Looking for a Chameleon for a student project video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nydiam2020

Hello Everyone :)
I'm looking to record a short video of a Chameleon walking straight over sections of different colors and record how he or she turns into the different colors. I'm located in the New York City area. I can come to you, I'll bring my camera, lights and, the different flat color surfaces if that is OK. Of course, I'll share the video with you so you will have a long lasting memory of your pet and I can complete my student project. No money exchange.

Hi there, and welcome to the forums!

Assuming you're serious, I'll have to disappoint you: chameleons don't actually change color to match their surroundings! At least, nowhere near the level that people have been led to believe via animation and pop culture. Color change would be minimal at best, and each chameleon has a natural color range and pattern(s). Changes to color have more to do with communication/general mood than anything, and camouflage is often minimal or absent, particularly with male panther chameleons. They tend to be quite flashy! Think of them more like mood rings.

For example, my female panther chameleon, Lily

Calm/warm:

Basking/warming up (and slightly defensive):

Defensive/Aggressive/fearful/unsure

(@Chameleon Mike beat me to it, but I'm on phone and slow and bored and posting anyway!)

Hello Everyone :)
I'm looking to record a short video of a Chameleon walking straight over sections of different colors and record how he or she turns into the different colors. I'm located in the New York City area. I can come to you, I'll bring my camera, lights and, the different flat color surfaces if that is OK. Of course, I'll share the video with you so you will have a long lasting memory of your pet and I can complete my student project. No money exchange.

I would suggest doing a liiiittle bit of research on chameleons first ;) What you're talking about is impossible to achieve without video editing. Chameleons do not work the way you think they do

https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-do-chameleons-change-their-colors

Good luck with your project. Chameleons don't change colors like that though. Most of the time they change due to stress, heat or to attract a mate.

I've attached a link so you can read up on this.
Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciated it. I apologize for my ignorance on the subject. Have you watched this video (please, see link) I was wondering if something like that con be done...
LINK:

Hi there, and welcome to the forums!

Assuming you're serious, I'll have to disappoint you: chameleons don't actually change color to match their surroundings! At least, nowhere near the level that people have been led to believe via animation and pop culture. Color change would be minimal at best, and each chameleon has a natural color range and pattern(s). Changes to color have more to do with communication/general mood than anything, and camouflage is often minimal or absent, particularly with male panther chameleons. They tend to be quite flashy! Think of them more like mood rings.

For example, my female panther chameleon, Lily

Calm/warm:

View attachment 241250

Basking/warming up (and slightly defensive):

View attachment 241251

Defensive/Aggressive/fearful/unsure

View attachment 241252

(@Chameleon Mike beat me to it, but I'm on phone and slow and bored and posting anyway!)
Thanks so much for sharing Lili's pics, she is adorable! She also looks happy and healthy, congratulations to you. I would like to share with you a video I found, the source of my idea. Please, tel me what you think: Thanks in advance

I would suggest doing a liiiittle bit of research on chameleons first ;) What you're talking about is impossible to achieve without video editing. Chameleons do not work the way you think they do
Thanks so much for such great IDEA! You are right, I can use video editing :) With few filters I can achieve the color change I need. GREAT! I would only need the chameleon to walk across. Thanks again

I skipped 25 seconds into that and had serious questions about what kind of video you were trying to make.
Yes, I don't really know much about this fascinating animal, I apologize if I sound ignorant but, I am on this topic. Please, feel free to ask me any question and I will do my best to answer.

Your idea is a lot like getting a video of a reindeer flying a sleigh. People want to see it, some believe it, videos have been made of it, but it’s fake. Editing and pushing misinformation. Unfortunately unless you are going to isolate the color in Adobe Premiere and change it with a chromakey filter you won’t be able to make it happen. And honestly chameleons are cool for way different reasons. If you really want to create impressive footage get some slow mo of them hunting.

Edit: I was thinking about it and with the right editing program you could make this same video with a calico cat and really blow everyone’s minds.

So, I didn't watch that all way through. But that first bit was just someone annoyingtheir male veiled until it started showing classic stressed colors, and all of the bits showing that veiled changing colors while walking over things/having colored sunglasses put near it are (fairly obviously) edited. Some of the other clips are just the individual species' natural colors.

Your idea is a lot like getting a video of a reindeer flying a sleigh. People want to see it, some believe it, videos have been made of it, but it’s fake. Editing and pushing misinformation. Unfortunately unless you are going to isolate the color in Adobe Premiere and change it with a chromakey filter you won’t be able to make it happen. And honestly chameleons are cool for way different reasons. If you really want to create impressive footage get some slow mo of them hunting.

Edit: I was thinking about it and with the right editing program you could make this same video with a calico cat and really blow everyone’s minds.
Thanks so much for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. The extraordinary ability to change colors is something I admire tremendously even if the color change is not as dramatic as depicted in some images/videos I still find it fascinating. I really would like to capture (record) that in action. Thanks again

So, I didn't watch that all way through. But that first bit was just someone annoyingtheir male veiled until it started showing classic stressed colors, and all of the bits showing that veiled changing colors while walking over things/having colored sunglasses put near it are (fairly obviously) edited. Some of the other clips are just the individual species' natural colors.
Thanks so much for the clarification, I'm ashamed! How ignorant I am in this topic, I'm sorry :( But, I can still record the chameleon just walking from point to another...

Thanks so much for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. The extraordinary ability to change colors is something I admire tremendously even if the color change is not as dramatic as depicted in some images/videos I still find it fascinating. I really would like to capture (record) that in action. Thanks again
Octopus and cuttlefish are amazingcamouflagers/color changers. Worth looking into. Have you heard of the mimic octopus? They take the shape of other sea creatures pretty incredibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom