Captive bred furcifer antimena, furcifer petteri, furcifer major

javadi

Chameleon Enthusiast
Haven’t posted on all this in a while.

3 more Malagasy species have hatched over the last several months after pairing in captivity.

Furcifer major. Hatched at 6.8 months with a 40 day 60 degree diapause. Only ones in the US to my knowledge.

IMG_8195.jpeg

IMG_4960.jpeg

Furcifer antimena. Hatched at about 9 months with a similar diapause.
IMG_7925.jpeg

IMG_8022.jpeg

Furcifer petteri. Hatched at about 9 months with a diapause similar to others.

IMG_7061.jpeg

IMG_5929.jpeg

All of these species were incubated at low 70s if not in diapause. Despite being from different climates (antimena lives in a very hot unforgiving environment compared to petteri for instance) low 70s seems to work for most species and going higher doesn’t seem to offer much value as far as quicker development.

Great news!

How many babies from each species? How was the hatch rate for the eggs. Survival rate so far?
Major are still hatching but 4 so far, no losses and hopefully another 6 or so will be hatching soon, not sure what the final hatch rate will be, but all eggs look good. Only 3 antimena so far but no losses. Two eggs didn't make it and the clutch was small. Hopefully more soon from another couple of bloodlines. Petteri had a worse hatch rate of 6/10 and 3/5. Things were shakier than usual for hatch rate across all of these, as all of these eggs went through a cooling malfunction in my house where things were too hot for a while while I was away. This happened over the summer but I'm still recovering from it and I suspect it might have messed up some of the outcomes to a degree.

Haven’t posted on all this in a while.

3 more Malagasy species have hatched over the last several months after pairing in captivity.

Furcifer major. Hatched at 6.8 months with a 40 day 60 degree diapause. Only ones in the US to my knowledge.

View attachment 347581
View attachment 347582

Furcifer antimena. Hatched at about 9 months with a similar diapause.
View attachment 347583
View attachment 347584

Furcifer petteri. Hatched at about 9 months with a diapause similar to others.

View attachment 347585
View attachment 347586
All of these species were incubated at low 70s if not in diapause. Despite being from different climates (antimena lives in a very hot unforgiving environment compared to petteri for instance) low 70s seems to work for most species and going higher doesn’t seem to offer much value as far as quicker development.
Great news and awesome information as usual Michael thank you so much for sharing ❤️❤️

Major are still hatching but 4 so far, no losses and hopefully another 6 or so will be hatching soon, not sure what the final hatch rate will be, but all eggs look good. Only 3 antimena so far but no losses. Two eggs didn't make it and the clutch was small. Hopefully more soon from another couple of bloodlines. Petteri had a worse hatch rate of 6/10 and 3/5. Things were shakier than usual for hatch rate across all of these, as all of these eggs went through a cooling malfunction in my house where things were too hot for a while while I was away. This happened over the summer but I'm still recovering from it and I suspect it might have messed up some of the outcomes to a degree.
They aren’t easy speciies…so IMHO, you’re doing well! Keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom