Looking for a Chameleon for a student project video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well not to sound harsh but I’m sure you can find some idiot that is willing to stress their Cham for no better reason then amusement. You will find most here will not. I feel these animals get portrayed incorrectly too often which is why young children want them as pets. When this happens 9 times out of ten the Cham dies because the correct care is not given. While we do have eager young members on this site they are the exception not the rule.... as stated I would do your project with a cat... or if you want to show case a chameleon keep it educational like the way they eat and hunt rather then perpetuate that they are color changing based on background.

Well not to sound harsh but I’m sure you can find some idiot that is willing to stress their Cham for no better reason then amusement. You will find most here will not. I feel these animals get portrayed incorrectly too often which is why young children want them as pets. When this happens 9 times out of ten the Cham dies because the correct care is not given. While we do have eager young members on this site they are the exception not the rule.... as stated I would do your project with a cat... or if you want to show case a chameleon keep it educational like the way they eat and hunt rather then perpetuate that they are color changing based on background.
First of all, calling any of your colleagues an "idiot" is simply sad. I appreciate your sincere concern for the well being of the chameleons and under no circumstance my interest or intention is to harm in any way any animal, I love them all. Insulting people, I am sure has NEVER taken you any way and it will never do. I simply did not know much about chameleons other than what you see in the video posted earlier in here, that It turned out to be all false.
Up until this comment, I was convinced that what some people say about reptiles owners was totally untrue and even unfair. Everyone else have been charming, helpful and, kind -even funny :) Of course, there is always one person that ruins it for everybody... Still, I believe and I know you don't represent the whole group.

First of all, calling any of your colleagues an "idiot" is simply sad. I appreciate your sincere concern for the well being of the chameleons and under no circumstance my interest or intention is to harm in any way any animal, I love them all. Insulting people, I am sure has NEVER taken you any way and it will never do. I simply did not know much about chameleons other than what you see in the video posted earlier in here, that It turned out to be all false.
Up until this comment, I was convinced that what some people say about reptiles owners was totally untrue and even unfair. Everyone else have been charming, helpful and, kind -even funny :) Of course, there is always one person that ruins it for everybody... Still, I believe and I know you don't represent the whole group.

I'll let Beman represent me -- she is one of the best keepers around. Please give accurate info to your students -- this is how chameleons die. Not everything in life is fake rainbows and sunshine -- she's seen enough hard shit to give people straightforward answers.

No she spoke for me too but here is why: a keeper (who owns and knows their animals) who did this would purposely have to stress out their chameleon ( and overstress literally kills. chameleons) just to make them change colors. So we’re describing someone who would know they were making an inaccurate video perpetuating a myth but still hurt a fragile creature they poured tremendous resources into nurturing , and waste a huge investment of resources just to entertain the uninformed. That person wouldn’t be naive like you. They should know better and would still be wasteful and cruel so that’s an idiot.

LOL I did not mean anyone here. There are many people out there that have chams but do not know the basics about them. That put them in front of mirrors to show off to their friends how they change color and that put hats on them and walk around with them as if they are dogs. That will poke and prod at a Veiled that is trying to sleep. The truth of it is that all those things are extremely stressful to the cham. I would rather see you do something that represents these animals and shows off how amazing they truly are rather then just do another video that is inaccurate.

As with everyone else I am entitled to my opinion and will speak openly about how the misrepresentation of these animals is harming to them. It does not do them justice. The lack of education around them is why we have so many people coming here for help. They don't just struggle under incorrect care, they die. Seeing these animals that are tree dwelling and pure magic laying on the bottom of a cage dying is one of the most horrible things I have ever witnessed. We are active in this forum because we want not only what is best for these animals but for their keepers.

So while you misread my meaning in my post... I was simply urging you to do something that benefited the representation of a chameleon rather than doing the same inaccurate and in some cases harming things others have done before you.

I'll let Beman represent me -- she is one of the best keepers around. Please give accurate info to your students -- this is how chameleons die. Not everything in life is fake rainbows and sunshine -- she's seen enough hard shit to give people straightforward answers.
I am the
AnamCara, I firmly believe, there are good and bad ways to convey an idea. Insulting people will never prevail. Others already in this great forum kindly helped me understand better and learn more about these extraordinary creatures so, I simply changed the original perspective -now based on knowledge- of my initial project. Ignorance can not be eradicated with aggression, ignorance is the cause of most problems in this world but the anger that generates only perpetuates it.

LOL I did not mean anyone here. There are many people out there that have chams but do not know the basics about them. That put them in front of mirrors to show off to their friends how they change color and that put hats on them and walk around with them as if they are dogs. That will poke and prod at a Veiled that is trying to sleep. The truth of it is that all those things are extremely stressful to the cham. I would rather see you do something that represents these animals and shows off how amazing they truly are rather then just do another video that is inaccurate.

