large atrium dragon strand build

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Okay so the Dragon strand isn't custom built obviously, but i'm trying my hand at customizing everything else about it. This is my first ever build and practically my first ever DIY project with anything so go easy on me lol, had a few very simple reptile set ups as a kid and 'decent' reef tank years back, but that's it. I always wanted to do a cool build thread like the ones seen all over here and every other forum on the internet. This will eventually be housing a male panther.

Side note*, anyone know where to find a cham with purple bars or body? I'd be willing to wait awhile to find just the right one. My gf really loves the purple and it'd definitely help my case for spending all this money ;)

Anywayyyyy ......

"The Large Atrium Enclosure measures 45.25″ wide x 44.25″ high x 22.25″ deep"
IMG_0780.JPG

I have the cage built, but waiting to put doors on until my wall/landscaping is finished. Have the mistking(not set up yet), a ro/di unit for mistings, and an arcadia hood light with plant bulbs, along with a bunch of other supplies to mess around with while i figure out how exactly i want my cage to look.

Also going to hopefully build a custom cabinet for this unless I find something i really like.

I am making an L-shaped 'living wall' out of egg crate and great stuff foam that'll cover the *left* clearsided panel and entire back. The top and right side will be open screen for ventilation. I plan to attach the wall to the dragon ledges, hopefully they can hold the weight...? The foam will be covered with silicone+eco earth, cork bark chunks, air-plants, branches, and plant pots. Considering moss, but not sure how that'd hold up, need to research a little about using moss. I'd like to have a row of pothos along the top of the wall trailing downwards(or if someone can suggest a better vine-like plant that'd trail), with a babytears bed platform on the top left, panel part of the wall. Both bottom side panels will have some sort of trees(such as umbrellas, but still undecided).

I also want a large, and fully round piece of cork bark sitting vertical in the middle of the cage like a tree with airplants attached. Branches from the walls will meet at the cork 'tree' from varying heights.

Hope this makes some sort of sense, trying to paint a picture in words is difficult, but hopefully you'll all see soon enough.

Been a little busy, but hopefully this project doesn't take super long. Here's where i'm at after 2 short days of working on everything.

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

Okay so the Dragon strand isn't custom built obviously, but i'm trying my hand at customizing everything else about it. This is my first ever build and practically my first ever DIY project with anything so go easy on me lol, had a few very simple reptile set ups as a kid and 'decent' reef tank years back, but that's it. I always wanted to do a cool build thread like the ones seen all over here and every other forum on the internet. This will eventually be housing a male panther.

Side note*, anyone know where to find a cham with purple bars or body? I'd be willing to wait awhile to find just the right one. My gf really loves the purple and it'd definitely help my case for spending all this money ;)

Anywayyyyy ......

View attachment 169542
I have the cage built, but waiting to put doors on until my wall/landscaping is finished. Have the mistking(not set up yet), a ro/di unit for mistings, and an arcadia hood light with plant bulbs, along with a bunch of other supplies to mess around with while i figure out how exactly i want my cage to look.

Also going to hopefully build a custom cabinet for this unless I find something i really like.

I am making an L-shaped 'living wall' out of egg crate and great stuff foam that'll cover the *left* clearsided panel and entire back. The top and right side will be open screen for ventilation. I plan to attach the wall to the dragon ledges, hopefully they can hold the weight...? The foam will be covered with silicone+eco earth, cork bark chunks, air-plants, branches, and plant pots. Considering moss, but not sure how that'd hold up, need to research a little about using moss. I'd like to have a row of pothos along the top of the wall trailing downwards(or if someone can suggest a better vine-like plant that'd trail), with a babytears bed platform on the top left, panel part of the wall. Both bottom side panels will have some sort of trees(such as umbrellas, but still undecided).

I also want a large, and fully round piece of cork bark sitting vertical in the middle of the cage like a tree with airplants attached. Branches from the walls will meet at the cork 'tree' from varying heights.

Hope this makes some sort of sense, trying to paint a picture in words is difficult, but hopefully you'll all see soon enough.

