So wait... are we all fogging now?

Hi how are you running the fogger like for the full duration, of 15 min per hour ? I ( I'm not running one currently as my temps are not getting low enough , znd my average humidity is between 75,88 so good , whag type of enclosure did you say you have , obtaining and maintaining a high humidity in some enclosures isn't always realistic, and also not natural, as fog naturally rolls in and out with varying density, directing humidity into the area where youf cham is sleeping is more realistic in smaller bursts as mentioned above 15 minutes per hour, also data logging this area ( or all areas) is a great way to know the best times ie the coolest, to run a fogger but also whag levels are being achieved ( and how long after a 15 min fog the levels are staying at before z refog
My fogger runs, non stop from 1am to 6am. I built my own enclosure. It's 36"x24"x48" and it's a full screen, which allows me to fog this way. In fact I feel it demands it. Because if I don't, the humidity will instantly drop. The only time I can maintain 80-100% humidity is when the fogger is running.

Attachments

• 20230725_175238.jpg
    20230725_175238.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 38
My fogger runs, non stop from 1am to 6am. I built my own enclosure. It's 36"x24"x48" and it's a full screen, which allows me to fog this way. In fact I feel it demands it. Because if I don't, the humidity will instantly drop. The only time I can maintain 80-100% humidity is when the fogger is running.
Yes but my point is can you maintain 80 to 100 % in the entire enclosure , without covering the back and sides, ( worth a thought) obviously we come from. Different places . I have a hybrid. I tried maintaining those levels which was near impossible so with a full mesh that is why I suggested aiming the fog at intervals, at his / her sleeping area

Yes but my point is can you maintain 80 to 100 % in the entire enclosure , without covering the back and sides, ( worth a thought) obviously we come from. Different places . I have a hybrid. I tried maintaining those levels which was near impossible so with a full mesh that is why I suggested aiming the fog at intervals, at his / her sleeping area
Not exactly. if I used 2 foggers, I'd say yes.

but with the way I have my sensors setup, It works really well right now with keeping the entire thing high. Unless it all goes lower. As long as my fogger is on, the humidity in each section is very high. like 85-100%.

with 2 foggers I think it would be 100% everywhere. But I don't think that's quite necessary tbh.

@Flick boy I put my fogger like in the middle of the enclosure. My mister is also there with 2 nozzles both pointing outward kinda. It works pretty well. I made an adjustment tonight misting for 2 minutes instead of 1 minute. so we'll see how that goes. I just wanted it to be a little more stead for longer than just the 1-6am

@Flick boy so I just checked and after lights going off, my ac going down (ambient temp in house is still 75 but ac is set to 71. Its super hot today. Should go down more as night goes on), these are the numbers I'm seeing from my sensors.

After only 1 two minutes misting session.

If the temps don't drop before I go to bed I will not run my fogger tonight. But I haven't had that issue yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230728_205659_SwitchBot.jpg
    Screenshot_20230728_205659_SwitchBot.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 42
I’ve been fogging for over a year and a half now with my Parsons . I’m in Land Southern, California. We get decent humidity in the winter time. But the summer we barely register. I’m using three head. Hydro heaven custom-made, foggers. In each habitat. My habitats are 5 x 4 x 30. My foggers go off at 11 and run continuously until 4 AM I have side doors on my enclosures that I crack open to allow the fog to come out the sides I can regulate how much fog stays in the habitat by opening, and closing the door to certain widths . I don’t recommend fogging temperatures above 65. Are use air conditioning to cool that also goes off at 11 o’clock pushing my temperatures down on all the enclosures. Bringing my humidity up to 95 to 100% I’ve had amazing results with this. My chameleons don’t hardly drink every once in a while, I’ll see them melding some water, but it’s not often . They’re very well hydrated. If you’ve ever been to a coastal town or to an island. You’ll see the same conditions. Fog Rolls in at night. Burns off as the temperatures rise during the day. I also use computer fans. To help dry the entire closure out during the day. In my opinion. For my climate in conditions. The invention of the fogger has been a game changer in husbandry . I use a 27 gallon tote. For my larger enclosures. And I made this bucket fogger for my 2 x 2 x 4 . They are not only fogger reservoirs, but they’re also reservoirs for my mistking. I only have to refill them every 5 to 7 days.

Attachments

• IMG_6913.jpeg
    IMG_6913.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6912.jpeg
    IMG_6912.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4923.jpeg
    IMG_4923.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4925.jpeg
    IMG_4925.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4926.jpeg
    IMG_4926.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2931.jpeg
    IMG_2931.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2607.jpeg
    IMG_2607.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 37
Okay so tonight we switched to the hybrid enclosure and I’m trying to figure out how to place my tube for the fogging. I started off with it up top but because of my ceiling fan I noticed that the fog is just coming right back out. My screen enclosure the fog just fell nicely. How do y’all have yours hooked up?

Okay so tonight we switched to the hybrid enclosure and I’m trying to figure out how to place my tube for the fogging. I started off with it up top but because of my ceiling fan I noticed that the fog is just coming right back out. My screen enclosure the fog just fell nicely. How do y’all have yours hooked up?
Mine is a Front up into the inside of the cage with two 2 inch PVC pipes the discharge it at the top of the cage , on my tamura designs I have a piece of inch PVC with several holes drilled in it . And on my 2 x 4 x 4. It runs up in a sheep’s foot in the back. I don’t know why it would be coming right back out unless the entire enclosure was filled with fog fog will fall not rise. Another thing that will happen is water droplets will accumulate on top of the screen, not allowing the fog to penetrate so it must go through the screen

I noticed it's taken a much longer time for the humidity to drop after misting for 2mins last night so I think I'm gonna drop it back down to 1 minute, give it longer to see how his poop is and then adjust. It's STILL wet in his cage from lights being on at 7am so I feel like that isn't good.

edit** well the branches seem dry but the leaves aren't. but still it has me worried.

I noticed it's taken a much longer time for the humidity to drop after misting for 2mins last night so I think I'm gonna drop it back down to 1 minute, give it longer to see how his poop is and then adjust. It's STILL wet in his cage from lights being on at 7am so I feel like that isn't good.

edit** well the branches seem dry but the leaves aren't. but still it has me worried.
If your temperature is a low it’s gonna take longer to dry out . I compensate for this with computer fans. I have my fans kick on about an hour after lights on. By 10 o’clock the entire habitat is dry. But with the plants and being a hybrid humidity still at 50%.

This is a Bucket fogger I made that also serves as the Reservoir , it will give you 5 to 7 days of water without refilling . It has is the fogger head and supplies the mistking .

If your temperature is a low it’s gonna take longer to dry out . I compensate for this with computer fans. I have my fans kick on about an hour after lights on. By 10 o’clock the entire habitat is dry. But with the plants and being a hybrid humidity still at 50%.
ok so this is more typical than I was thinking then. It's still only 9:20. I was thinking his enclosure should basically be dry, dry shortly after lights were on. I keep forgetting in the wild these things aren't always perfect lol I just need to settle down I think.

ok so this is more typical than I was thinking then. It's still only 9:20. I was thinking his enclosure should basically be dry, dry shortly after lights were on. I keep forgetting in the wild these things aren't always perfect lol I just need to settle down I think.
Yes, my enclosure usually dries completely around 12 with the fans blowing it’ll stay dry until 5 o’clock when I do about a 10 minute mist . But during the morning hours it’s pretty much soaking in the beginning.

Yes, my enclosure usually dries completely around 12 with the fans blowing it’ll stay dry until 5 o’clock when I do about a 10 minute mist . But during the morning hours it’s pretty much soaking in the beginning.
The enclosure is mostly drying. However, the humidity in the very center is sticking around 99%. With that being said, the dripper is dripping to that location. And the sensor is extremely close to plants.

I did however, go ahead and turn it back down to 60 seconds. I want to give this like a week and see how that's going. If I notice any signs of dehydration I'll bump it back up. But it's almost noon now so it's kind of scaring me.

The humidity in the basking area is at 56% right now. Which where he's mostly been (not directly under basking light but he's been mostly hunting crickets within that area).

I noticed the temps are taking longer to rise. just now hitting 70s as the ambient temp. So I think I over did it with the water last night.

