Living Art- Vivarium Option

raven1139

Established Member
Screen cages seem to be the standard, but there are other options that work. I used to be the opponent to substrate and glass sides but times have changed.

I wanted to post my setup, after going years using screen cages. This setup requires no drainage and is a self contained ecosystem. Equiped with 3 6500k cfl plant bulbs and a 3 foot 5.0 t5.

Convection circulation helps minimize drafts, and the dry Colorado air. Also, double doors and cup feeding eliminates compaction risks.

0E3FD6AB-427A-4DFA-98C6-6B5FC1204C83.jpeg
A410C26B-EC53-4DD9-AAFB-1DA881449707.jpeg
FD0DE241-CD89-42C2-8179-2EA0C04D1E91.jpeg
8DE19F56-A10F-4A27-B46E-67C8FFA304A3.jpeg
3E3C5D57-D278-4294-833E-923742A6991E.jpeg
C9ACBCD7-6596-4CD0-9967-98E41D45BDE0.jpeg

Not at all with the cup feeding and organic soil. I would be hesitant to free range, and have a screened deli cup to let the feeders climb around and attract him. He hand feeds as well so that helps.

Not at all with the cup feeding and organic soil. I would be hesitant to free range, and have a screened deli cup to let the feeders climb around and attract him. He hand feeds as well so that helps.
Just make sure you supplement right, free ranging is not the only reason they eat soil. What is your soil mix? Do you have microfauna?

Is the double door ventilation at the top? How do you make sure there is good air flow?

There are vents surrounding the base, as the hot air rises it is replaced by fresh air. Yes I use microfauna and bio media layered. Never had bacteria or mold issues, actually had more problems with the screen cages and over watering to compensate for dry air.

That looks really good. The only problem I really have with those glass enclosures is their limited size. The 36x36x18 isn't bad (I actually prefer having the extra width for roaming over the extra height of the 48x24x24) but for an adult male panther I'd rather have something with more room like a Dragon Strand large atrium or the DIY 54x36x24 enclosure I built for my guy. Not everyone can make a custom enclosure and obviously yours is working good but I know my guys loved the extra room and used every inch of the extra space .

I was debating doing this for my female oustie, specifically to have soil depth for laying eggs. did u buy the substrate/bio or make your own ? if soo can I ask what your mix was ?

I find absolutely no risk of impaction as long as you use fine organic soil with no additives. They are built to naturally pass a little dirt through but not coco fibre, perlite, etc. If you could replace that soil with something without the white bits it be better.

I was debating doing this for my female oustie, specifically to have soil depth for laying eggs. did u buy the substrate/bio or make your own ? if soo can I ask what your mix was ?
That would probably be too small for an oustie, and that is not deep enough. If you want a soil mix, that would also depend on the environment. Do you have experience working with bioactive enclosures?

no I've just been looking into it, watching thebiodudes vids n a few others. I've been semi enclosing a reptibreeze xl for her to move in into. prolly just go with a bunch of plants and 24x24x12ish planter base with a removable lay bin.

Back
Top Bottom