Just Hatched ridgetail Monitors

jojackson

These babies just hatched today. V.Acanthus (4 month incubation).
Came out tongue flicking and ready to go!

14mx3c4.jpg

2u5b3ao.jpg

a5kne0.jpg

Not a great deal bigger than Cham eggs, (ive looked at pics here) But they really pack the egg, there is no room at all inside by the time they hatch, they just burst out! I didnt think to provide an indicator of size in the pics, but they are around 5cm/50mm s-v. tail is about 4cm/40 mm.

Well there is something you don't see everyday. Neat! Are you working with any other varanids?

Cheers and congrats,
T

Ackies!! Wow, congrats!! What an awesome species they are; I've always said if and when I move into monitors it will be with Ackies. Four months is great for incubation, how long was the gestation period before oviposition?

Edit: Do you have any pics of the parents you could share? What's their temperament like? Tame, handleable?

Last edited:
Gestation prior to laying was several weeks, I didnt note it im afraid. This is my first foray into varanids Trace, will think abount some larger species in the future when I have more room and $ to invest. Id love to work with Perenties. V.giganticus. Current rate for hatchlings is around $5000, a breeding pair..Forget it! :)

Parents are quite handleable but fast and keen to bolt. Male chewed me once, hurt like hell, they hang on like a bulldog and keep chewing, if they shake, you lose flesh!
Pretty solitary little hunters dont really appreciate handling in general. I try to keep it to a minimum.

some older pics of parents

100-0046.jpg

100-0045.jpg

Back
Top Bottom