Meet the real Sonny, the Trioceros Jacksonii Xantholophus

People have tossed the idea around that feeding overly large feeders can lead to temporal gland infections. It is anecdotal evidence at best. They think that it causes wounds that become infected. I have no experience that backs that up but thought you should know.

I do feed smaller dubia but because they are less likely to have stored as much uric acid that can lead to gout. I'm probably being over cautious as a low protein diet is all that is necessary to prevent the accumulation.

People have tossed the idea around that feeding overly large feeders can lead to temporal gland infections. It is anecdotal evidence at best. They think that it causes wounds that become infected. I have no experience that backs that up but thought you should know.

I do feed smaller dubia but because they are less likely to have stored as much uric acid that can lead to gout. I'm probably being over cautious as a low protein diet is all that is necessary to prevent the accumulation.
Thanks for mentioning this, greatly appreciated🙏🏻 And it does make complete sense, thinking about it and want take my changes on it. This was his first and now directly his last large one. Normally I only feed my chams medium sized Dubia’s. Never buy the large or adult ones, these fellas have been hiding and growing.

Last edited:
Thanks for mentioning this, greatly appreciated🙏🏻 And it does make complete sense, thinking about it and want take my changes on it. This was his first and now directly his last large one. Normally I only feed my chams medium sized Dubia’s. Never buy the large or adult ones, these fellas have been hiding and growing.
I have the same problem, I have some really large ones that have been hiding as well. I never meant for them to get that big but Eustis went on a feeding strike for about a month a few months ago and they were just sitting there in the tub not being eaten and just growing!I don’t know what to do with them now. I’m going to take jacksjills advice and only feed him smaller ones.

I have the same problem, I have some really large ones that have been hiding as well. I never meant for them to get that big but Eustis went on a feeding strike for about a month a few months ago and they were just sitting there in the tub not being eaten and just growing!I don’t know what to do with them now. I’m going to take jacksjills advice and only feed him smaller ones.
Maybe, if you would want that, you could keep them to breed a colony. That’s a thing I’m still experimenting with. Luckily my veiled can eat them easily, otherwise I also would‘t know what to do with them.

You could start a colony…or get a larger reptile to eat the big ones. ;)

There aren’t any pet shops here that Sell the Dubai. They only sell hissing cockroaches. At least that’s all I’ve seen. I’m going to think about getting a male or two from somewhere and letting them breed but I have to make sure I won’t get over run with them since I only have one mouth to feed.

I agree, I think the reason I haven’t seen Eustis drink is just because he’s been so scared of me but he is getting less scared of me now.
Then finally the real fun starts, when they’re getting used to us. Never thought to enough so much fun from chams. Even everyone that comes over our floor enjoys them, liking or disliking reptiles. Already talked about it with Mendez, and I believe Jackson’s are also getting my favorite species, but love them all.

One more Sonny update shot

692562DA-EDDE-4509-B99A-50A624FF8201.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom