Marijuana and chameleons?

This is a photo for you guys that you might find interesting. This is a stock photo I found on the web. I kept a copy because it is Agriculture related. I do not smoke Marijuana.

MTfK2z.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Hes so pissed like: Yo, what are you doing on my farm? If u buy some I’ll let you live.. I need money for superworms..

I am pretty sure it would affect them. But I have been looking into commercial hemp. No thc but same plant.
Yeah thats a DEFINITE NO! not to mention rather pointless... don't you want your plant to grow and produce as much as possible? Well it's certainly not going to be able to do that with a cham climbing all over it!🤷‍♂️Not suitable for a chameleon to climb than it shouldn't be in the enclosure. It's not strong enough to hold their weight and of course the sticky crystals it produces is just nightmare in and of itself.
Bam! and that is the best reason. Simply not the best type of plant for cham. Not thick branches to climb on, and yes there is a sticky residue covering the plant. The sticky ness is enough for me to say no. Now that you mentioned it. I had not looked at that aspect.

I dont dislike them because they smoke pot - I dislike them because they act like total DBs. I agree it should be legal and treated the same as alcohol.
I agree. I am in Oregon, so it is legal and every where. Doesn't mean do what you want. We have fields of hemp that they grow is what made me think of it. But as mentioned the sticky ness would be an issue.

If we are just talking about smoking and animals. I do smoke. Not around any of my animals. I believe it is immoral to force this upon an animal without its choice. This has always been my rule. On that note I did have a dog that would fine it and eat it. But I still did not blow smoke at the dog, nor did I let him eat it.

They have a cool site and even cooler chameleons but I’m 100% sure its very dangerous for chams to inhale smoke in the air. I still cant believe panther chameleons are that expensive in US.
ehh🤷‍♂️as long as they're not blowing it directly in the animals face not to mention it's pretty big room they're in with fans.

I mean my vet has prescribed my dog a CBD tincture, of course its not thc but, still. I definetly think that blowing smoke in animals faces isn’t really a good idea just because of potential “bad trip” (not sure how animals brains react and process thc) or eye/resp. irritation. I personally think if someone could find a non-sticky plant and prune/train it to get a really sturdy stem and at least a few sturdy branches, then it would be cool to have next to your cage for them to hang out on while you clean up their feces and half eaten dinner! I’ve actually really enjoyed reading this thread. Im in WA so its also all over where I am haha.
Also, this is just a random thought but maybe you could take some alcohol to clean their feet after they’ve rested on a plant, of course id assume that cleaning a chameleons feet with rubbing alcohol wouldn’t be good for it.

I mean my vet has prescribed my dog a CBD tincture, of course its not thc but, still. I definetly think that blowing smoke in animals faces isn’t really a good idea just because of potential “bad trip” (not sure how animals brains react and process thc) or eye/resp. irritation. I personally think if someone could find a non-sticky plant and prune/train it to get a really sturdy stem and at least a few sturdy branches, then it would be cool to have next to your cage for them to hang out on while you clean up their feces and half eaten dinner! I’ve actually really enjoyed reading this thread. Im in WA so its also all over where I am haha.
Also, this is just a random thought but maybe you could take some alcohol to clean their feet after they’ve rested on a plant, of course id assume that cleaning a chameleons feet with rubbing alcohol wouldn’t be good for it.
If you need to clean the chameleon after climbing on it, then its not a good plant to use.

I have not independently verified this story, but way back when I was an undergrad at UCSB I took their herpetology class, and the professor and TAs told the story of how Jackson's chameleons were introduced to Morro Bay (there was a wild breeding population for a while, I am unsure if it still exists). According to my instructors, there was a large grow operation that had Jackson's chameleons living in the/around the operation, and when it was raided and shut down, they escaped into the surrounding area and began reproducing. So it was allegedly safe enough for those Jacksons, though I am unclear of whether or not they were actually living on the Marijuana plants or merely within the grow operation.

Also, my chameleon Spicoli is so named because I got him as an adoption from someone who could no longer keep him, and when I went over to their house to pick him up there was tons of weed everywhere. He was always healthy.

My suspicion is that living on/around marijuana would be fairly benign to chameleons, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. It's not worth the risk and I don't think its growth pattern would work well in a chameleon enclosure. I don't smoke or grow, but a friend of mine grew some once and it seemed like it needed more light than most people would use in a chameleon vivarium, that it would grow too large for a normal vivarium, and I think it's an annual? It's also very fragrant and I personally find the odor pretty unpleasant so I would be concerned about that irritating animals living around it.

I have not independently verified this story, but way back when I was an undergrad at UCSB I took their herpetology class, and the professor and TAs told the story of how Jackson's chameleons were introduced to Morro Bay (there was a wild breeding population for a while, I am unsure if it still exists). According to my instructors, there was a large grow operation that had Jackson's chameleons living in the/around the operation, and when it was raided and shut down, they escaped into the surrounding area and began reproducing. So it was allegedly safe enough for those Jacksons, though I am unclear of whether or not they were actually living on the Marijuana plants or merely within the grow operation.

Also, my chameleon Spicoli is so named because I got him as an adoption from someone who could no longer keep him, and when I went over to their house to pick him up there was tons of weed everywhere. He was always healthy.

My suspicion is that living on/around marijuana would be fairly benign to chameleons, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. It's not worth the risk and I don't think its growth pattern would work well in a chameleon enclosure. I don't smoke or grow, but a friend of mine grew some once and it seemed like it needed more light than most people would use in a chameleon vivarium, that it would grow too large for a normal vivarium, and I think it's an annual? It's also very fragrant and I personally find the odor pretty unpleasant so I would be concerned about that irritating animals living around it.

Most chameleons would be fine as they wouldn't eat it, the sticky nature of it might be irritating though and who knows what the smell would do to their airways in an enclosure. Chameleons thrive in all sorts of suboptimal settings, that doesn't mean it's be a good idea to replicate(not that I think you're saying that).

It really just goes back to why do this? Not much point other than to try and look cool.

I live in California and work in cannabis and have grown it a few times. I wouldn not recommend putting anything living aside from mantids or lady bugs on or near them for pest control. Like many other plants the sticky sap and resinous nature of the plant would be less than ideal for anything to be in contact with or climb on. I would also advise against smoking cannabis near reptiles as they may or may not be affected but also are susceptible to respiratory infection.

An illustration my old room mate did when they found out I was thinking about getting a chameleon. Only real criticism is the backwards curling tail 😭🤣
Werid question when you grew did you always ph your water when watering your plants ?

Most chameleons would be fine as they wouldn't eat it, the sticky nature of it might be irritating though and who knows what the smell would do to their airways in an enclosure. Chameleons thrive in all sorts of suboptimal settings, that doesn't mean it's be a good idea to replicate(not that I think you're saying that).

It really just goes back to why do this? Not much point other than to try and look cool.
Yeah for the record we are in agreement it would be a poor choice.

Werid question when you grew did you always ph your water when watering your plants ?
Sorry to answer in the form of a question but what are you using to water? Tap , well , building your own mineral comp from distilled or r/o ? If it is a worry Ph test strips are sooo cheap it's not a bad idea to have them on hand if you are worried about your water

I personally don’t smoke, I do have an anxiety pen but it doesn’t contain nicotine. I honestly have no idea, but it reminded me, my grandma has a weed garden she uses it for remedies and stuff for her, she doesn’t smoke or put it inside her body though. Funny story my cousin actually stole one of her plants for obvious reasons, she was caught and my uncle burned all of my grandmas weed plants. There were A LOT anyways my grandma being her just replanted a whole lot more.

Last edited:
Just brain storming. Not thinking of doing it. Even if I wanted to it’s ilegal here. But could you have marijuana/cannabis plant in your chameleons enclosure? Is it toxic for them?
I'd like to know if I could use a dried plant for its branches? I've removed buds, plant is dead so wanted to see if anyone has done it

Back
Top Bottom