Just got all this in preparation still need uvb and some other stuff but I'm getting their!

Thatcher

Chameleon Enthusiast
Very excited!!!

Attachments

• 16205990628035317424001162543518.jpg
    16205990628035317424001162543518.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 141
All I'm going to say is that the Zoomed thermometer with the chameleon on the packaging may not be useful depending on the type of enclosure you have.

All I'm going to say is that the Zoomed thermometer with the chameleon on the packaging may not be useful depending on the type of enclosure you have.
Ok thanks I also have a digital thermometer gun I just wanted something to tell me the general temperature

Ok thanks I also have a digital thermometer gun I just wanted something to tell me the general temperature
You'll need a digital thermometer with a probe to measure basking temps, placed where the top of your chameleon's back will be when he/she is on his/her basking branch, as you need to measure air temps. Digital infrared temp guns only measure surface temps, not air temps. You'll also need at least one more digital thermometer and a digital hygrometer.

Last edited:
You are heading right. Some of the money spent on some of those reptile marked stuff is oddly over priced and less accurate. As mentioned Govee is great for the price. I am using 8 of them. What you have is fine. In combo with a temp gun you will find the point you want so quick view could work. Don’t know about the hydrometer but again it is not rocket science temp and humidity don’t have to be exact to the degree. All devices have a range of error.
Don’t let excitement get the best of you. It gets me all the time. Lol

You are heading right. Some of the money spent on some of those reptile marked stuff is oddly over priced and less accurate. As mentioned Govee is great for the price. I am using 8 of them. What you have is fine. In combo with a temp gun you will find the point you want so quick view could work. Don’t know about the hydrometer but again it is not rocket science temp and humidity don’t have to be exact to the degree. All devices have a range of error.
Ok thanks

I can't see parts of the pic very well, but if that basking bulb is a "spot" light (as many "reptile" bulbs are) it's not the best choice. Spot lights produce higher temperatures in a concentrated area, which can be confusing. For example, driving with your arm out the window; most of you is comfortable, but your arm can get severely burned.

OTOH, "flood" lights produce a warm area, but more diffuse—producing a gradient of temperatures.

Better choices for basking bulbs are (in order of preference):
  1. Old fashioned incandescent (not LED) household lightbulb
  2. Incandescent (not LED) flood (not spot) light
  3. Halogen flood (not spot) light
Finding the best wattage will always be a matter of trial & error due to several variables including ambient temp, distance, angle, ventilation, enclosure type, and more.

Basking bulbs are best mounted at an angle to produce even more of a gradient, giving the chameleon a choice of where it will feel most comfortable.
1620659852235.png
IME, clamp lights make the best fixtures for this purpose; they're relatively inexpensive, and very versatile.

I agree that digital thermometers/hygrometers with probes are a better choice than analog (dial) instruments. Digital instruments have much better tolerances (±2°/2%). I like combination units; they're very inexpensive—especially when bought in quantity, as we usually need several anyway—and can be used as checks against each other for accuracy. Example: https://www.amazon.com/Rojuna-Hygro...LVQK/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B08K8WLVQK&psc=1

Temp guns are close for a spot-check, but there is an emissivity factor usually unaccounted for.

There is much discussion and disagreement about how & where to measure basking temperatures. The problem with only measuring the air above a basking site is that the surface beneath it can be tens of degrees hotter than the air temperature. This is more of an issue with arid climate reptiles than chameleons, but I think it's important to be aware of both surface & air temps to try to make basking as comfortable and flexible (via gradients) as we can.

Gradients can apply to UVB as well as basking.

The feeder cup is good for things like roaches & small worms, but if you feed crickets, you may (will) find out that they will jump out. For crickets, many folks use a feeder run cup (there are different styles). Crickets can still jump out, but not as often/readily.

Hi Thatcher and welcome to the group. Maybe you posted this somewhere else, but what kind of Chameleon are you getting? :)

Ok thanks 😊

Back
Top Bottom