Locusts are eating my plants!

OptimusCham

This may have already been asked & answered but I don't have time to search for an answer, sorry. I've recently put some live plants into my cham's enclosure & with all the locusts in there, they've suffered majorly! What I'd like to know is which plants are save for chams but locusts/crickets won't eat? OR how do I prevent the plants from being eaten faster than they can replenish their leaves?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

How many are you putting in the enclosure?

Surely your chameleon would be eating them before they get a chance to munch on the plants?

How many are you putting in the enclosure

I put around 30-40 in at a time & they go wherever. The viv's 4ft tall, 3 ft wide & 2 ft deep, so plenty of space for them not to bother him. He doesn't seem to eat a whole lot though, not that I see anyway. Within minutes of putting them in, they're eating the plants!

I'd try just putting around 10-15 in or as many as he will eat in a few minutes. Then take out any that he doesn't eat.

Or try feeding from a large cup, so that they cant go anywhere. Possibly even hand feeding if he will.

I'd try just putting around 10-15 in or as many as he will eat in a few minutes. Then take out any that he doesn't eat.

Or try feeding from a large cup, so that they cant go anywhere. Possibly even hand feeding if he will.

Sometimes he'll eat several, sometimes he won't have anything until later in the day, so regardless of how many I put in there's always going to be some left. Plus the size of the viv & how much is in there's it'll be impossible to take out everything he doesn't eat. Also, I'm working full time so I don't have time in the morning to hand feed. It seems like my only real option is to get plants that they won't eat.

Sometimes he'll eat several, sometimes he won't have anything until later in the day, so regardless of how many I put in there's always going to be some left. Plus the size of the viv & how much is in there's it'll be impossible to take out everything he doesn't eat. Also, I'm working full time so I don't have time in the morning to hand feed. It seems like my only real option is to get plants that they won't eat.

No, James gave you the best option. There in no reason to put that many in the enclosure. If you were to put 10-15 in the enclosure as he suggested, now instead of the possibility of 30 eating on the plant there is only a couple; which will minimize the damage.

Chase

If you feel you must free range your feeders you should provide fresh gutload for them in the cage...maybe a chunk of fruit, veggie, or dry mix. Watch it for molds. I've used clean plastic prescription bottles lying on their sides either in a plant pot or some other spot the feeders can reach. They may tend to go for that rather than your plants or your cham.

Back
Top Bottom