Lighting for a Jackson's Cham

seaneeeg

Im new on here and was wondering if anyone knows about the actual fluorescent bulbs. I was looking into getting a new T5 bulb and fixture setup when my electrician said he could get me bulbs for half the price. Now my question, while rather obvious at this point, what are, if any, differences between the reptile fluorescent bulbs compared to what you would find at an electrical wholesale store? Thanx
Seaneeeg

welcome to the forum!
i have read that standard fluorescent bulbs do not provide the needed UVB for chameleons. the UVB is given off by specially designed fluorescent bulbs or UVB emmitting mercury vapor bulbs. i may be wrong, but i thought i would share what i have read on a different reptile site :) others will chime in soon with their thoughts as well!
also, this is a wonderful caresheet on jacksons, it has some info on lighting as well! https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/

Exactly what reptilelover18 said. You need the specific reptile UVB bulbs, not a standard house fluorescent.

5.0 is the standard for chameleons. I tend to like Zoomed VS Exo-Terra, but both work.

I got mine from Light Your Reptiles on the forums. Todd is great and will help you set up everything to your needs. Arcadia are also a great brand. Send him a PM on the forums or just head over to his sight on the sponsers page, you won't be dissappointed!!

Back
Top Bottom