Meet Cleopatra

Amanda S

P1010023.JPG

P1010028.JPG

She is a WC young Carpet Cham. She has been in her new enclosure for a week and 1 day. I have yet to hold her as she runs away from me and I don't want to upset her and pull her out. She turns between this brown (when I'm around of course) to a bright green with yellows and blues when she is being misted. Does she look healthy? She is having a hard time shedding, if you can see the bits on her head and back.

She is very dehydrated… Give her lots of misting and a drip cup that will go all day long so she can drink whenever she wants to. Other than the dehydration she looks good.

Thanks for the advice. I have been trying to keep her hydrated, It has obviously been a problem. She is afraid of being misted, I haven't even misted her directly but just any misting in her cage and she freaks out and hides, and won't go near a drip cup. I just bought an electric mister today because she doesn't want to drink when I'm around so maybe that'll help. Another issue is humidity in an all screen cage. I am going to cover part of it.

I put her in the shower with the spout angled at the wall and the water lukewarm. She turned bright yellow and would not stop trying to jump off! Over and over she climbed to the top of the plant, put her arms out, and fell straight off. It was like she wanted to climb up to the spout. I caught her over and over and over but at least I got to hold her finally!

She arrived from FLChams after she shed and came with those bits on her face. So they've been there at least a week. I think the shower helped some.

She is very dehydrated… Give her lots of misting and a drip cup that will go all day long so she can drink whenever she wants to. Other than the dehydration she looks good.

Huh?

Those aren't the best pictures so I can't give a proper assessment, but I would say that you chameleon ISN'T dehydrated. Look at her eyes, they are nice a bulgey (usually the first indicator of a problem). Also her skin is not sagging or wrinkled. Casque appears to be full and not sunken in.

Yes, she is having a problem shedding, but that is NOT a symptom of dehydration. Furcifer lateralis lateralis come from very humid areas of Madagascar and I bet if you upped the humidity levels in her cage, the shedding problems will stop. I kept my Furcifer lateralis major at 80-100% humidity.

You are doing the right thing by not handling her. Let her calm down, let her figure out your schedule, sounds, sights etc. She should relax eventually. Some chameleons take only a few days or weeks, some a lot longer to be less stressed in front of new owners. Be patient. Remember too; chameleons are not a pet that likes to be held in the first place. They are a display type animal. Adding some more live plants (I use Schefflera) will create more cover and give her a sense of security.

Have fun with your new pet!
Cheers,
t

Back
Top Bottom