The enclosure is mostly drying. However, the humidity in the very center is sticking around 99%. With that being said, the dripper is dripping to that location. And the sensor is extremely close to plants.

I did however, go ahead and turn it back down to 60 seconds. I want to give this like a week and see how that's going. If I notice any signs of dehydration I'll bump it back up. But it's almost noon now so it's kind of scaring me.

The humidity in the basking area is at 56% right now. Which where he's mostly been (not directly under basking light but he's been mostly hunting crickets within that area).

I noticed the temps are taking longer to rise. just now hitting 70s as the ambient temp. So I think I over did it with the water last night.
Right but your basking area is correct... Your going to have many different gradients of humidity in there just with all the plants. If you have moisture near a sensor it is going to make that seem much higher than it really is. Also your cage is all screen... you have a ton of air flow. So your risk is lower than if you had a glass or full hybrid that you were trying to balance out.

Remember misting is not just for humidity... They have to have enough time to drink and clean eyes if they need to. Typically this takes at least a 2 minute misting. I have found that it can take longer with some. It takes Beman 2 minutes just to realize the mister is even going off. lol Your branches will dry first. Plant leaves hold the water a bit longer. But this will dry out as well.

Right but your basking area is correct... Your going to have many different gradients of humidity in there just with all the plants. If you have moisture near a sensor it is going to make that seem much higher than it really is. Also your cage is all screen... you have a ton of air flow. So your risk is lower than if you had a glass or full hybrid that you were trying to balance out.

Remember misting is not just for humidity... They have to have enough time to drink and clean eyes if they need to. Typically this takes at least a 2 minute misting. I have found that it can take longer with some. It takes Beman 2 minutes just to realize the mister is even going off. lol Your branches will dry first. Plant leaves hold the water a bit longer. But this will dry out as well.
ok so I am starting to feel like if anything... the way it is is how I should want it then. Considering the difference in humidity, should I maybe hold back from using the fogger for a night or two and see how that goes? Or do you think what I am doing seems good?

ok so I am starting to feel like if anything... the way it is is how I should want it then. Considering the difference in humidity, should I maybe hold back from using the fogger for a night or two and see how that goes? Or do you think what I am doing seems good?
I think your obsessing on a very common thing that most newbies obsess about. Getting your cage balanced. As long as night time temps are dropping below 67 I would run the fogger if your wanting to do that. Most will do it for a few hours say 1-4 when temps are coolest. When I did fog I ran mine from 12-4.

Just don't hold back on misting because they need that too. It is all a balancing act. You will also find that you may get a bump in humidity as your plants grow in and the pots hold water. Stick with one method for a week. See where your levels are with that. Then make 1 adjustment at a time so you can see how that 1 thing impacts the overall picture. If you change multiple things you will not know what was most effective.

I think your obsessing on a very common thing that most newbies obsess about. Getting your cage balanced. As long as night time temps are dropping below 67 I would run the fogger if your wanting to do that. Most will do it for a few hours say 1-4 when temps are coolest. When I did fog I ran mine from 12-4.

Just don't hold back on misting because they need that too. It is all a balancing act. You will also find that you may get a bump in humidity as your plants grow in and the pots hold water. Stick with one method for a week. See where your levels are with that. Then make 1 adjustment at a time so you can see how that 1 thing impacts the overall picture. If you change multiple things you will not know what was most effective.
oh definitely. Especially since what happened with my Veiled. I'm beyond obsessive right now. As time goes on I'll be okay lol I just don't want to make any of the same mistakes I made before. Thank you so much for dealing with me :LOL:

oh definitely. Especially since what happened with my Veiled. I'm beyond obsessive right now. As time goes on I'll be okay lol I just don't want to make any of the same mistakes I made before. Thank you so much for dealing with me :LOL:
I was worse than you my first year... So I totally get it.

Sick veiled vs a healthy panther... two very very different things. You have set yourself up for success with him. Try to breath in between panic attacks lol

I was worse than you my first year... So I totally get it.

Sick veiled vs a healthy panther... two very very different things. You have set yourself up for success with him. Try to breath in between panic attacks lol
I'm trying lol but these conversations help me do that so much so I really appreciate it. I will get there!

Back
Top Bottom