Zen style tube frame custom 2x4x4 enclosure build!

It's not currently available where I am (NE US) either. My best guess is that it's another casualty of supply line bottlenecks, etc.

Depending on your enclosure design and framing, would it be possible to use another material temporarily, and replace with PVC when available? I haven't checked prices, but these come to mind as possibilities...

ACM (pretty expensive)​
Coroplast​
Acrylic/Plexi​
Glass (less expensive than acrylic)​
Hardwood plywood (will need sealing)​
Luan (will need sealing, but usually cheap)​
Ceiling lighting panels (only come in 24 x 48 nom) really cheap​
Still thinking... :unsure:
I think the trickiest part is that I need for it to support a few hundred pounds. So, the options, as far as I’m aware, are PVC, HDPE, or 1/2”+ hardwood ply. HDPE is really expensive, and plywood is already so heavy on its own, & takes so much work to properly construct & waterproof. I think I’d still need a substrate liner, even after it was waterproofed. Technically melamine is also an option, but even heavier than ply, and falls apart after a few years. Cheap, though.

I think the trickiest part is that I need for it to support a few hundred pounds. So, the options, as far as I’m aware, are PVC, HDPE, or 1/2”+ hardwood ply. HDPE is really expensive, and plywood is already so heavy on its own, & takes so much work to properly construct & waterproof. I think I’d still need a substrate liner, even after it was waterproofed. Technically melamine is also an option, but even heavier than ply, and falls apart after a few years. Cheap, though.
A few hundred pounds :eek: With the right frame that should be doable. IDK the exact specs on how much 1" aluminum tubing can/will support, but I recently found out some OEMs make different wall thicknesses. I would contact your vendors for that kind of info.

If it's temporary, and your frame design allows replacing the panels, I wouldn't think weight would be that much of a problem. 🤷‍♂️

I strongly advise against any kind of particle/fiber-board (Masonite/hardboard, Melamine, etc.).
If there's so much as a pin prick in your seal and any water gets in, it'll swell & decompose.

A few hundred pounds :eek: With the right frame that should be doable. IDK the exact specs on how much 1" aluminum tubing can/will support, but I recently found out some OEMs make different wall thicknesses. I would contact your vendors for that kind of info.

If it's temporary, and your frame design allows replacing the panels, I wouldn't think weight would be that much of a problem. 🤷‍♂️

I strongly advise against any kind of particle/fiber-board (Masonite/hardboard, Melamine, etc.).
If there's so much as a pin prick in your seal and any water gets in, it'll swell & decompose.
I want it to be a permanent enclosure, as I have no idea how long he’ll be here, and I’m sure there will several lining up to take his place if he actually gets adopted. It’s not like there’s a line of qualified folks wanting to rescue huge snakes. Way more of them get dumped than get homes. 😕

Back
Top Bottom