience.

Looking forward to seeing new pictures of all your guys.

Thanks, Jann. I searched the forums for Panacur treatments and only found the 3 day, 2 week, 3 day, treatment. I was hoping someone else had experience with the regimen that my vet prescribed.

Panacur can be given in a variety of ways. The alternating treatment days is to catch the parasite in the more susceptible life stages. Once you kill them off the first time you have to wait for the eggs they left behind to hatch, then the next round kills those. I do the 3 day, off 2 weeks, 3 days again the most, but I've seen other very well respected reptile vets use different protocols. Fortunately the good thing is that there is flexibility because most of the protocols work well even if they aren't the same.

Back
Top Bottom