Introducing Clive! (And a question on screen walking)

Hello Everyone!

I am a long time forum viewer and thought it was time I finally make an account. I first just want to say thank you so much to community. I referenced chameleon forums every step of building my enclosure and raising my panther chameleon Clive from juvi to adult!

Here he is:
IMG_4237.jpg

He is a 1-year old F1 Nosy Be that can be a little shy at times.
IMG_4226.jpg

This is his enclosure:
IMG_4239.jpg
IMG_4240.jpg

It is a 24x24x48 reptibreeze deluxe and recent upgrade from Clive's juvenile cage (the 16x16x30) and he seems to be much happier here, more active and more colorful. I am using a MistKing starter set/pump with a 2-gallon reservoir (misting 10mins three times a day). The lighting is a quad T5HO fixture I bought from LightYourReptiles with a 6% UVB bulb. For basking he has a 75W incandescent ZooMed day bulb. As you can see the plants haven't quite filled in the space yet (just put them in there a week ago when I was building it) but there is a dwarf umbrella plant, ficus benjamina, pothos, and Oaxaca plant. The ficus is dropping leaves but I see new growth coming in fast so I hope that will end shortly. The branches of his enclosure are a combination of artificial vine and real branches from my local park (washed of course). I am using the dragon ledges from Bill at dragonstrand with a heavy duty drainage tray.

Ambient temperature in my apartment is about 73 F. His diet is varied with crickets, superworms, and hornworms. They are dusted with Repashy's Calcium Plus LoD every other feeding.

Now for a quick question: When Clive was in his older (admittedly too small) cage, he started walking on the screen cage far too often. I would often see him scratching at the corners of the old cage and pawing the surface as well. I figured it was because he wanted more space. Unfortunately he lost one nail during this time (it certainly sped me along to finish setting up his new cage). While he has stopped the clawing and scratching at the cage, I have found him sometimes still wall climbing. Is there anything I can add or do to discourage this behavior?

Thank you!

Welcome! Clive is a beautiful boy!

The screen climbing should start to settle down now that he's in a larger enclosure, but you can consider putting in a lattice or similar to help keep him off the mesh. It'll work even better in a ReptiBreeze deluxe, since you have the clear door panel! This is what I did for my sick little girl, Lily:

20200106_141731.jpg

The lattice is quite sturdy, and beyond being a good vertical climbing rig it's also fantastic for attaching branches (and pots!) to. And it doesn't look too terrible, either! I was pretty lazy with this one, and just used bamboo stakes lashed together with zipties... but I'm it can be done to look more attractive. I'll probably redo it at some point!

Welcome! Clive is a beautiful boy!

The screen climbing should start to settle down now that he's in a larger enclosure, but you can consider putting in a lattice or similar to help keep him off the mesh. It'll work even better in a ReptiBreeze deluxe, since you have the clear door panel! This is what I did for my sick little girl, Lily:

View attachment 256321

The lattice is quite sturdy, and beyond being a good vertical climbing rig it's also fantastic for attaching branches (and pots!) to. And it doesn't look too terrible, either! I was pretty lazy with this one, and just used bamboo stakes lashed together with zipties... but I'm it can be done to look more attractive. I'll probably redo it at some point!

Thank you so much!

Oh I see! That seems like a good strategy. Maybe I can contrive some things to look like vines going down the side of the cage.

Do you think, as is, that he has enough vertical perches and climbing spaces? I do see some empty space I could fill as well but I am not sure what is TOO much.

The only thing I would say is remove the repticarpet. He is gorgeous!

Thank you!

Why do you suggest removing the carpet? I honestly have it in there as it makes cleanup a little easier and no poop makes its way into the drainage tray. That being said, always open to suggestions.

Thank you!

Why do you suggest removing the carpet? I honestly have it in there as it makes cleanup a little easier and no poop makes its way into the drainage tray. That being said, always open to suggestions.

ReptiCarpet tends to not dry out between mistings in chameleon enclosures, creating the perfect habitat for microbial growth. Clive poops on it, maybe a feeder manages to escape containment, walks over the contaminated carpet, gets eaten by Clive... it's a relatively small risk, but a risk nonetheless! Personally, I'm a bioactive keeper. But barebottom makes wiping up and disinfecting things much easier than the carpet overall!

Thank you so much!

Oh I see! That seems like a good strategy. Maybe I can contrive some things to look like vines going down the side of the cage.

Do you think, as is, that he has enough vertical perches and climbing spaces? I do see some empty space I could fill as well but I am not sure what is TOO much.

Your pathways look pretty solid to me, but sometimes chams just get it into their heads that they want to go straight up the sides, Haha! There's a fine line between enough and too much. Personally, I just jam things in there and see how my chams react. Both of my girls are front are center 85% of the time, regardless!

Re: the idea of vines - I was actually thinking about that the other day! Maybe if I rolled some good rope in LiquidRubber, coated it with dirt/cocofibre, and sort of arranged a "web" cascading down the walls...? They wouldn't be terribly sturdy and I'm not sure I could use them the same way as I'm using the lattice as anchor points, but it'd be pretty! Maybe a more sparse frame with "vines" as accent pieces to disguise it? Hmmm! I'll have to sit down and do some thinking!

ReptiCarpet tends to not dry out between mistings in chameleon enclosures, creating the perfect habitat for microbial growth. Clive poops on it, maybe a feeder manages to escape containment, walks over the contaminated carpet, gets eaten by Clive... it's a relatively small risk, but a risk nonetheless! Personally, I'm a bioactive keeper. But barebottom makes wiping up and disinfecting things much easier than the carpet overall!

So on your advice I pulled up the repticarpet. Man...it reminded me of my aquarium filters in smell of bacteria...

Thanks for the solid direction!

As to the cage walking...maybe I will add some vinework in the more bare areas just to help him out haha.

Back
Top Bottom