Larger than life 40x30 Jacksons Chameleon in charcoal !!!

kelly_girl199

Avid Member
thought everyone would appreciate this!!This is my very large project. 42x30 drawing in charcoal on grey Matt board. It is ALMOST finished. A little tweaking left but just about finished!
image.jpeg

thought everyone would appreciate this!!This is my very large project. 42x30 drawing in charcoal on grey Matt board. It is ALMOST finished. A little tweaking left but just about finished!View attachment 168261

I'd bet money that if you wanted to make drawings for people for money, you could make a few sales on here. If you had a really nice one of a panther chameleon, I'd be the first in line.

Wicked art for sure. You definitely are talented. I too, would love to see more!

I'd bet money that if you wanted to make drawings for people for money, you could make a few sales on here. If you had a really nice one of a panther chameleon, I'd be the first in line.

Wicked art for sure. You definitely are talented. I too, would love to see more!
I am doing a painting for my next art project I believe. I have a few other mandatory projects that come first for classes....but this was a first choice project and I took full advantage! And I would LOVE to do comission work for people on here!Its just time consuming at the moment with grad classes.

Unfortunately this is actually my first attempt at a chameleon.I was working off of several different sources to put this one together. However I am planning on doing more chameleon work in the future!

Unfortunately this is actually my first attempt at a chameleon.I was working off of several different sources to put this one together. However I am planning on doing more chameleon work in the future!
I thought I recognized that grapevine branch and tongue. I have to assume you used this picture of mine for one of your sources. I'm fine with that, but you drew his tongue closed with part of the mantis's wing in it. Also, Geoffrey had quite a thick tongue and it even looks thicker in the drawing. I doubt any Jackson would have such a thick tongue. I look at pics of him and can't believe I ever sold him. Very good drawing, otherwise. Glad I could correct you before you finished it.

cham%20snatches%20mantis.jpg

I actually used two of these as a photo reference along with several other randoms due to photocopy rights. It quite ok as long as I deviate quite a bit from one reference because you can't take one photo and say I copied. But I do appreciate the critique and am glad you are ok with me using a few references. I actually used that one in particular for the front arm and bottom of the tongue. I used another picture to reference high contrast shadows. I had to shorten a lot of the body and neck on the Jacksons and used a few references for the look of the Jacksons. However in the future I want to take my own photos or use other people for commission work .Your Panther was quite the looker. Panthers are near and dear to my heart ❤️

I thought I recognized that grapevine branch and tongue. I have to assume you used this picture of mine for one of your sources. I'm fine with that, but you drew his tongue closed with part of the mantis's wing in it. Also, Geoffrey had quite a thick tongue and it even looks thicker in the drawing. I doubt any Jackson would have such a thick tongue. I look at pics of him and can't believe I ever sold him. Very good drawing, otherwise. Glad I could correct you before you finished it.

Do you have other photography on other chameleons?Your photography is quite fantastic. You get some really nice, high contrast in them.

Ahhh I see what you are saying now!!wow thank you for correcting that!!

Fantastic work, really beautifully rendered- I would love to know what type / brand etc charcoal- charcoal pencil you used as you've got such detail with it. Surely not Vine? Do let me know .
Great stuff :)

Fantastic work, really beautifully rendered- I would love to know what type / brand etc charcoal- charcoal pencil you used as you've got such detail with it. Surely not Vine? Do let me know .
Great stuff :)
I have to look at the brand. But basically for this one I used a gray matt board and I used a mixture of black and white charcoal. I lay down my darkest darks, leave the areas blank that I want to highlight with white. Because when you start mixing the white into the black it creates a muddy blue hue that is ugly. So I used the white sparingly. I use a few different paint brushes to blend a lot, and a kneaded eraser mainly to lift the darks and get in all those fine detail. I also used a black eraser to get up some harder areas. Hope this helps.

And I did use
I have to look at the brand. But basically for this one I used a gray matt board and I used a mixture of black and white charcoal. I lay down my darkest darks, leave the areas blank that I want to highlight with white. Because when you start mixing the white into the black it creates a muddy blue hue that is ugly. So I used the white sparingly. I use a few different paint brushes to blend a lot, and a kneaded eraser mainly to lift the darks and get in all those fine detail. I also used a black eraser to get up some harder areas. Hope this helps.
A charcoal pencil. I sharpen it with an exacting knife to get that nice point. Regular sharpeners tend to be to rough on the delicate charcoal and breaks it off very easily.

Back
Top Bottom