Kinyongia boehmei 2018 Import

Well, looks like I've gotten lucky. First of these K. boehmei eggs hatched today. Several more sweating. Really amazing to see this process. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

[video link invalid]

Attachments

• K. boehmei F1 Egg Hatchling.jpg
    K. boehmei F1 Egg Hatchling.jpg
    738.4 KB · Views: 275
  • K. boehmei F1b.jpg
    K. boehmei F1b.jpg
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 300
  • Kinyongia boehmei F1 a.jpg
    Kinyongia boehmei F1 a.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 259
Well, looks like I've gotten lucky. First of these K. boehmei eggs hatched today. Several more sweating. Really amazing to see this process. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Sooo exciting! I've loved seeing your videos of the kiyongias and the nasutums--those might be my favorites! I'm keeping my fingers crossed you nail the breeding for these because I would love to have some someday.

Yes, update: There were eight eggs in this clutch. Their appearance (the "stretch" marks) a few weeks before hatching suggested the incubation medium was had too much moisture, and the eggs were swelling to fast, as Jeremy noted. Someone posted on FB that they had experienced the exact same phenomenon with some eggs they were incubating, and hatching properly failed. So I gently moved the eggs, maintaining their orientation, to a dyer vermiculite mix. Three weeks later no more swelling was observed and all eight eggs hatched. Some of the hatchlings appear to be healthy and vigorous, and some appear to be less vigorous and look iffy. Yesterday I observed the first one eating FF.

Lessons learned, and as suggested already:
Keep the incubation medium on the dry side (very slightly damp).
Room temperatures, with the high range in the low 70's and the low range in the mid to upper 60's, work fine. An incubator in not needed if these temps can be maintained, but if not. then one would be a good idea, especially if there is the danger of higher temps in the summer. The attached photos show something interesting: it appears possible to determine gender, based on coloration, just a day or two after hatching. First photo shows what I think could be a male, in contrast to the last photo which appears to be a female. Time will tell if this is correct.

Attachments

• Boehmei F1 male a.jpg
    Boehmei F1 male a.jpg
    780.5 KB · Views: 271
  • Boehmei F1 stretch.jpg
    Boehmei F1 stretch.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 280
  • K. boehmei F1 D3b.jpg
    K. boehmei F1 D3b.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 287
  • K. boehmei F1 Male 6.jpg
    K. boehmei F1 Male 6.jpg
    704.6 KB · Views: 286
  • Kinyongia boehmei Female F1 day 1 .jpg
    Kinyongia boehmei Female F1 day 1 .jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 271
Yes, update: There were eight eggs in this clutch. Their appearance (the "stretch" marks) a few weeks before hatching suggested the incubation medium was had too much moisture, and the eggs were swelling to fast, as Jeremy noted. Someone posted on FB that they had experienced the exact same phenomenon with some eggs they were incubating, and hatching properly failed. So I gently moved the eggs, maintaining their orientation, to a dyer vermiculite mix. Three weeks later no more swelling was observed and all eight eggs hatched. Some of the hatchlings appear to be healthy and vigorous, and some appear to be less vigorous and look iffy. Yesterday I observed the first one eating FF.

Lessons learned, and as suggested already:
Keep the incubation medium on the dry side (very slightly damp).
Room temperatures, with the high range in the low 70's and the low range in the mid to upper 60's, work fine. An incubator in not needed if these temps can be maintained, but if not. then one would be a good idea, especially if there is the danger of higher temps in the summer. The attached photos show something interesting: it appears possible to determine gender, based on coloration, just a day or two after hatching. First photo shows what I think could be a male, in contrast to the last photo which appears to be a female. Time will tell if this is correct.
Congratulations, and thank you for the update! They are adorable. Best of luck with them!

Just over one month after this female laid a clutch of eggs, I introduced this beautiful male to her enclosure and within 5 minutes they were mating. Here is a video documentation of this successful pairing. I noticed that the female showed light, almost white colors, possibly indicating receptivity, just prior to and during the mating. The male took on his colorful orange phase. After the pairing appeared complete, the female became much darker in coloration. I'm hoping for a clutch of eggs/young from this pairing as the male is such a fantastic specimen.
I know it's been a long time . I just got a male and looking for a female . How long did you have these guys ?

Back
Top Bottom