Kinyongia boehmei 2018 Import

Great videos and gorgeous chameleons. Thanks for sharing.

I'd love to get in line if you offer any juveniles for sale.

Thank you for your king comments, Jim. I'd be more than happy to get some of these to you if I am successful raising them. It would be my first go at hatching and raising chameleons, so wish me luck ;).

Just a quick update: yesterday my female laid another clutch of 5 eggs - 87 days (12 weeks and 3 days or just about 3 months) after laying her first clutch. She was mated to my WC male 6 weeks after her first lay. I don't know if that mating had any influence on this clutch of eggs, but I hope so! Does anyone know enough about the life cycle of this species to comment on that?

Here is a photo of the second, newly laid clutch of eggs (upper left corner) compared to the 3 month old eggs. You can see how much the first clutch has grown compared to the new clutch, which tells me they are viable, and hopefully will remain so full term. Hopefully the new clutch is fertile.

mVx11m.jpg

That video is amazing! (I must have missed this somehow :confused:) Makes me want to build a bio-active for a baby KB :D.

(How do I pull this one off without the wife knowing/opposing? o_O...)

Can't wait for baby pics!!! :coffee:

That video is amazing! (I must have missed this somehow :confused:) Makes me want to build a bio-active for a baby KB :D.

(How do I pull this one off without the wife knowing/opposing? o_O...)

Can't wait for baby pics!!! :coffee:

First, show your wife the hoped for baby photos - allow the "awwww" factor to set in, then propose the new viv - but not before :LOL:

Today I dug up the clutch laid by my female - 8 eggs that appear to be healthy - but these are the first chameleon eggs I've ever seen so I'm just speculating. All are firm - some slightly brownish on one side - any comments here appreciated. I've put them in a tupperware container with a mix of moistened calcined clay and vermiculite. There are a few small air holes on lid and sides for air exchange. Does the positioning look OK?

WurwFT.jpg

Honestly I was tempted to just leave them buried in the soil which was moist and cool, but have opted for the prescribed method of incubation I've gleaned from internet sources. I can see how the environment in the tupperware could fluctuate more so than buried 8" deep in cool, moist soil, so I think I'll place the eggs/tupperware in a small cooler for better temp regulation. I've looked into various reptile incubators such as the Exo Terra "mini-fridge' kind yet I'm not sure it's worth the investment just yet.

Thanks for any tips or advice,
Dave

In the first clutch 3 of the 8 eggs don't look fertile. When dealing with gravid imports-it's a crap shoot. The other 5 look good. I would think you will have better luck concerning futility with the second clutch. Beautiful specimens you have! Tough first species though. I wish you the best!

Thank you, Bob, for your observations. I realize this species is more challenging than others, but, I really like them and am doing me best, so thanks for your encouragement!

I wondered about some of the eggs from the first clutch. Some have a tan coloration to them leading me to consider them being infertile.

The thing is, those tan eggs have grown in the same proportions as the good-looking possible fertile eggs. So I wonder, would an infertile egg "grow"? If not, what would cause an infertile egg to grow at the same rate as a fertile egg? Can infertile eggs simply absorb moisture and grow - similar to fertile egg?

Dave

Thank you, Bob, for your observations. I realize this species is more challenging than others, but, I really like them and am doing me best, so thanks for your encouragement!

I wondered about some of the eggs from the first clutch. Some have a tan coloration to them leading me to consider them being infertile.

The thing is, those tan eggs have grown in the same proportions as the good-looking possible fertile eggs. So I wonder, would an infertile egg "grow"? If not, what would cause an infertile egg to grow at the same rate as a fertile egg? Can infertile eggs simply absorb moisture and grow - similar to fertile egg?

Dave

I am not a breeder, but from what I have seen they do grow even if infertile.

Dave
Chameleon egg shells are a semi permeable membrane. What one sees as an egg growing is actually just the egg inbibing water and consequently getting larger, fertile or not.

Today I dug up the clutch laid by my female - 8 eggs that appear to be healthy - but these are the first chameleon eggs I've ever seen so I'm just speculating. All are firm - some slightly brownish on one side - any comments here appreciated. I've put them in a tupperware container with a mix of moistened calcined clay and vermiculite. There are a few small air holes on lid and sides for air exchange. Does the positioning look OK?

WurwFT.jpg

Honestly I was tempted to just leave them buried in the soil which was moist and cool, but have opted for the prescribed method of incubation I've gleaned from internet sources. I can see how the environment in the tupperware could fluctuate more so than buried 8" deep in cool, moist soil, so I think I'll place the eggs/tupperware in a small cooler for better temp regulation. I've looked into various reptile incubators such as the Exo Terra "mini-fridge' kind yet I'm not sure it's worth the investment just yet.

Thanks for any tips or advice,
Dave

I’ve hatched a lot in a Zoo Med incubator it’s pretty good for the money or Hovabator incubators are good too. I wouldn’t waste the money on the Exo terra one to be honest because every review from what I’ve seen aren’t so great but I could be wrong.

I have used a hovabator. My only issue was fine tuning it, but that might just be me. @Ekona, have you heard of that incubator that is made by I think DVM Exotics? I might be wrong on the name, but if you have used it, what is your experience like? It might be a nice addition with you working on these projects, and this is the one I am looking into.

Last edited:
I’ve hatched a lot in a Zoo Med incubator it’s pretty good for the money or Hovabator incubators are good too. I wouldn’t waste the money on the Exo terra one to be honest because every review from what I’ve seen aren’t so great but I could be wrong.
The thing with K. Boehmei eggs is they need to be kept cool (at least below 70F, so an incubator for them has to have a cooling function especially during warmer summer months. I think the thermoelectric Exoterra (or similar models marketed under different brand names) is the only low-end version that has both heating and cooling. And yes, I’ve read the reviews and there seem to be some issues with them.

I have used a hovabator. My only issue was fine tuning it, but that might just be me. @Ekona, have you heard of that enclosure that is made by I think DVM Exotics? I might be wrong on the name, but if you have used it, what is your experience like? It might be a nice addition with you working on these projects, and this is the one I am looking into.
I just looked it up and that is the correct name. Looks to be a better build than the Exoterra, but about 3 times higher in cost at $425. I have not used it, but it looks like a good choice for a serious breeding project. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
It's been just about six months since this clutch of K. boehmei eggs were laid. I checked them just now and see this change: striations in the eggs shells.
Is this normal? Sign of hatching immanent or going to burst due to too much moisture? Quick opinions appreciated!

L91N0D.jpg

ZVJU3S.jpg

I have not got any first hand experience with eggs bursting. However I have heard reports of Calumma eggs exploding because of what the keepers thought was too much water. Your eggs look as though it is bursting at the seems . If you think it is from to much water you may want to try to adjust the medium or other relevant conditions to correct the condition.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I have not got any first hand experience with eggs bursting. However I have heard reports of Calumma eggs exploding because of what the keepers thought was too much water. Your eggs look as though it is bursting at the seems . If you think it is from to much water you may want to try to adjust the medium or other relevant conditions to correct the condition.

Thank you Jeremy. I does look like the eggs are bursting. But IDK as this is my first time incubating eggs. I'll lower humidity. It may be too late. We'll see what happens. I have to say, the conditions in the incubation tub have been damp but not wet. The thought of going dryer (than just barely moist or damp) seems counter intuitive, but we'll see soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom