First Time Chameleon Owner Setup

Rolander

I’m a first time chameleon owner, I have had my male 3.5 month old Nosy Faly Panther chameleon named Carlos for three days now and have really enjoyed having him. He seems to to be adapting well to his new environment and really liking his new cage set up. I do not have any great pictures of him at this point because I have been letting him get settled in. I did a lot of research on this forum and listened to many chameleon academy podcast episodes before setting up my cage and bringing home my little guy. I know I have a ton to learn, but I feel like this forum and the chameleon academy podcast gave me the info I needed to get started.

I was really excited to see him eat his first crickets yesterday. I placed a couple of crickets near him with tongs and he ate them up. I’m feeding him small 1/4 inch crickets and BSFL. The food bowl I got is a bird feeder bowl, I found out that the crickets escape out of it quickly. The BSFL stay in there as long as it doesn’t get wet from the Mist king. (I’m going to move his food bowl up higher, I put it where I did because he liked to hang out near that spot) I have ordered the shooting gallery which will show up any day now so that I can feed his crickets in there. Will eventually like to add in dubia roaches and other feeders.

My setup is a Zoo Med ReptiBreeze 24" x 24" x 48". I used oak branches throughout the cage. I installed dragon strand ledges to mount structural branches that connect the networking and perching branches as the chameleon academy recommended.

For humidity I went with the MistKing Starter misting system. I have the Zoo Med Big Dripper set up with the IV dripper mod to better control the drip rate. I was excited to see my little guy drinking water droplets off of his pathos a couple times today after the droplets had landed.

For drainage I have the dragon strand drainage tray underneath my cage. I installed a drain in the drainage tray and attached PVC pipe that drains all of the access water into a 5 gallon bucket sitting in the cabinet directly underneath the cage.

For UVB I have the Zoo Med Reptisun 24” T5 HO terrarium hood with an Arcadia 22" 6% bulb mounted about 9 inches above the basking area.

For the basking area, I have incandescent 60 watt light in a Zoo Med dome hanging from a Exo Terra lamp holder which is mounted with self taping screws to the back of the cage. The temps average around 80-83 degrees where he like to bask.

For my plant light I have the SANSI 70W LED plant light. I have all live plants in the cage. The main plant in his cage is a money tree which he seems to love. I have a pathos in the top right part of the cage which has become his favorite hide out and sleeping spot. Other live plants include a Bromeliad and small Parlor palm and umbrella tree to fill the bottom space.

Really enjoy having my panther chameleon and look forward to building trust with him.

Attachments

• IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0865.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 168
You have done a wonderful job... Only thing I see is the climbing net... Really should pull that its meant for a bearded dragon. They are hard to clean, harbor bacteria, do not dry out, and they can get their little nails caught in them. Just add more sticks for easy movement.

I love this feeder run and I have it high in the cage where he can easily get to it and see it from basking level. So basically middle of the feeder should line up with the basking level. Keeps bugs contained and makes them feel like they are hunting.
https://tkchameleons.com/

I’m a first time chameleon owner, I have had my male 3.5 month old Nosy Faly Panther chameleon named Carlos for three days now and have really enjoyed having him.

Well done. You really have done your research and put it to good use. If only all chams were so lucky to have such an attentive and dedicated owner!

You have done a wonderful job... Only thing I see is the climbing net... Really should pull that its meant for a bearded dragon. They are hard to clean, harbor bacteria, do not dry out, and they can get their little nails caught in them. Just add more sticks for easy movement.

I love this feeder run and I have it high in the cage where he can easily get to it and see it from basking level. So basically middle of the feeder should line up with the basking level. Keeps bugs contained and makes them feel like they are hunting.
https://tkchameleons.com/
Thanks, appreciate that! That is good to know. I haven’t seen him use the hammock it so I will take it down. I have some more branches I can use in that space.

Perfect, I ordered that exact feeder run in a size large a couple days ago and it should be arriving any day now. I will set it up high at basking level so that he can easily see it.

Well done. You really have done your research and put it to good use. If only all chams were so lucky to have such an attentive and dedicated owner!
Appreciate that compliment, I'm glad I found this forum and had access to good information from people who have lots of experience with chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom