Concerned about my cham

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 8.5 month old, male panther chameleon
Handling - Maybe once per week while maintaining his enclosure
Feeding - Daily-crickets and dubia, 3x per week-hornworms, 1x per week superworms or waxworms? He eats about 6-10 crickets or roaches per day, maybe 2-5 (1-1.2") hornworms per week, maybe 1-2 superworms per week/week and a half, maybe 5 waxworms per week? He is fed around 8am daily. Fed via Firehouse Geckos feeder run cup but definetely prefers tong feeding (which I know the risk and don't like doing it, but for some reason he is always more eager to eat from my tongs...please note that this is done VERY carefully with minimal grip on the feeder and move the tongs in a way that reduces his risk of coming in contact with tongs. His aim is always on point. All feeders are given kale, carrots, sweet red peppers, sweet potatoes, some apples and mango, Respashy's Bug Burger, and Lugarti's Dubia diet for dry food. All food is changed out every other day. On this avoid tongs... I have seen some horrible threads in here that involve tongs. Hand feed if he prefers that. You could also try a different type of feeder run. Full throttle makes a good one. Every thing else here looks good. I will try to switch to hand feeding in the interim. Prior to the Firehouse Gecko feeder cup I was using a homemade cup like the shooting gallery. He was never afraid of it. But he is on and off again "unsure" about this one. I will look into a different one.
Supplements - Every feeding I dust with Arcadia Earth Pro A and twice monthly I use Reptivite with D3 every other Saturday... This is perfectly fine. I do prefer repashy calcium plus LoD version to Reptivite with D3. Repashy does not add phosphorus while reptivite has a 2:1 ratio. Also Repashy LoD has a lower D3 and A amount while still being highly effective. No need to over supplement with fat soluble vitamins so I prefer the Repashy LoD for this reason plus it is a much finer powder. I am not pleased with how the Reptivite sticks to the feeders. I dont not feel like much is sticking at all so I was looking into ordering the Repashy LoD instead.
Watering - I try to follow the hydration schedule posted on the chameleonacademy. I use Mist King for watering and ReptiFogger to help with nighttime humidity. During the day I will use a dripper. Are you running any mistings when lights are on or are you sticking pretty close to Cham academy of before lights on and after off? Yes my nighttime misting schedule matching the fogging schedule. Quick 1 min intervals misting while 20 mins fog.
Fecal Description - Large white urate and a nice hydrated. But lately have been a little more runny and not as often. Thought could be because of me often feeding hornworms. So a runny urate can actually be a sign of over hydration. If it is more like egg whites instead of a formed urate this is typical of over hydration. You can correct this to see if this is the cause by cutting back your fogging duration at night. His urate looks bright white and solid with good shape. Its the rest that has started to become more running. His pooping was also always right on schedule everyday in the same spot. Glorious looking poops. But lately there has been time where he goes a day or two plus.
History - He has always shown interest in getting to the soil of my live plants. All plants are repotted, roots and leaves washed, and replaced with organic soil. not surprising at all and it is good you covered it so he can not get to it. Panthers will eat dry leaves as well.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 36x18x26 Exo terra converted to a 3 sided hybrid with DragonLedges... If he ends up being a big boy this cage may prove to be too small. The good thing about it is that it is a wide format but the depth and height are smaller and this is where for an adult male you may have an issue. I did purchase this cage as a "starter" cage and do feel that I try my very best to increase the usability of all the space inside, I do admit that it does feel too small IMO. I am torn because I love the 48" wide bakers rack keeping the entire setup clean and organized, but I have considered switching to the standard 2x2x4. My concern there is its quite a bit less horizontal space so I have really wanted to attempt the double wide XL. But that would throw out my entire rack because it then will no longer fit.....its been a dilemma for me
Lighting - 22" Arcadia fixture with Arcadia 6% t5ho bulb, 22" Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED, 75 watt basking bulb, and one additional 6500k led bulb in a dome. Each light turns on and off with a 5 mins delay apart using smart plug timer schedule. This is where I would switch it up because you have a 36 wide cage it is better to have the full span of coverage for UVB. I would have a 36 inch UVB fixture with 34 inch 6% bulb in it on this cage instead of the 22 inch. You could get a 6500k daylight bulb to put in the 24 inch T5 fixture to give more plant light. What is your total distance from the bottom of the UVB fixture to the branches below? with this fixture and bulb you need 8-9 inches to the branch to put the cham in the correct UVI level.
Temperature - Basking branch is about 8 inches below bulb and temps around 85, opposite end of cage temps 77-80 up top, bottom temps at 70 (bulb in resting on wire rack above enclosure. Lowest overnight temp is 65-66 degrees. I have two small Govee hygrometers and and digital display one as well. This is all good. I would not let basking go over 85 though.
Humidity - Daytime low is 42-50%. I run nighttime fog in 20 min intervals starting at 1am, 3am, 5am, and 6am along with a misting schedule of 1am, 3am, 5am, 6am, 7pm and 8pm for 1 min intervals. I have 3 pothos and 3 Schefflera Consider running a misting in the morning right after lights go on. Gives him the opportunity to drink but also clean his eyes if he needs to. About 30 mins after lights on I hand mist. Around 10am and maybe again later in the afternoon use a drip cup. Only occasionally do I actually see him drink.
Placement - Located in my home office. It does receive some foot traffic? It is not near any vents of window. The bottom of the cage is 35" off the ground on a metal rack.
Location - About an hour NorthEast of Sacramento, CA? You can use this link to find a reptile vet near you https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661 Thank you, I will definitely look into a vet. It is never a good time for fork over a bunch of money, but right now isn't the most ideal time. I would hate to "price shop" a vet but if anyone had any recommendation on an "affordable" exotics vet in the area, I would also appreciate that advise as well.

