Matings that got too Violent.

SoCaliSon

Avid Member
Okay so Lombardi's main squeeze Sookie has been showing intense Receptive colors for the last few days. She laid 49 eggs from her mating with Lombardi in January... Here is the thread if you aren't familiar with the culprits.Lombardi's Sex Tape.:D.

I decided to let her in his cage again the other day to get some fertilizing done before she cycled another clutch. She acted completely receptive and climbed into his cage herself when she saw him. But Lombardi is a Very aggressive breeder, and not very gentle. Within a few seconds of him trying to wrestle onto her, her distinct receptive coloration and behavior were gone, and she went into Gravid colors, with the Dark black and yellow spots, and was doing everything she could to bite him. When I saw this I stepped in and separated them.

Attempt #2 I decided to go for again today when I tested the waters a lot more... I made sure she got a good look at what what Lombardi was proposing, her colors and behavior remained receptive. Again she chose on her own to enter his cage, and again she began refusing just as he got to work. I thought maybe this is just a natural mating behavior. I let it go a little bit longer. But her colors were so black and she was thrashing so bad it still didn't last more than a minute and a half before I had to pull them apart again.:confused::(

I don't know... I think that Lombardi is just so aggressive that it causes her to go into rejection mode because of the intensity. These interactions really seem to stress her out, and it was enough to worry me about injury to one of the chams, so I am thinking that will my last attempt at pairing these two. Maybe another female down the road will be more submissive for my boy.

Thoughts???

~Joe

Okay so Lombardi's main squeeze Sookie has been showing intense Receptive colors for the last few days. She laid 49 eggs from her mating with Lombardi in January... Here is the thread if you aren't familiar with the culprits.Lombardi's Sex Tape.:D.

I decided to let her in his cage again the other day to get some fertilizing done before she cycled another clutch. She acted completely receptive and climbed into his cage herself when she saw him. But Lombardi is a Very aggressive breeder, and not very gentle. Within a few seconds of him trying to wrestle onto her, her distinct receptive coloration and behavior were gone, and she went into Gravid colors, with the Dark black and yellow spots, and was doing everything she could to bite him. When I saw this I stepped in and separated them.

Attempt #2 I decided to go for again today when I tested the waters a lot more... I made sure she got a good look at what what Lombardi was proposing, her colors and behavior remained receptive. Again she chose on her own to enter his cage, and again she began refusing just as he got to work. I thought maybe this is just a natural mating behavior. I let it go a little bit longer. But her colors were so black and she was thrashing so bad it still didn't last more than a minute and a half before I had to pull them apart again.:confused::(

I don't know... I think that Lombardi is just so aggressive that it causes her to go into rejection mode because of the intensity. These interactions really seem to stress her out, and it was enough to worry me about injury to one of the chams, so I am thinking that will my last attempt at pairing these two. Maybe another female down the road will be more submissive for my boy.

Thoughts???

~Joe

i heard you need to put the male in her cage since males are more aggressive in their own territories. Try that and it just might work.

i heard you need to put the male in her cage since males are more aggressive in their own territories. Try that and it just might work.

I think you could be right. The successful mating was in her cage now that I think about it. But he was every bit as aggressive in her cage, it just seemed that she was more tolerant. Everything I read says to introduce the female to the males cage, and that is how I get it to happen with my panthers. An old Veiled of mine would not want anything to do with a female unless she was in his cage.

My male veiled is the same way he goes nuts when he sees a female very agresive. He also stays overly active in his cage for several days looking for her when he has even seen a female.
Although i have not had him turned down if they where receptive to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom