Marijuana and chameleons?

This was brought up on a FB group one time and I got attacked for saying... Marijuana can be toxic to animals, friend's dog nearly died from eating a bunch of edibles, and it was a large dog. For a smaller animal the amount it'd take would be far less. It also has a strong smell and is sticky.

Can't say for certain, I know it's not a dangerous drug all things considered, but I wouldn't risk it personally.

I have wondered the same thing myself. I have been looking into plant toxicity in chameleons but have not seen any mention of such plants being used or being harmful to chams. I can’t imagine it being great for the health of the plant tho.. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I mean... I guess you could? Chameleons don't have cannabinoid receptors (I don't really know what those are) so eating it wouldn't affect them I don't think but I don't know for sure. It's not good for mammals but reptiles might be okay with it. It would look pretty cool I guess 😂

This was brought up on a FB group one time and I got attacked for saying... Marijuana can be toxic to animals, friend's dog nearly died from eating a bunch of edibles, and it was a large dog. For a smaller animal the amount it'd take would be far less. It also has a strong smell and is sticky.

Can't say for certain, I know it's not a dangerous drug all things considered, but I wouldn't risk it personally.
I have wondered the same thing myself. I have been looking into plant toxicity in chameleons but have not seen any mention of such plants being used or being harmful to chams. I can’t imagine it being great for the health of the plant tho.. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I mean... I guess you could? Chameleons don't have cannabinoid receptors (I don't really know what those are) so eating it wouldn't affect them I don't think but I don't know for sure. It's not good for mammals but reptiles might be okay with it. It would look pretty cool I guess 😂
Thanks for the opinions guys! There must be somebody who tried this idea.. Lets say if its not for veiled. If its for the chameleons that dont eat leaves.. anyways if anybody tried this let me know I’m just curios dont know why. Saying again even if I wanted to do this I cant cuz its not legal. I know about the dogs and cats relationship with weed but I dont know about reptiles. I hope we find out somehow. It would really look cool if somebody had enclosure full of weed 😂

Thanks for the opinions guys! There must be somebody who tried this idea.. Lets say if its not for veiled. If its for the chameleons that dont eat leaves.. anyways if anybody tried this let me know I’m just curios dont know why. Saying again even if I wanted to do this I cant cuz its not legal. I know about the dogs and cats relationship with weed but I dont know about reptiles. I hope we find out somehow. It would really look cool if somebody had enclosure full of weed 😂
If my mother gets her card I will try with a Jackson’s and let you know 😉

I live in California and work in cannabis and have grown it a few times. I wouldn not recommend putting anything living aside from mantids or lady bugs on or near them for pest control. Like many other plants the sticky sap and resinous nature of the plant would be less than ideal for anything to be in contact with or climb on. I would also advise against smoking cannabis near reptiles as they may or may not be affected but also are susceptible to respiratory infection.

An illustration my old room mate did when they found out I was thinking about getting a chameleon. Only real criticism is the backwards curling tail 😭🤣

Attachments

• PXL_20210227_023812107.jpg
    PXL_20210227_023812107.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 168
I live in California and work in cannabis and have grown it a few times. I wouldn not recommend putting anything living aside from mantids or lady bugs on or near them for pest control. Like many other plants the sticky sap and resinous nature of the plant would be less than ideal for anything to be in contact with or climb on. I would also advise against smoking cannabis near reptiles as they may or may not be affected but also are susceptible to respiratory infection.
Okay thanks for the info!

An illustration my old room mate did when they found out I was thinking about getting a chameleon. Only real criticism is the backwards curling tail 😭🤣
Very talented! It’s a beautiful drawing! And thanks for the warning, I’ve never grown such a plant and knowing this makes me a bit hesitant. And I’m sure any type of smoke near a chameleon is a big NO. ☺️

I think it would look pretty cool, and the plant would surely love the mild heat and UVB and plant light if there is one, but I think it would be a really, really bad idea because of how sticky the stuff is! If you have a good quality plant, not just the flowers but the leaves, stems, whole darn thing would be sticky with resin, and I would worry it would affect your cham's skin (itchy or just get kinda gross from buildup) and I'd be really worried about something getting in his eyes. Could put a few plants on the outside of the cage on either side and they might still benefit from the lights and still have that vibe!

I definitely wouldn’t harvest the plant for use. The plant has a fast growth rate and would need trimming/topping a lot. Doing this would cause the plant to thicken up and become more “bushy”. Doing this could make the plant strong enough to climb all over. However marijuana is just as sensitive of a plant for how strong it can be. I would recommend growing it in similar conditions as the enclosure prior to putting it in to have it acclimate to the conditions as well to give the plant time to thicken up with proper trimming/topping as well as providing airflow to simulate natural wind also to help thicken the overall stalk and branches. You would want to grow it like a bonsai to keep it as short as possible as long as possible. Once it’s acclimated and looks how you want it and is thick enough to support your Chams weight. You could essentially create a bonsai with marijuana that looks similar to a broad leaf maple bonsai. You could even shape it however you like, I once grew a plant and used wire to shape it around a soda can and eventually it all morphed together creating a solid ring. You could use that to creat almost a nesting tunnel lol I’m a beginner to Cham so idk if they’d like that but point is you could. If I can find pictures I will send them to you directly.

I’d only consider growing in my enclosure if it were best for the plant and if my mother needed it I would try to grow for her since I’m her caregiver and the dispensary prices are extremely high here. I don’t think I’d be successful with the high demands of cannabis and with the comments here I don’t think I want my chameleon to have any skin issues from the sap. Although if that wasn’t an issue, and from the prolegalization aspect, it would be great to have flourishing plants that were good for the chameleon and its owners. ☺️

I live in California and put some in with my veiled. He ate all the leaves, then ate all the DORITOS (nacho cheese). Just kidding! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)

Pertaining to poisonous/toxic plants-

I did have a female veiled escape and live in a GIANT eucalyptus tree (off I-5 near San Clemente CA). She lived up at the top for 6 days and when I was able to get enough poles to coast her onto one. When she pooped it was like tobacco mint (look and smell, I did not smoke it). :D She had no issues surviving on the leaves and bugs near the top.

The only way I knew she was still in the tree was by putting the male out on a Ficus tree and she would rock and display gravid colors.

Would be interesting to find out since we don't know everything about their digestion system.

Back
Top Bottom