Current Problem - Recently (over the last 2-3 weeks) he has stopped coming out of his sleep spot (hidden deep in the large pothos under the mister) when lights come on. I usually drop fresh feeders in his cup around 8am every morning and he was always waiting in front of his cup like "where's my food human" Now he may come out of his spot when I go in to do something in his cage but otherwise he could stay in a large portion of the day. He has also spent more time hanging out at the bottom and even floor walking that bare bottom which has had me concerned. Since this morning he had not pooped for 3 days. The two poops before today were rather runny. Todays was a little better but still a bit on the runny side. He is eating about 8 crickets a day and a hornworm every couple days. Lately he has been ignoring the dubia unless I move one onto a branch with my tongs and get it moving. His grip strength is strong, his colors look ok. I am not seeing any major signs of visual distress. He has also been very interested in eating plant soil. I have had to cover all plants with fiberglass screen and put large river rocks over the top. So he will often patrol down and see if he can still find a way into the soil. At this point I am concerned of maybe parasites from one of the times I've been in a pinch a needed Petsmart crickets or some other means. If advised a vet visit is necessary, could someone recommended one in the area? I will include photos of setup and my cham

Has anything changes in his environment or the room in the last few weeks? About two months ago I have a large ficus tree as the center piece and it overgrew like crazy and IMO overcrowded that cage and also wasn't providing a large enough branch diameter for his feet. I removed that and added more large pothos and umbrella trees. Since then his grip strength has gotten noticeably stronger. So I would say a major interior cage design would throw him off but I think he's had time to acclimate to that change.

At 9 months you may see a curb down on eating this is pretty common. The fact that he is still eating is a good sign. However I would get a fecal test run to rule out parasites. I've been tempted to start cutting his feeder down, but with his weird behavior, his interest in food and seeing him properly shoot his tongue has been the only thing giving me comfort these past couple weeks.

Supplements - Every feeding I dust with Arcadia Earth Pro A and twice monthly I use Reptivite with D3 every other Saturday... This is perfectly fine. I do prefer repashy calcium plus LoD version to Reptivite with D3. Repashy does not add phosphorus while reptivite has a 2:1 ratio. Also Repashy LoD has a lower D3 and A amount while still being highly effective. No need to over supplement with fat soluble vitamins so I prefer the Repashy LoD for this reason plus it is a much finer powder. I am not pleased with how the Reptivite sticks to the feeders. I dont not feel like much is sticking at all so I was looking into ordering the Repashy LoD instead.
You do not want a ton sticking so do not stress that... I use cricket shaker cups and love them. Makes it very easy to coat the insect and shake off excess. But I would consider switching to the repashy calcium plus LoD.
Fecal Description - Large white urate and a nice hydrated. But lately have been a little more runny and not as often. Thought could be because of me often feeding hornworms. So a runny urate can actually be a sign of over hydration. If it is more like egg whites instead of a formed urate this is typical of over hydration. You can correct this to see if this is the cause by cutting back your fogging duration at night. His urate looks bright white and solid with good shape. Its the rest that has started to become more running. His pooping was also always right on schedule everyday in the same spot. Glorious looking poops. But lately there has been time where he goes a day or two plus.
Is the fecal becoming runny then? As long as the urate has form we are good on hydration. It is when it looks like egg whites we are overdoing it.
Cage Type - 36x18x26 Exo terra converted to a 3 sided hybrid with DragonLedges... If he ends up being a big boy this cage may prove to be too small. The good thing about it is that it is a wide format but the depth and height are smaller and this is where for an adult male you may have an issue. I did purchase this cage as a "starter" cage and do feel that I try my very best to increase the usability of all the space inside, I do admit that it does feel too small IMO. I am torn because I love the 48" wide bakers rack keeping the entire setup clean and organized, but I have considered switching to the standard 2x2x4. My concern there is its quite a bit less horizontal space so I have really wanted to attempt the double wide XL. But that would throw out my entire rack because it then will no longer fit.....its been a dilemma for me
I prefer the horizontal space as well. I have one of the old Dragon strand cages that is 30 inches wide and could not imagine having a 24in wide after this one. And your sure that two of the 24 inch cages could not fit on the rack then you could hook them together? Unless you want to spend some money and get a Dragon strand atrium ;) Could always get a larger bakers rack. :)
Location - About an hour NorthEast of Sacramento, CA? You can use this link to find a reptile vet near you https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661 Thank you, I will definitely look into a vet. It is never a good time for fork over a bunch of money, but right now isn't the most ideal time. I would hate to "price shop" a vet but if anyone had any recommendation on an "affordable" exotics vet in the area, I would also appreciate that advise as well.
See if you can find one that will let you just bring in the fecal sample. Most exotics understand stress is not a good thing with a chameleon. So there are some that will let you bring in the fresh fecal sample first. Then if it pops up with anything they require the cham be seen for treatment.
Has anything changes in his environment or the room in the last few weeks? About two months ago I have a large ficus tree as the center piece and it overgrew like crazy and IMO overcrowded that cage and also wasn't providing a large enough branch diameter for his feet. I removed that and added more large pothos and umbrella trees. Since then his grip strength has gotten noticeably stronger. So I would say a major interior cage design would throw him off but I think he's had time to acclimate to that change.

At 9 months you may see a curb down on eating this is pretty common. The fact that he is still eating is a good sign. However I would get a fecal test run to rule out parasites. I've been tempted to start cutting his feeder down, but with his weird behavior, his interest in food and seeing him properly shoot his tongue has been the only thing giving me comfort these past couple weeks.
I would not reduce food yet. Get a fecal first and just rule out parasites. If there is a parasite issue we want him eating.
Even colder night temps than they are used to can cause them to stay tucked in longer. The going to the bottom does not concern me as he is at the age to start patrolling his area.

Common misconception about this supplement. I really wish they would not have named it that to avoid the confusion. Arcadia supplements are very different then other more common supplements. Even their revitalize D3 has extremely low levels of vitamin A and D3 in it compared to other companies like Repashy and reptivite with d3.
Interesting. Also I totally agree. Less than ideal name. Good to know.

You do not want a ton sticking so do not stress that... I use cricket shaker cups and love them. Makes it very easy to coat the insect and shake off excess. But I would consider switching to the repashy calcium plus LoD.
Yes I follow the rule of not looking like snowmen. I just notice the calcium sticks too easy and the Reptivite, I have to make a conscience effort to get anything to stick.
Is the fecal becoming runny then? As long as the urate has form we are good on hydration. It is when it looks like egg whites we are overdoing it.
Yes the fecal it what has become runny
I prefer the horizontal space as well. I have one of the old Dragon strand cages that is 30 inches wide and could not imagine having a 24in wide after this one. And your sure that two of the 24 inch cages could not fit on the rack then you could hook them together? Unless you want to spend some money and get a Dragon strand atrium ;) Could always get a larger bakers rack. :)
I am sure, I have measured the width and its barely off. I believe two DragonStrands would fit side by side (but I cant say that 100% sure) Ugh I would love any of Bill cages. But at the cost of any Atrium is just quite alot after shipping.
See if you can find one that will let you just bring in the fecal sample. Most exotics understand stress is not a good thing with a chameleon. So there are some that will let you bring in the fresh fecal sample first. Then if it pops up with anything they require the cham be seen for treatment.
Oh that would be a great option. If they can test first without a full exam, there might be possibility to save there.
I would not reduce food yet. Get a fecal first and just rule out parasites. If there is a parasite issue we want him eating. I will continue feeding until he is no longer interested in food for now.
Even colder night temps than they are used to can cause them to stay tucked in longer. The going to the bottom does not concern me as he is at the age to start patrolling his area. My ambient room temp is 70 from about 9am and around 7pm we will let it cool down to around 65 degrees. I have noticed him walking the cage bare bottom alot lately and that is something he has never done. I do not let escape feeders stay on the ground or out of the feeder cup in general and I keep the cage bottom clean and remove fecals right away

