Meet the real Sonny, the Trioceros Jacksonii Xantholophus

Many years ago their was a youtube video (I have been looking for- for about 20 minutes-- I gave up) with a Jackson taking a leap off a short palm tree. Multiple time it would just jump so figured one they do something and it doesn't kill them it is a repeatable event.. Darn! Maybe someone else will find it.
Thanks for sharing (y)

Oh I see him! That is so awesome looking!
Thank you, if I could just let you experience, for a few minutes, what joy this for your Cham and yourself. Behavior changes within hours.......he also won’t eat from the feeder shooting gallery and his old setting. Now the sneaky B, comes from all sides out of the foliage to get his snack. And he’s doing his pose again, now with some shed

5068CE69-1615-4D60-9101-A0D40DB60E77.jpeg

Many years ago their was a youtube video (I have been looking for- for about 20 minutes-- I gave up) with a Jackson taking a leap off a short palm tree. Multiple time it would just jump so figured one they do something and it doesn't kill them it is a repeatable event.. Darn! Maybe someone else will find it.
Thanks for sharing (y)
Love to see that one, hopefully someone finds it 👍🏻

I wish I could free range Eustis but I have a cat and that wouldn’t be safe for Eustis. I love what you’re able to do with Sonny! I have a very similar pic of Eustis peeking out from his branch.
I don’t know if it’s directly the free range, but more what we offer them what comes as close to their natural habitat. I think those Schefflera trees do their part in it. They’ll find lots climbing and hiding opportunities in it and it holds pretty well water droplets. This as a centerpiece in an enclosure with some extra horizontal should do the trick. Downside is finding trees that fit in an enclosure will be difficult part and then you’ll end up easily with free range, when circumstances make this possible.

Next spring I’ll have to look for a big schefflera. They had some at my local plant place but I got a small one and it did not do well in Eustis’s cage. I have it sitting on the floor next to his cage now and it’s not really growing. I’m not sure why.

I love that you are giving your cham’s such a fantastic and as natural as possible life. I’ve always felt bad having any animals in cages…like they’re in prison. If only I didn’t have and love cats & dog.

Next spring I’ll have to look for a big schefflera. They had some at my local plant place but I got a small one and it did not do well in Eustis’s cage. I have it sitting on the floor next to his cage now and it’s not really growing. I’m not sure why.
They’re slow growing, and it always me how “cheap” these trees are in relation to the plant version, at least over here. The plant costs around $15-20 and the tree $80-100, however the tree is 10 times the plant.

I love that you are giving your cham’s such a fantastic and as natural as possible life. I’ve always felt bad having any animals in cages…like they’re in prison. If only I didn’t have and love cats & dog.
In some way it can give them a secured feeling and I love that you experimented with enlarging the enclosures. You to are giving them the best possible life within your range of possibilities 💚

Wow! I didn’t know Jackson’s could eat an adult Dubai! I will have to start upping the size of Dubai I give Eustis!
Just wanted to try it, had a few adults in the colony, and just offered on my hand to see if he would take it. And he did and took him only 30 sec to devour it. Don’t wanna give it to often to him.

Back
Top Bottom