Liz the Lizard's Autopsy Photos *Questions* *Graphic!!*

Dave

Avid Member
I lost my oldest female veiled this morning. Did an autopsy and this is what I've found..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 661
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,312
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 442
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 821
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 861
I'm not sure what the cause of death was. Obviously I don't see any eggs there, but what is that black? And can you see the wierd green nasty spot where her sternum is?

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 527
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 420
Looks like liver and pancreas or something similar. Open it up and see if it is dirt=impaction. If it is liquid/bile then it's normal.

Looks alright to me. Interesting, thanks for sharing, but it does suck she died. How old?

I'm no expert, but I've looked at many autopsies online and first, I believe the green spot is something that happens after many lizards die. I know with leopard geckos (who have very thin, nearly transparent, skin on their stomachs) a dark blackish spot always forms shortly after death, listen to someone else over me but I wouldn't think that the greenish spot is the cause of death.

Weird green nasty spots on the abdomen are very often reported in lizards that have died, Ive seen this alot. I beleive its a post death thing, I beleive in many cases its cause is a post death rupture of the duodenum.
Eitherway, according to my herp vet he sees it quite alot and its something that occures after death. The black though I have no idea.
Nasty but biologically fascinating pics.

So sorry you lost her! I found the pics fascinating (if a bit gruesome too). I didn't realise that their ribs are joined around the whole body. They are truly amazing creatures. Thank you for feeling strong enough to post the pics.

That black spot could ethier be the liver or Coagulated blood. Im not sure of the anatomy of a chameleon but that looks like that could have been a rupture of somthing. Im just trying to give you maybe some ideas, when i go hunting with my dad alot after we skin then deer and stuff coagulated blood looks alot like that and thats where the blood from the wound settled when the animal died.

Just some thought, Also im very sorry for your lose there is no way i could ever do that

-Jared

No those are the only pictures I have. I buried her yesterday. She was very stressed for the last 2 weeks, showing lime green coloring with dark spots. She also kept 1 eye closed at all times unless you got her attention pretty sternly.

It saddens me to think now that I may have killed her...

I put some 20-9-20 water soluable fertilizer on her live plants in the cage, you don't think this could have played a part in her death?

I suppose its possible, it may have consumed some saturated soil, but why beat yourself up Dave, you'll never know for sure now.
Just dont ever do that again mate.
Again, sorry for your pets loss.

Back
Top Bottom