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 8.5 month old, male panther chameleon
Handling - Maybe once per week while maintaining his enclosure
Feeding - Daily-crickets and dubia, 3x per week-hornworms, 1x per week superworms or waxworms? He eats about 6-10 crickets or roaches per day, maybe 2-5 (1-1.2") hornworms per week, maybe 1-2 superworms per week/week and a half, maybe 5 waxworms per week? He is fed around 8am daily. Fed via Firehouse Geckos feeder run cup but definetely prefers tong feeding (which I know the risk and don't like doing it, but for some reason he is always more eager to eat from my tongs...please note that this is done VERY carefully with minimal grip on the feeder and move the tongs in a way that reduces his risk of coming in contact with tongs. His aim is always on point. All feeders are given kale, carrots, sweet red peppers, sweet potatoes, some apples and mango, Respashy's Bug Burger, and Lugarti's Dubia diet for dry food. All food is changed out every other day.
Supplements - Every feeding I dust with Arcadia Earth Pro A and twice monthly I use Reptivite with D3 every other Saturday
Watering - I try to follow the hydration schedule posted on the chameleonacademy. I use Mist King for watering and ReptiFogger to help with nighttime humidity. During the day I will use a dripper.
Fecal Description - Large white urate and a nice hydrated. But lately have been a little more runny and not as often. Thought could be because of me often feeding hornworms.
History - He has always shown interest in getting to the soil of my live plants. All plants are repotted, roots and leaves washed, and replaced with organic soil.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 36x18x26 Exo terra converted to a 3 sided hybrid with DragonLedges
Lighting - 22" Arcadia fixture with Arcadia 6% t5ho bulb, 22" Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED, 75 watt basking bulb, and one additional 6500k led bulb in a dome. Each light turns on and off with a 5 mins delay apart using smart plug timer schedule.
Temperature - Basking branch is about 8 inches below bulb and temps around 85, opposite end of cage temps 77-80 up top, bottom temps at 70 (bulb in resting on wire rack above enclosure. Lowest overnight temp is 65-66 degrees. I have two small Govee hygrometers and and digital display one as well.
Humidity - Daytime low is 42-50%. I run nighttime fog in 20 min intervals starting at 1am, 3am, 5am, and 6am along with a misting schedule of 1am, 3am, 5am, 6am, 7pm and 8pm for 1 min intervals. I have 3 pothos and 3 Schefflera
Placement - Located in my home office. It does receive some foot traffic? It is not near any vents of window. The bottom of the cage is 35" off the ground on a metal rack.
Location - About an hour NorthEast of Sacramento, CA?

Current Problem - Recently (over the last 2-3 weeks) he has stopped coming out of his sleep spot (hidden deep in the large pothos under the mister) when lights come on. I usually drop fresh feeders in his cup around 8am every morning and he was always waiting in front of his cup like "where's my food human" Now he may come out of his spot when I go in to do something in his cage but otherwise he could stay in a large portion of the day. He has also spent more time hanging out at the bottom and even floor walking that bare bottom which has had me concerned. Since this morning he had not pooped for 3 days. The two poops before today were rather runny. Todays was a little better but still a bit on the runny side. He is eating about 8 crickets a day and a hornworm every couple days. Lately he has been ignoring the dubia unless I move one onto a branch with my tongs and get it moving. His grip strength is strong, his colors look ok. I am not seeing any major signs of visual distress. He has also been very interested in eating plant soil. I have had to cover all plants with fiberglass screen and put large river rocks over the top. So he will often patrol down and see if he can still find a way into the soil. At this point I am concerned of maybe parasites from one of the times I've been in a pinch a needed Petsmart crickets or some other means. If advised a vet visit is necessary, could someone recommended one in the area? I will include photos of setup and my cham
Just a thought, is it possible he’s lost his appetite and is hiding out in that plant because he located a small spot of soil that is uncovered. Maybe he doesn’t have any interest in coming out because he’s content there snacking on soil 😂. Im not sure… chams can be pretty mischievous though.

Just a thought, is it possible he’s lost his appetite and is hiding out in that plant because he located a small spot of soil that is uncovered. Maybe he doesn’t have any interest in coming out because he’s content there snacking on soil 😂. Im not sure… chams can be pretty mischievous though.
I could see that being a possible idea. However its his same nightime spot hes had for months. I can see him clearly through the cage but he does a good job in hiding underneath the pot and buried in the pothos. I will try and post a photo of him sleeping in this spot. I do keep the front of the cage (not covering the service door) covered with a large black contractor bag that I clip to the rack to give full darkness and help hold nighttime humidity

Your funny! I have been here for 4 years so I am far to familiar with it lol.

