Large Hybrid Atrium Display Build

reddog

Member
I've been wanting a panther for a few years and finally decided to start this project last summer. I relied almost completely on the work of @DeremensisBlue on the academy and podcast. This was a big project, but I think it turned out well and hope some of this info helps or inspires others in their caging.

OfB9kpy.jpg

Cage assembled

kxzVHJC.jpg

First go at scaping. I had been collecting some rare-ish houseplants I liked for a few months in preparation for this. This pictures is from June. Now time for the cabinet.

adfdc8m.png

ADA style cabinet sketched to fit the drainage tray.

T4GvFS9.jpg


niBPWZD.jpg


nsPnI9r.jpg


fHeO676.jpg


5b6BESF.jpg

Completed cabinet. I used Blum soft close hinges and Blum touch latches. Cabinet was assembled using a Kreg pocket hole jig. I used a Kreg jig for the hinges as well. Painted with some white color from Sherwin Williams that I liked. I added leveling feet on each corner since my tile isn't perfectly smooth and so I could slope the drainage tray slightly to help with vacuuming. The hinges have quite a bit of adjustment to get everything perfect.

MSOEgNs.jpg

Laying out equipment inside. I'm using a Kasa Smart Plug power strip as a command center. I schedule everything through the app on my phone. MistKing gets constant power. I might add LED undercabinet lighting some time. I monitor temp and humidity gradients on my phone using two Govee mini wireless hygrometers stuck to the back wall in strategic locations with pieces of command strips
 

reddog

Member
AiYw1rt.jpg

Trying to keep things neat behind the cage as well.

MJHRqkb.jpg

Plenty of room inside the cage for a gutloading bin and assorted crap.

HnHmosn.jpg

Laying out a tray to hang lighting above the cage. I used 1/8" thick 3/4" angled aluminum. I cut it with whatever blade was already on my saw, just sprayed the blade with WD40 before each cut. I am using an Agrobrite 4' 4 bulb T5ho fixture with an Arcadia 6% UVB bulb in one of the slots. I have 2 Flukers 8.5" domes for the back slot. One with a 36w Sansi grow light for dawn/dusk cycle and to add some extra light throughout the day. The other uses a 65w philips bulb for heat. I can slide the domes anywhere along this track.

RqV7den.jpg


6BNU6mk.jpg

Lights hung. This was a PITA to get right but it worked out OK. Doors are out of adjustment here from moving the cabinet around. Only one dome and Sansi in this pic.

HodYmuR.jpg

Lots of plant growth since June. Added a few extra plants and branches since then as well.

Aspf2D1.jpg

Sire @Dridrop12

XDgEMqd.jpg


TJsfD4I.jpg


96ZT8SE.jpg

Grip arrived this week.

XEPojZg.jpg


kLR93Fc.jpg

Plants are happy.

geqWaBc.jpg
 

Howdyshay

Member
Wow... I can't even begin to say enough wows! And Grip is so cute I want to cry. Those plants are so freaking cool too! I love it so much. I want it. It's truly beautiful. You must be so proud and Grip must be so happy. Where in your house is this? Just curious. My baby panther has his own room but he has to share with my teenager for Zoom class during the day.
Congratulations and I hope you and Grip enjoy the fruits of your labor.
 

reddog

Member
Wow... I can't even begin to say enough wows! And Grip is so cute I want to cry. Those plants are so freaking cool too! I love it so much. I want it. It's truly beautiful. You must be so proud and Grip must be so happy. Where in your house is this? Just curious. My baby panther has his own room but he has to share with my teenager for Zoom class during the day.
Congratulations and I hope you and Grip enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Thank you. I set this up in a sunroom off our kitchen.
 

Beman

Chameleon Enthusiast
You did an absolutely amazing job with your Atrium and the cabinet and lighting is stunning. I seriously wish I could build cabinets like that for my DS enclosures.
 

reddog

Member
You did an absolutely amazing job with your Atrium and the cabinet and lighting is stunning. I seriously wish I could build cabinets like that for my DS enclosures.

Thank you. The lighting tray was a piece of cake. Getting it hung level and at the right height when the weight in the tray isn't balanced was the hardest part. Some sort of hood would look better and probably be easier, but I couldn't envision a way to make one that would work with this cage. The cabinet was pretty straight forward using the kreg jigs. The most complicated part was drawing it all out to make sure I had it perfect. But anyone can do this.
 

Beman

Chameleon Enthusiast
Thank you. The lighting tray was a piece of cake. Getting it hung level and at the right height when the weight in the tray isn't balanced was the hardest part. Some sort of hood would look better and probably be easier, but I couldn't envision a way to make one that would work with this cage. The cabinet was pretty straight forward using the kreg jigs. The most complicated part was drawing it all out to make sure I had it perfect. But anyone can do this.
Well you did a fantastic job! Very very impressive. Not sure how I missed it when you posted it. I love a good DS build thread.
 
Top Bottom