Just got all this in preparation still need uvb and some other stuff but I'm getting their!

The

Yes I am thinking of getting a small dehumidifier but got now I'm keeping an eye on the humidity to see if I need to and I will walk take into account misting/plants.
If that is the case then to answer your previous question, you might look into purchasing corrugated plastic sheeting and cutting it to size for the sides and the back and adhering them to the enclosure. This will help maintain the humidity levels in your Chams cage. :)

The

Yes I am thinking of getting a small dehumidifier but got now I'm keeping an eye on the humidity to see if I need to and I will walk take into account misting/plants.
I would get the dehumidifier probably (don’t put it near the cage, but in the same room and close enough to do the job), because veileds need a daytime humidity of 30-50%, preferably on the lower end of it, too.

I would get the dehumidifier probably (don’t put it near the cage, but in the same room and close enough to do the job), because veileds need a daytime humidity of 30-50%, preferably on the lower end of it, too.
I saw that hat it should be 50 to 65% is that incorrect?

What is the best time for lights on/off
6 am/6 pm Standard Time. If you live in an area that utilizes Daylight Savings Time, then 7 am/7 pm.
If you use an analog timer ($5 cheapie), once you set it up, you don't have to change anything when the clocks change; the timer will read incorrectly, but the lights will still come on/go off at the same time every day.

I would second the analog timer, it's what I use as they are ridiculously easy to setup and adjust I find.

2 big Amazon packages came and I was so excited because I thought it was my cage but it wasn't. I get to go to petco tomorrow to look at chameleons and my cage is going to come by Thursday.

I get to go to petco tomorrow to look at chameleons and my cage is going to come by Thursday.
Whoa. While not an absolute, I think most here would recommend/suggest you go through a reputable breeder rather than a big-box chain store.

From the Resources section on Purchasing a Chameleon:
Unfortunately the unique needs of chameleons are still often overlooked by pet stores and many chameleons in pet stores are in poor conditions with caging being inadequate or are already showing signs of illness. The first response of the compassionate customer is always "I should rescue it from these terrible conditions!" This may surprise you, but it is actually recommended to not purchase these animals in poor conditions. We all want to save an animal in need, but to the pet store that chameleon is just another product that needs to be sold for profit, and it's all about the numbers. If you purchase that chameleon to save it the pet store sees that as no more than a successful sale, and they will quickly replace it with a new chameleon to sell in the place you opened up. Nothing will encourage them to improve conditions since they can sell them to you without investing in proper care. However, if that chameleon does not sell then the store does not find that profitable and will stop stocking chameleons in those terrible conditions. It is much better to spend your money supporting responsible breeders or even other stores that put in the effort to make sure they have healthy animals in good conditions.

I strongly urge you to peruse—not skim—the entire above Resource section (not just that quote).

When you get to the link on Cost of Keeping Chameleons, keep in mind that the information in that article is 10 years old, and some/much of the stated cost estimates have likely increased since then. To be adequately prepared, I would budget the high end—or $1000 (not including the chameleon)—for the first year.

I think it would also behoove you to peruse the sections on Chameleon Health and Chameleon FAQ to be aware of what to look for and what to avoid.

If you've read these sections, please review them again.
We want you to succeed in this endeavor, and forewarned is forearmed. ;)

I will look but I have also gone to another local pet store that is not a chain and they are going to tell me when they get chameleons in and I will ask where they are getting them and do research I just wanted to go to petco to see a chameleon in real life.

Ok I looked at a breeding place called FL chameleons and I found a premium tangerine veiled chameleon male for 100$ I still want to make sure they can get to me because I live in Virginia but this one looks very good, the only thing I'm slightly skeptical about is the age is 2-3 months and everywhere I have looked people said to get one that is 3 months old hopefully further in the process of they give me more information, I'm still going on other breeders and looking.

I also found a baby veiled male no bloodline for 25 dollars cheaper but it is 2 months old and if I'm paying 50 dollars shipping, I might as well get the cool one for 25 dollars more (glen bloodline)

FL Chams is not a good reputable dealer, just search them on here, and look at the reviews! FramsChams and CarolinaChamz are both reputable breeders with veileds, plus @jannb and others might know some more, too! Veileds aren't expensive, so make sure to go with a good breeder!

Ok thanks I'm also going to ask around my local reptile shop today. Sorry it took so long to get back to you I had school.

Back
Top Bottom