As with everyone else I am entitled to my opinion and will speak openly about how the misrepresentation of these animals is harming to them. It does not do them justice. The lack of education around them is why we have so many people coming here for help. They don't just struggle under incorrect care, they die. Seeing these animals that are tree dwelling and pure magic laying on the bottom of a cage dying is one of the most horrible things I have ever witnessed. We are active in this forum because we want not only what is best for these animals but for their keepers.

So while you misread my meaning in my post... I was simply urging you to do something that benefited the representation of a chameleon rather than doing the same inaccurate and in some cases harming things others have done before you.

You're a star, Becca!! Everyone here knows exactly what you meant. You didn't insult any of us and you represented us well, standing behind the chameleons.

I would also like to point out that most chameleons HATE cameras. If the cham doesn't know you, it would more than likely just stand still and puff up until you went away

I do want to say that a video on how and why chameleons actually change color and how they hunt would be a good educational tool, but in order to create it ethically and without editing you would have to document a chameleon with an experienced keeper. Over a long period of time and with great care to boundaries. Color changes would need to occur only as the animal interacts naturally (not like purposefully making a baby a cry). But again if I observed my chameleon getting stressed I wouldn’t grab a camera I’d try to help them feel safe and happy.

I think I’d rather see an expert do something like that... discovery channel etc.

Last edited:
I am the

AnamCara, I firmly believe, there are good and bad ways to convey an idea. Insulting people will never prevail. Others already in this great forum kindly helped me understand better and learn more about these extraordinary creatures so, I simply changed the original perspective -now based on knowledge- of my initial project. Ignorance can not be eradicated with aggression, ignorance is the cause of most problems in this world but the anger that generates only perpetuates it.

As a former therapist for children with emotional regulation disorders, I can guarantee you that anger is a valid emotion can actually do good when processed properly. Anger is the proper emotion when the potential for harm is present

She didn't insult you. Everyone on the forums here gave you accurate information -- what you came for. This forum's purpose is the proper care of chameleons, that's it.

I am the

I did not insult you or my fellow members. There was no anger in my words and no aggression. While I was horrified at the video you posted, I knew you did not know any better. Your eyes did not view the harm as my eyes did due to your lack of knowledge on these animals. I kept my response polite and to the point without disparaging you.

We are all active here. We work full time. Most of us are parents and full time caretakers of our children or other family members. Some of us have second jobs. We give of our "free" time here to others to help show them the correct way to care for these animals. Without anger or judgement we repeat ourselves daily for the one and only goal of educating others on these magnificent animals. We are a passionate community that cares deeply about others and each other. I wish you much luck in your project and hope you will be able to represent our passion positively in your project.

Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciated it. I apologize for my ignorance on the subject. Have you watched this video (please, see link) I was wondering if something like that con be done...
LINK:

THIS MAKES ME CRINGE !!!!!!!!!!!. I’m going to be as nice as I can . THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA . Chameleon are not toys and should never be shown as anything but what they are .

If you are doing this as a school project then please provide the correct info , teach others about these beautiful gems . Not miss info that will lead to stress and possibly death .

This forum is for correct keeping not Magic shows !!.

Thanks so much for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. The extraordinary ability to change colors is something I admire tremendously even if the color change is not as dramatic as depicted in some images/videos I still find it fascinating. I really would like to capture (record) that in action. Thanks again
Go for it, don’t let nobody tell you can’t... But to get your desire video, try an octopus lol.

I don’t think he’s tryna make a video on husbandry... All of you take this stuff too serious. Sometimes I appreciate the Helpful Insight, but most of the times I find it annoying how people pretty much Disrespect one another. Just cause we don’t agree how some owners are different, there is no need to Be rude or name call. Everybody is different. We all Human Beings, Peace and Love to all.

Alot of people use nanny cams, there is no harm in that!!
You know to be honest, I think my cham knows when I am tuned in to my nanny cam. I think he can see the change in the lens FOV when it's on vs when it's not on. Many times I have opened my app to check on him and he is calm, muted colors just basking, then after a moment he will turn his low stress colors and start to climb down in to his cover. I think in some way the nanny cams do stress them out. But that's just a theory for me.

To
I don’t think he’s tryna make a video on husbandry... All of you take this stuff too serious. Sometimes I appreciate the Helpful Insight, but most of the times I find it annoying how people pretty much Disrespect one another. Just cause we don’t agree how some owners are different, there is no need to Be rude or name call. Everybody is different. We all Human Beings, Peace and Love to all.

To seriously ?? I love this video I want one of these things because it changes colors . Let me stick it in a fish tank and watch it change colors . Well I saw a video and that’s what they did !!. Why can’t I do the same .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom