Is my setup alright?

Aussie

Hey everyone, I just got my baby veiled chameleon Roger back. I have him in an 18x18x36in reptibreeze cage. I have a 10uvb light on him and a 100w basking light I think. I keep his lights on for 12 hours a day and then completely off for 12 hours at night. I mist him 5-10 times a day until his leaves are soaked. I try to keep the humidity around 60 percent but its difficult because I live in a college dorm and its pretty dry here. I've been dusting his crickets with calcium without d3 everyday and I feed him about 5 of them each morning. I'm just wondering what you all think of this setup, I just want to make sure there's not anything that I'm doing horribly wrong. I have a bunch on my site in high quality at http://www.aandersonphoto.com/Other/Roger-2

Today I also noticed that he had his mouth open and he seemed to be breathing through it. I looked closer and saw that he had some crusty white stuff on one nostril. I've read on here that that can be because of too much supplementing or from too much salt in the water? He's fine now and he shut his mouth, but if there's anything I should do differently just let me know. Thanks!

Well there are a few things here....first of all what are your temps in that cage? a 10.0uvb and 100watt basking are not what you should be using for such a tiny baby. feeding 5 crickets a day is underfeeding. He should be eating about 15-20 a day. 1/4 in size at the most. You should get a 5.0 bulb. I am not a fan of the compacts. I prefer to use the tube uvbs. He could have had his mouth open cause the temps are too extreme. Also, what is the purpose of the waterfall?. He is so tiny, he could fall in it and drown not too mention they really breed bacteria and are not recomended.

I agree with carol get a 5.0 uvb repti sub floresant tube .. & id say a 50 watt basking/heat bulb for such a little guy & a small cage .. If your having difficulties keeping up humity cover 3 sides of his cage (left,right,back) with syran (plastic) wrap.. It'll keep moisture in there . & like carol said hes a baby he needs lots of food .. Also, do you have calcium with d3, and multi vitamins for dusting twice a month ?

The temps in his basking spot are about 90 degrees. I might try to lower the temps, I like to keep his lights warm though because I live in WI and sometimes my roomate has his window open and I want Roger to be able to stay warm if he needs too. I put about 8-10 crickets in each day, so he might be eating them all but I think some get lost/die before he can get them. And the crickets are between 1/4 - 1/2 with most of them being closer to 1/2, and he seems to be okay eating them. I have a 5uvb bulb but I haven't used it because the screen cuts the 10uvb in half anyways, right? I've made sure to not let his branches get too close to the lights also so he doesn't fry himself. I think he only had his mouth open because one of his nostrils were clogged with the salt or whatever, I haven't seen him with it open in a while. I have the waterfall just so that if he's really dying for water he can go find it himself. It's also not very full of water so its more of a trickle and doesn't create a big pool at the bottom. Theres also a bunch of leaves and vines that sit right on top of it so if he does fall in he'll have stuff to grab. His cage is in a wooden shelf thing so I can kind of keep the humidity up. What can I do to avoid stagnant air/respiratory infection? I had a fan blowing back and forth really gently to try and get some fresh air for him. And yeah I've got calcium with d3 and a multivitamin, I've only had him for a week though so I've only been giving him calcium without d3. I'm going to the store to get him more crickets and hopefully some phoenix worms.

Thanks for the help!

It should be about 83-86 degrees her basking area and 70 in the rest mostly... what do you mean the screen cuts the 10 uvb in half ? 10.00 is a stronger UVB .. Water fountanes can be a sess poool, he could fall in and drownd , or he can drink from it and it may have built up lots of bacteria, even if he poops in it!.. you'd have to clean it atleast twice a day for it to be good, there more of a handful then the chameleon...

I don't know anything reealy about tagnant air/respitory infection .. someone else with alot more expirience would be able to give you advice on this..

Best of luck!

The screen doesn't cut the UVB in half. And as for respiratory infection, I'm no expert, but I feel that having a mesh cage doesn't provide a lot of room for stagnant air. If it's too cold his breathing could get shallow and that could cause problems, but from your description it doesn't sound cold at all.

he could also be breathing through his mouth because he is too hot...your thermometer is in the lower left from the pics. I know its kinda silly but you have actually moved it under the light to measure 90F right? its not 90F in that lower corner

i would be most worried about the 10.0 on a small cham....do you see him hiding under the leaves or directly exposed under the light ? at the top or middle of the cage?

a pic would help too...overall you are doing ok but I agree with others to up feeding and make them smaller in size and go to 5.0 uvb and maybe 10watt smaller heat bulb

EDIT: Just saw the pics...

Unless you change that water regularly, most will suggest you ditch the waterfall in such a small/simple setup. As Kels said, if his poop gets in that water bacteria problems will quickly emerge...and if he drinks it....or he can drown in it (rare but possible). Don't think that just because there are things for him to grab that he can't drown....if he were to fall he might go into shock for a short while which means he won't move....and if his nose/mouth were underwater he could certainly drown in that scenario. Like I said, rare, but possible.

Live plants go a LONG way. You can get a great size hibiscus schefflera or ficus from home depot for $10-15. I would also add a few more random branches/vines around the setup. Are you misting him at all? Or is that water bottle (and the fountain) his only source of water? If so...he is def going to need misting...you should hand mist at least once a day

Last edited:
I measured the temp at the top of the cage and it was around 95 like 2 inches from his light and his branches are about 12 inches from the light. He usually sits up on his vines about a foot from the light and sometimes he moves to one side more or goes down a foot for a bit. That thing in the bottom left is a humidifier gauge thing actually. I also keep my room at 75 degrees all the time and try to keep humidity at 50ish percent but it usually goes from 25-60 depending on how often I mist. Alright I took his waterfall out and it was already gross even though I had just cleaned it. I got him a dripper thing from the store today too that will replace the waterfall. And yeah I mist him all the time, right away in the morning til everything is soaked and then 5-10 times throughout the day. I only see him hiding under his leaves when hes about to go to sleep and then I shut his light off for him. He hasn't opened his mouth at all since the first time I saw him do it so I think it must have just been from the salt deposit things in his nose because he's fine now. I just went to the store and got him 200 small crickets and some mealworms too. I'll start feeding him more crickets since I got smaller ones than I had before. I also added some more pics so if you guys want to see how big he is compared to people you can. I might try putting more leaves in, I just dont want him to have trouble finding his food.

Thank you guys for all the help, I think he's happy with his setup now that the gross waterfall is gone and I have better crickets for him. Thanks a lot!

Here is the link to more pictures also www.aandersonphoto.com/Other/Roger-2

with those changes you should be in pretty good shape.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the 10.0 UVB. You *CAN* use it, but it outputs too much UVB for them typically and I believe users who have very dense foliage tend to use it over the 5.0.

Not saying you need to run out and buy a 5.0 bulb, but I would monitor him pretty closely for signs of either UV burn or if he is hiding from the sunlight alot then it could be a sign of too much UV as well (since he'd likely be trying to hide under leaves/etc to avoid it)

Niiice. I already have a 5uvb bulb. Should I put the 5uvb one in? I just don't want him to not be getting enough to digest right or anything.

Hey everyone, I changed the uvb from a 10uvb to the 5uvb. Roger still sometimes sits under his lights with one eye closed though. He tends to sit on a branch kind of tipped to one side and puffed up, I think to soak up the lights/heat. Is it bad if he has one eye closed while he does this? Its usually the eye closest to the light. Its not like he's sleeping or anything either because he's alert and looking around, he just tends to alternate which eye is open. I'm just wondering if this is normal for them to do? If anyone has any input please let me know

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Contrary to what has been posted. A 10.0 uvb bulb will not hurt your baby and your chameleon will be just fine under it.. Judging by the pictures you are using either a cfl or coil type uvb bulb. This could be the reason for the eye shutting. Change this bulb to a fluorescent bulb to be sure. If your basking temps are at 90*... that is just fine also.

Young chameleons at that age close eyes typically for just a few reasons.
1. humidity or lack of proper water techniques
2. improper lighting
3. illness

I definitely believe it is one of the first two on the list or both that needs to be resolved.

If you notice your little one not eating very many insects. Fix what has been stated and i would personally spit the cage in half with foam board. So that he can hunt more efficiently.

Tbh I use even higher than a 10.0 that gives out over the double the uv levels of a 10.09 for my chams. When picking the uv bulb an animal should have it is no longer about what animal you wish to keep it depends on:
  • Height of enclosure
  • Things blocking the uv bulb e.g. screen
  • Foliage levels
  • how far the animal is from the uv tube

As I say I use the arcadia T5 12% D3+ bulbs above the screen mesh as the screen does block out quite a bit of uv! My chams seem mch healthier and happoer with this uv bulb as it is also brighter. I have also use 10.0 uv bulbs o babys straight from the egg with no ill effects. All im basicallly saying is that it is up to you what uv bulb you use. He will be fine with the 10.0 and i would reccommend anyone with a 48 inch high cage to use them!

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, 2 months? I've had him for about a week. I got him a month ago but he wasn't eating and would only sleep so I took him back to the store and they let him get a little older.
Handling - I've only taken him out twice in the week that I've had him
Feeding - I give him 15 or so small crickets a day in the morning, if a lot are gone by the afternoon I put about 5 more in. I give the crickets apple slices to eat.
Supplements - I use zoomed repti calcium, I've been dusting all feeder with calcium without d3 and yesterday I used it with d3 for the first time.
Watering - I mist the cage every morning with warm water from the tap. I live in milwaukee in the dorms, idk if the water is good/bad for him. I also mist throughout the day 5-10 time until all the leaves are soaked. I also have a little dripper thing from Zoomed set up also. I haven't seen him drink at all, but when I had him before he was always really shy about it so idk.
Fecal Description - His poo is always white and black. Yesterday I saw him take a huge one, like 1 and 1/2 inches and from nose to base of his tail he's only about 2 inches or so haha.
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No.
History - He is the runt and when I first got him he stopped eating and would sleep all day so I took him back to the store and they fed him energy/appetite stimulants to get him eating again. I've had him for a week and he seems better than ever. I had him out a couple days ago and he crawled all over the room and all over me.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - 18x18x36 zoomed, screened.
Lighting - Exo terra 100w basking light, repti glo 10uvb or 5uvb compact. I turn his lights on at 10am and then off at 10pm.
Temperature - cage floor is around 75, same as my room. Basking spot is around 90-95. I have a space heater on in the room at night set to 75-77. I used a digital thermometer to measure.
Humidity - Humidity is around 60 percent. I just got a humidifier which has helped control it. I have a humidity gauge that came with the humidifier.
Plants - No, just some plastic vines
Placement - Its in a wooden shelf thing with about 3 inches of space from the sides of the cage to the wooden walls. Top of the cage is about 6 feet up.
Location - Milwaukee, WI

And yeah I am using a compact fluorescent uvb bulb. I already have a dual dome light fixture thing and dont have enough $ otherwise I would get a tube style light.

Should I try to up the humidity? or lower it?

I don't think he's sick because he's still alert and crawls around. It's just that when he's laying in the light he keeps the eye closest to the light closed, yet he'll still open it and look around if I come over by him.

I think he's okay with finding his food. I put 15 crickets in this morning and within 5 minutes I saw him eat 3 in a row. I also have a water bottle with a hole cut in the side that holds crickets and he's already figured out how to use that.

Thank you for all the help, if anyone has other suggestions just let me know :D

Alright I'll probably put the 10uvb light back in tomorrow. I would add more foliage but I don't want his crickets to be able to hide too much haha. I think that was the problem when I first had him, I had too many leaves and vines in his cage and he couldn't see his food and would just give up on finding it.

DO NOT USE the 10.0 it is too much uvb..do you use supplementing like calcium WITH d3 twice a month?? if so your uvb levels are safley covered, last thing you want is OVEREXPOSURE he will have no place to ecape the ultraviolet rays, they need "cool down' periods of low uvb (like hiding in shade, and to literally lower body temps) your temps where too high, mouth opened while basking is known as gaping (its like how dogs cool off) that is natural unless he is constantly gaping (meaning its too hot), again do not use the 10.0 its too much especially for such a young cham..leaning to one side is normal, and same with closing one eye (closest to the light) for very short periods, and alternating them (my male did the same when very young)..did you remove the waterfall?? it is worse than you think, i personally like the idea of the waterfalls, but do not use them because of the dangers that come with them, especially disease from bacteria growth (also dangerous to humans)..anyway, best of luck, but go with the reccomendations of "most" of us, rather than the "one" that happends to think like you did when unsure of what to use...

good luck with making the correct changes.

p.s. good looking lil cham you got!!:D

Totally agree with above. It is perfectly fine to use a 5.0 with your d3 supplementation. If something works keep it that way. It seems there are many different views especially the Uk compared with america. Uv lamps really are rubbish though compared to the real sun. the arcadia t5 systems are the closest thing to the sun atm.

Yeah I use calcium without d3 everyday and on sunday I used calcium with d3 for the first time. I also have a multivitamin that i'll give him once a month. He was only gaping for a little bit and it might have just been because he had a crusty nose haha. I haven't seen him gape at all in 2 days. Yeah he'll alternate eyes whenever he re positions himself, its probably just too bright on his one eye when he's sitting there soaking up the rays. Yeah I like the waterfalls too, mainly just because they look cool in the cage haha. But yeah I took it out and it was gross after only a few days, it already had like 6 dead crickets in it. I've just been misting more and I also have a dripper instead. I'll keep the 5uvb light in as long as he'll still be getting enough d3 from the supplements.

:D thank you, he's so tiny but he's already got some good colors when he gets angry lol.

Thanks for all the help!

Totally agree with above. It is perfectly fine to use a 5.0 with your d3 supplementation. If something works keep it that way. It seems there are many different views especially the Uk compared with america. Uv lamps really are rubbish though compared to the real sun. the arcadia t5 systems are the closest thing to the sun atm.

^^ 100 % agree to above ^^ :D

I also find that many USA keepers have their chams out in natural sunshine for periods of time when possible. Here in the uk we have approx 2-3 days a year where they can go out. We rely much more on artificial supplemetation and uv bulbs!

Back
Top Bottom