Little positive things...

What are you using to hold up your feeder? I have the same one and I have it wedged into between sticks and using the magnet but I'm afraid when my cham gets heavier.
Ah! Good question. I have the top magnet affixed to the PVC. I had the same concern. I knoooow future “he” will climb on top and feared the weight could knock it down. Sooo I sanded a small section on the back of the feeder right under the last screw. Hot glued a metal spacer there. Ordered neodymium magnets and attached one to the exterior. Hot glued a tiny square of Velcro onto the spacer for texture/grip, then hot glued a magnet onto that. So it’s now magnetized at the bottom too.

I’m sure there’s a much easier way but I couldn’t think of one!!

Ah! Good question. I have the top magnet affixed to the PVC. I had the same concern. I knoooow future “he” will climb on top and feared the weight could knock it down. Sooo I sanded a small section on the back of the feeder right under the last screw. Hot glued a metal spacer there. Ordered neodymium magnets and attached one to the exterior. Hot glued a tiny square of Velcro onto the spacer for texture/grip, then hot glued a magnet onto that. So it’s now magnetized at the bottom too.

I’m sure there’s a much easier way but I couldn’t think of one!!
Awesome! I'm gonna try this too!! Thank you. 😁

Working slowly but steadily on this project. The sides are done! My mantra is no wasted space. Next step is foaming. Then middle branch work. Boyfriend dubbed me “crazy branch lady,” can’t imagine why?! :LOL:

Then why use foam? :unsure: It does take up space. Be sure to use a method that allows for changing plants/pots in case one dies or gets too big. Also pot drainage.

I have a feeder of similar design. I was surprised to learn I need to take it out frequently for cleaning, but I expect that applies to all feeders. ;) I have it attached with 2 zipties clipped short—loose enough to remove & replace as necessary for cleaning, but tight enough to hold it without slipping (and support the weight of a cham, should that happen).

Then why use foam? :unsure: It does take up space. Be sure to use a method that allows for changing plants/pots in case one dies or gets too big. Also pot drainage.

I have a feeder of similar design. I was surprised to learn I need to take it out frequently for cleaning, but I expect that applies to all feeders. ;) I have it attached with 2 zipties clipped short—loose enough to remove & replace as necessary for cleaning, but tight enough to hold it without slipping (and support the weight of a cham, should that happen).

You bring up a good point! I’ve thought of that recently... how the foam will take up more space. My plan was to just foam around the fronts of the pots and try to foam over most visible zip ties. I wonder if it would look wonky to foam 3 pots and leave 3 pots au naturale. Not on the same side, of course.

F5228296-E61C-4C08-811D-15ADA811136B.jpeg
28FA48D2-E5BA-488E-9C91-791E72859C98.jpeg BEB31956-7584-4EDF-9B45-94F94B862266.jpeg
I flippin’ foamed...and I loved it!!!!Lol. Honestly was a lot of fun, and quite a process, working with Great Stuff. Also foamed a pot that will be used outside of the enclosure as a part of the free range area!

Plan to carve and stick some air plants into some of the small zip tie foam areas too..

I’m a great WFH employee, I swear 😂

This is what I got going on now!!
Questions:
# of plants ok....? Hoping for plant growth over time
Currently 8 potted plants and 3 air plants
More branches needed....?

*Edit: I refuse to upgrade my iPhone 7 and I realize the picture quality is lacking lol.
AB9C3B94-28AB-409F-ADBE-925DCA50BE60.jpeg
59EC56C3-F6CC-4567-9ABC-27D083478DAC.jpeg
A8C26633-B499-493C-A4C0-7C7DF3DA0FF3.jpeg

Questions:
# of plants ok....? Hoping for plant growth over time
Currently 8 potted plants and 3 air plants
More branches needed....?
Answers:
I don't recall exactly what you've got. From what I can see, bromeliad will survive, but they only bloom once (but that can last 6 mo.) Air plants aren't likely to grow much, and very slowly at that. Spider should grow fast & lush—you may even need to cut it back at some point. I'm not much good at identifying the others. Wandering Jew, Pothos, and some Philodendrons are all fast-growing vines (climbers or trailing). Most kinds of Dracaena are relatively fast & lush. Hibiscus are also good; I'd choose one of the perrenial varieties (some are annuals).

If your cham can get from any place to any other place (which it looks like from here) you should be good. Paths don't necessarily have to be direct/express.

Answers:
I don't recall exactly what you've got. From what I can see, bromeliad will survive, but they only bloom once (but that can last 6 mo.) Air plants aren't likely to grow much, and very slowly at that. Spider should grow fast & lush—you may even need to cut it back at some point. I'm not much good at identifying the others. Wandering Jew, Pothos, and some Philodendrons are all fast-growing vines (climbers or trailing). Most kinds of Dracaena are relatively fast & lush. Hibiscus are also good; I'd choose one of the perrenial varieties (some are annuals).

If your cham can get from any place to any other place (which it looks like from here) you should be good. Paths don't necessarily have to be direct/express.
Thank you for the response!!! Yep bromeliad, spider-pothos hybrid (we’ll see what happens there), pothos, 2 nerve plants, 1 polka dot, 1 money tree, and 1 coffee plant.

Pathways - my boyfriend tells me “there are no shortcuts” in the branching so I’m all concerned about that now of course....

Pothos will create shortcuts as it winds thru your branch network. It's strong vines are enough to support an adult Chameleon while climbing. I have always used my pothos as a hanging plant but am tryit to use moss stakes and or a trellis like a branch networks to get them to grow up. You'll get larger leaves from philodendron and pothos as well as monstera if thet grow upward. The build looks great I can't wait to see it grown in !

Back
Top Bottom