Ok well you can convert two 2x2x4 cages and make them one... Totally doable and get the PVC sheet to put on the back and two sides. @MissSkittles has combined two cages before. I prefer the DIYcages over the zoomed ones though.
And I get it I had an atrium. Spent a ton getting it all set up. lol

Now then fecal getting runny could be due to hornworms. We just do not want to see it mucousy.

Everything else sounds normal especially walking the bottom. All of mine that I have had have done this at the 9-12 month point.

Very possible. these guys are worse than toddlers. :LOL:

Your funny! I have been here for 4 years so I am far to familiar with it lol.

Ok well you can convert two 2x2x4 cages and make them one... Totally doable and get the PVC sheet to put on the back and two sides. @MissSkittles has combined two cages before. I prefer the DIYcages over the zoomed ones though.
And I get it I had an atrium. Spent a ton getting it all set up. lol

Now then fecal getting runny could be due to hornworms. We just do not want to see it mucousy.

Everything else sounds normal especially walking the bottom. All of mine that I have had have done this at the 9-12 month point.
I do often get hornworms because they are readily available at my local petstore (not chain) I would like to get silks but aren't easy to find in stock and usually a wait.

You say not mucousy....Today's fecal definitely had a mucusy appearance to it :(

I do have concerns over parasites and especially since two weeks ago I recently purchased a 3 month old female panther from Frams. I should have mentioned that earlier but my males concerns started before getting a female. Also want to clarify that neither one have ever seen each other. My major concern right now is that I care for both of these chams together. I am working between both cages and do try to wash my hands when switching between cages but if parasites ARE an issue, I would almost expect some cross contamination. Even more painful to think is i spent two months growing out a really awesome full bioactive Leap Enclosure for her and fear I would have to scrap the entire setup if parasites were introduced

Last edited:
Ok so fecal test would be a good idea.

Order silkworms. We have a few site sponsors that sell them https://www.chameleonforums.com/sponsors/?tag=food
Thank you again for the link. After calling quite a few I was able to find one that sounded far more knowledgeable about chameleons. They agreed to wait until I can collect sample and drop it off just to test. They suggested putting it in a ziplock bag and placing it in the fridge and calling to schedule the drop off. Does this sound accurate to you?

We just have to be careful in this type of forum. We get so many visitors here every day in the hundreds and they may see incorrect info and not come back to see when someone says that is not correct. I just never want people to get wrong information here. There are so many places online that are loaded with incorrect info. We want to ensure that people coming to the forum feel secure that the information they get is true and in the best interest of them and their chameleon.

Ok so fecal test would be a good idea.

Order silkworms. We have a few site sponsors that sell them https://www.chameleonforums.com/sponsors/?tag=food
Hi @Beman as I am waiting for my cham to produce a fecal sample I can take in, I have orders BSFL (which I have never dealt with before) and want to order silkworms so I can dial back the hornworms, but I am always finding most of the places are often sold out. Would buying eggs be an ideal option so it could be used more often than the occasional order?

Hi @Beman as I am waiting for my cham to produce a fecal sample I can take in, I have orders BSFL (which I have never dealt with before) and want to order silkworms so I can dial back the hornworms, but I am always finding most of the places are often sold out. Would buying eggs be an ideal option so it could be used more often than the occasional order?
Hey there check with Alycia at A&R bugz she almost always has them available. I am tagging her here as well although she is not in the forum very often @Alycia https://www.arbugz.com/
You can send her a message through her website. She is a wonderful person and will try to get you some asap.

BSFL are pretty simple to deal with. Once they pupate they become hard and almost black in color. Then they will hatch out as a fly. These are great for chams as an enrichment feeder. You just let them loose in the cage. While in larvae stage you just feed them to the cham.

Hey there check with Alycia at A&R bugz she almost always has them available. I am tagging her here as well although she is not in the forum very often @Alycia https://www.arbugz.com/
You can send her a message through her website. She is a wonderful person and will try to get you some asap.

BSFL are pretty simple to deal with. Once they pupate they become hard and almost black in color. Then they will hatch out as a fly. These are great for chams as an enrichment feeder. You just let them loose in the cage. While in larvae stage you just feed them to the cham.
Great thank you so much. I was able to place an order with them

Back
Top Bottom