Just one more time, going for the ultimate build

I may have asked you this before but are you seeing much heat output from the jungle dawns? I really want to add one but I am hesitant to spend that kind of money if it is going to increase the heat too much.
Nope you never did, and if, I don’t mind telling again 😉

It produces some heat, therefore I think you won’t find a basking bulb with more then 50 watt output in my setups. For the montane species it’s perfect and only use 3 hours a day a basking light (and they almost never use it). For Bella and Cher I use the 50 watt heat projector from Arcadia, but they’re both or free range or screened enclosure, therefore no direct heat buildup. For this enclosure I only use the 2 jungle bars, uvb and a 35 watt basking bulb. That’s enough to give me high enough temps at the upper range.

They produce heat, but it’s useable. And it’s not that warm you can’t put them directly on the screen top or the cham could burn itself underneath.

Same as all of my setups, the Arcadia Jungle dawn. Just like how can run them with one power cord. Got the enclosure running with a 34” and 18.5” led and 48” UVB.

The 34” is extremely bright
Nice so you're running 2 jungle dawns on your enclosure? Does it provide more stronger light that way or are you doing that to cover more space ? Just curious

Nope you never did, and if, I don’t mind telling again 😉

It produces some heat, therefore I think you won’t find a basking bulb with more then 50 watt output in my setups. For the montane species it’s perfect and only use 3 hours a day a basking light (and they almost never use it). For Bella and Cher I use the 50 watt heat projector from Arcadia, but they’re both or free range or screened enclosure, therefore no direct heat buildup. For this enclosure I only use the 2 jungle bars, uvb and a 35 watt basking bulb. That’s enough to give me high enough temps at the upper range.

They produce heat, but it’s useable. And it’s not that warm you can’t put them directly on the screen top or the cham could burn itself underneath.
Ok well my basking fixture is on a herpstat so if heat does rise then at least it dims down. I just worry about the heat with his enclosure since right now everything is perfectly balanced and I am pretty cautious about not letting him get over 82. I think I just need to bite the bullet and buy one but dang they have gone up in price the last year in the states. I know that is the only way my hibiscus are actually going to bloom though.

My cage is 30 inches wide. Do you think a 22 inch bar would be good and do the trick since I am running 2 T5's with daylight bulbs as well?

Nice so you're running 2 jungle dawns on your enclosure? Does it provide more stronger light that way or are you doing that to cover more space ? Just curious
I´m doing it to cover the complete space, needed to cover 60" by 27.5", therefore used the UVB and 34" parallel and the 18.5" diagonal. This way there´s no darker spot in the enclosure and are the plants fully thriving.

Screenshot 2022-04-05 081429.jpg

Ok well my basking fixture is on a herpstat so if heat does rise then at least it dims down. I just worry about the heat with his enclosure since right now everything is perfectly balanced and I am pretty cautious about not letting him get over 82. I think I just need to bite the bullet and buy one but dang they have gone up in price the last year in the states. I know that is the only way my hibiscus are actually going to bloom though.

My cage is 30 inches wide. Do you think a 22 inch bar would be good and do the trick since I am running 2 T5's with daylight bulbs as well?
Prices are definitely insane with Arcadia and between Holland and Germany (taxes 21% vs 19%) there´s a difference of at least 15 till 20% of the price. Therefore bought all my Arcadia lighting through Germany. Paid $120 for 34" instead of $165 in Holland.

You can always use a stand-off / risers to put the Jungle Dawn on, that should do the trick I think. Because, its build up heat directly around it and if laid on top of the enclosure this heat will enter the top part of the enclosure, however the heat escapes for the big part in the surroundings, it wont interfere that much with heat in the enclosure. It doesn´t generate a ´heat beam´ like i.e. the basking light does.

Still strange those 2 T5´s don´t do their job, what is their output in K? Because, I only use in every setup a UVB fixture and one Jungle Dawn, and all plants seem to thrive. One side note, I only one enclosure with a screen top and there a noticed less thriving plants on the bottom, however the Schefflera is partly to blame for it. They grow so dense at the top due the plant lights, that they block the light further down. Need to it trim regularly

Those pics look like backgrounds from Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet!

Love those old movies, especially from the 70´s. Quality is maybe not as good as now, but I just love how they manually made scenes and special effects, instead of the computer rendering nowadays.

Love those old movies, especially from the 70´s. Quality is maybe not as good as now, but I just love how they manually made scenes and special effects, instead of the computer rendering nowadays.
This one's from the mid-60s, but I like the old cheesy B&W sci-fi flicks from the 50s.
For this one, they needed/wanted a name, so they dug up Basil Rathbone & propped him up for a couple scenes (2 yrs. before he passed).

John Agar (Shirley Temple's first husband) also made (produced & starred) in quite a few.

Checked it a few times and the only reason for know is, I got 3 enclosures running with 2 power cords, one for UVB and one for plant lights. If they didn´t need different times, it would only be one power cord.
I think you may have misunderstood. I was responding to your remark about JD prices.
Sansi makes LED grow lights. I compared them to JD when I first set up—partly because JD didn't make a 48". I've not been disappointed; they're all-white (better for lizard eyes?) and the plants love them. Quite a bit le$$ than JD, and 5 yr. life & warranty (which they stand behind—had to replace a couple—no problem.

Prices are definitely insane with Arcadia and between Holland and Germany (taxes 21% vs 19%) there´s a difference of at least 15 till 20% of the price. Therefore bought all my Arcadia lighting through Germany. Paid $120 for 34" instead of $165 in Holland.

You can always use a stand-off / risers to put the Jungle Dawn on, that should do the trick I think. Because, its build up heat directly around it and if laid on top of the enclosure this heat will enter the top part of the enclosure, however the heat escapes for the big part in the surroundings, it wont interfere that much with heat in the enclosure. It doesn´t generate a ´heat beam´ like i.e. the basking light does.

Still strange those 2 T5´s don´t do their job, what is their output in K? Because, I only use in every setup a UVB fixture and one Jungle Dawn, and all plants seem to thrive. One side note, I only one enclosure with a screen top and there a noticed less thriving plants on the bottom, however the Schefflera is partly to blame for it. They grow so dense at the top due the plant lights, that they block the light further down. Need to it trim regularly
Yeah the last time I checked the 34 inch is $190 and then the 22 inch is $145.

I do run a pc fan on top of mine to help with airflow. Maybe I am just overthinking the heat output lol.

So I run 3 T5's total. 1 uvb and the other two are 6500k daylight bulbs. My plant growth is fantastic. But I am not getting any flowering from the hibiscus. Interesting enough I did get a bromeliad to flower under these lights though.

I think you may have misunderstood. I was responding to your remark about JD prices.
Sansi makes LED grow lights. I compared them to JD when I first set up—partly because JD didn't make a 48". I've not been disappointed; they're all-white (better for lizard eyes?) and the plants love them. Quite a bit le$$ than JD, and 5 yr. life & warranty (which they stand behind—had to replace a couple—no problem.
I know (y) Once I heard about it, I already owned a few Arcadia´s fixtures, that´s the only reason why i didn´t switched towards Sansi. Because of the cable management easiness. Definitely will try it in the near future

Yeah the last time I checked the 34 inch is $190 and then the 22 inch is $145.

I do run a pc fan on top of mine to help with airflow. Maybe I am just overthinking the heat output lol.

So I run 3 T5's total. 1 uvb and the other two are 6500k daylight bulbs. My plant growth is fantastic. But I am not getting any flowering from the hibiscus. Interesting enough I did get a bromeliad to flower under these lights though.
o_O $190 that´s crazy money.

I don´t know if a JD will solve the issue of the hibiscus. Because, 2 6500K daylight bulb should be doing the trick. I know some plants just wont flower inside or in an enclosure. Maybe this the same with a Hibicus. For ex. the Madgascar Jasmine grows in the summer, new vines and leaves, however I´m also not getting any flowers. Maybe in Neo´s enclosure that will change, light vs. humidity vs. heat but who knows.
Personally, it´s a big and expensive shot for just the Hibicus

I don´t know if a JD will solve the issue of the hibiscus. Because, 2 6500K daylight bulb should be doing the trick. I know some plants just wont flower inside or in an enclosure. Maybe this the same with a Hibicus. For ex. the Madgascar Jasmine grows in the summer, new vines and leaves, however I´m also not getting any flowers. Maybe in Neo´s enclosure that will change, light vs. humidity vs. heat but who knows.
Personally, it´s a big and expensive shot for just the Hibicus
Yeah that is what I am wondering as well. Or maybe even though it is getting the light they only flower certain times of year? I will say it has started growing like crazy the last month. The 7 months prior it barely did anything except stay healthy and pretty green.

Yeah that is what I am wondering as well. Or maybe even though it is getting the light they only flower certain times of year? I will say it has started growing like crazy the last month. The 7 months prior it barely did anything except stay healthy and pretty green.
Exactly the same as with my Jasmine. During summer months it grows for few weeks and stays stagnant and healthy for the rest of the year, without flowers 😢

This one's from the mid-60s, but I like the old cheesy B&W sci-fi flicks from the 50s.
For this one, they needed/wanted a name, so they dug up Basil Rathbone & propped him up for a couple scenes (2 yrs. before he passed).

John Agar (Shirley Temple's first husband) also made (produced & starred) in quite a few.
I love in general the old second WW movies, like The Great Escape or The Eagle Has Landed and so on.
And of course the first James Bond´s or Alfred Hitchcock´s repertoire.

I don´t know if a JD will solve the issue of the hibiscus. Because, 2 6500K daylight bulb should be doing the trick.
Hibiscus require more direct light than bromeliads in order to flower.
Missus' is putting out a bloom every month or so (they get fed to the beardie & tortoise) under a 36W Sansi flood.

It takes 3-4 T5 tubes to put out the equivalent of a Sansi 70W. I ran this calculation some time ago.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/plant-lighting.183207/#post-1674575
(I'm kind of amazed I was able to find it!)

Back
Top Bottom