Been a little busy, but hopefully this project doesn't take super long. Here's where i'm at after 2 short days of working on everything.

View attachment 169543
View attachment 169544
Looks like a good start. Can't wait to see why it looks like when finished.

Try looking at TREE CANDY CHAMELEONS on Facebook.

They have a chameleon that is named Purple Reign and a different one names Doppleganger that they breed to produce some cool purple-colored chameleons. Give em a look and message them.

https://www.facebook.com/TreeCandyC...4930938982525/718923188249961/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/TreeCandyC...4930938982525/719908274818119/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/TreeCandyC...4930938982525/719909271484686/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/TreeCandyC...4930938982525/762157227259890/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/TreeCandyC...4930938982525/797861787022767/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/TreeCandyC...4930938982525/813902855418660/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/TreeCandyC...4930938982525/814475398694739/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/TreeCandyC...4930938982525/717227028419577/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/TreeCandyC...4930938982525/648810671927880/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/TreeCandyC...4930938982525/649529311856016/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/TreeCandyC...4930938982525/735531329922480/?type=3&theater

Those are just a few of the random pics I saw while scrolling through their albums page. They have lots of neat looking chameleons. You'd have to hit em up and see what all is available, but if you're looking for a cham with purple in it somewhere, TREE CANDY CHAMELEONS is where you want to go. Some have very very slight hints of purple in them, and others have a whopping amount of purple. Just scroll through em - I'm sure you will like what you see.

I just got 2 Dragon Strand cages in the mail and will be doing something like this as well, so I'll be following your progress. Actually I'm letting the hubby design it - it's his treat for putting up with my chameleon obsession! Good luck with your build.

Anywayyyyy ......

View attachment 169542

View attachment 169543
View attachment 169544

I'm jealous! I missed out on the Large Atrium when Bill built them last month and I have one on order but he won't be building any more until December! Bummer!

I do have a couple of questions for you, I'm gonna try and get into your head on what you are thinking. LOL.
It looks like you are putting the background on the back and both sides?
Curious as to #1, are you going to cut opening for the ledges?
#2 why are you covering the screen side? With the clear sided, the top and side screen is where you get the ventilation so I'm not sure why you would cover it.
and #3 why would you cover the sides at all and not just the back? I guess my thought on this is if you paid so much more for the clear sided, why cover it?

I'm not criticizing you, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around what you are planning.

I do plan on doing a natural rock wall type look on the back wall of mine when I get it but that was all, leaving the sides clear.

*Trickedoutbiker- Wow! The tree candy chams are amazing!!! Thank you so much for that link! Will definitely be doing that.

*Peachypink-
1) yeah, i'll probably drill some holes through. I'm going to fasten the whole wall to the ledges, not sure exactly how yet, but shouldn't be an issue. Probably use twist ties and hot glue or foam.

2) i'm not covering the screen side, only the left(if youre facing) clear side is being covered. My bad should have explained a little better

3) i bought the clearsided mainly for the front panels to be see-through, but i was actually thinking the same. I should have just swapped out the left clear panel for a screen panel. I could actually still do that and might, but don't feel like taking the cage back apart ATM lol. I only came up with the idea after i built it, but no big deal. I made it L-shaped instead of just the back for a unique sort of look with some platforms across the corner, plants, and such. Honestly a lot of this is just me going with it as it comes. I thought the L could be cool so figured i'd try it. The wall is really easy to cut so the worst that happens is i just cut the side off the wall to leave just the back. Making it easy to customize incase problems come up.

I also want a bioactive substrate EVENTUALLY. I have read a ton about them and have a good idea of how to make one correctly. That'll be after i'm comfortable and have my cham though.

Thanks for responses all! I'm doing all of this on my phone so I apologize for any bad grammar/confusing wording.

Cabinet that i plan to build if possible. Might look around for something nice though. I want it to hold my water storage, drainage, supplies, and maybe a mini fridge if i can get something big enough.

Back
Top Bottom