Medicating a Panther

Ramsesrocks

Hello - I need to give my panther meds twice a day. I tried putting it on a superworm to give her but she's not very hungry. My Vet is treating her for possible MBD & she has eggs too get rid of too. (infertile I believe). Any help on how to force feed/medicate with the least amount of stress for her would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What kind of medicine are you giving? How is the vet treating for MBD, with calcium injections? Let me know what med you are giving.

At the Vet's she had Calcium Gluconate 23% (injection) and some Metacam (inj.)
She also had some subcu fluids. She also sent out a blood sample for a "Complete Reptile w/ CBC. At home I am supposed to give her Metacam (susp.) once a day & Calciionate Syrup twice a day. I did get the medicine in by forcing her mouth open. It's a little tricky with only one set of hands & I'm afraid of hurting her mouth. :rolleyes: Yesterday she ate one superworm w/ the Calcium on it. Now she won't eat anything or drink. :confused:

If she were eating you could inject a feeder with a syringe like a hornworm or silkworm with the meds. That is how I administered Baytril before which is a liquid antibiotic. If there is something she does not like, like a camera you could hold that up to her and get her to gape and when she is holding her mouth open you could squirt the med in. Just be careful to not shoot it too far down here throat. Anyway you look at it, if you have to get them to open their mouth it is going to be somewhat stressful on them.

If I can get her to gape that would be much easier. How do I make sure it's going in the right way so as not to cause her to aspirate? And, yes, the metacam is for pain.

Thank you for your help! I'm still a little worried about her aspirating when I shoot the medication down her throat! Is there a sure way to do this safely? Thanks

If you can get her to drink as her mouth is opening and shutting EASE a little of the meds in each time it opens and shuts.

Thank you both for your help. I will try again with her wrapped in a towel this time. I should have thought of that before. We would make "kitty burritos" out of fractious/scared cats at the animal hospitals I worked at.

Easiest way to supplement a chameleon I have found is by holding the chameleon in one hand like the picture in the article Trace posted..I dont think a towel is very necessary, then use a plastic credit card to slip between the chameleons lips and gently push the jaw open. Then make sure you push the syringe down into the throat of the chameleon and push the medication into the chameleons esophagus. If you do not do this you can cause the chameleon to aspirate. Hope this helps.

We've been giving oral meds to our male veiled for about a week now, but have the luxury of two sets of hands. I gently hold Neil in my hands (I cup them and let him rest in the middle) being mindful of not putting my fingers over the top of his back, but with them close enough that he can move a little, but not reach for the syringe.

Then my son gently strokes his bottom lip. Neil will eventually open and we can squirt in a little bit at a time. It takes a while some days, and on others (if he's feisty) he's opened right up. He bites at the syringe or my son's finger, which means he's ticked off at the whole process, but we get the meds in.

He seems to tolerate that method best for us, but he is also only about 9 months old and generally pretty people-friendly for a cham.

The size of the syringe can matter, too. We use a very small one that holds about a ml. One that came with a second prescription was larger and did not work well at all.

As others have said, be mindful of the lips and gums. Our little guy has early mbd, too, so we're on a similar path. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom