Is my cham sick

Day basking temp should be around 85,you don't need a night time bulb unless your house goes into the 50's. Reptisun 5.0 is the recommended UVB tube bulb.

...is the Zilla Tropical 25 series 15 watt T8 fluorescent bulb a good one?

What sould be the basking wattage?

Does it matter what color the bulb is cause I was told that the white bulb will mess up the Cham eyes.

what waatage should be the night lamp?...
Howdy,

The original versions of the Zilla Tropical and Desert series UVB lamps had just about the worst reputation in the industry (search this forum). The final results of their newly formulated products are not in so it is too soon to say. Stick with the Reptisun 5.0 linear for now.

Basking wattage can range from about 40W to 100W so long as you position the light to get the proper temp at the basking spot. I like the Philips Halogena 60W flood from Home Depot for about $6. Mine are located about 6"-8" away from the basking spot.

No night lights...ever... Cermaic heaters can be used if night temps drop below ~60F and maybe even lower.

You actually want a white light for basking. It's a physiological/psychological thing :rolleyes:.

Place all lights on top of the enclosure, aimed mostly downward.

No night lights...ever... Cermaic heaters can be used if night temps drop below ~60F and maybe even lower.

I'm going to disagree with the this statement to some extent. I keep my house at 65 degrees at night. I don't let my panthers get below 68 degrees. I know some people do, but I don't. I use lower watt ceramic heaters and red bulbs in every other cage. My cages are all in rows arounds rooms. They are placed in front of windows which makes the cage a bit colder than the rest of the room. They sit side by side so one night heat lamp warms two cages. They are turned off during the summer.

I believe that Panthers are less tolerant of night lows than Veileds are. I also believe that any Panther that is undergoing some sort of illness or stress should be kept a bit warmer until the situation becomes normal again. Warmer temperatures boost the immune system during times of illness and stress. For this reason I personally recommend that new aquisitions are kept a little warm at night until they get used to the new home. I've also known and encountered people who have had issues keeping Panthers in the lower 60's on a regular basis. They developed respiratory issues. For these reasons I have always maintained a night temperature of 68 degrees for my Panthers. It's works well for me.

One UVB tube is enough, but if you want you can get a dual top to put a plant light in. It's cheapest to buy the hood from home depot or lowes. No need for a fancy (overpriced) reptile hood.

Day basking temp should be around 85,you don't need a night time bulb unless your house goes into the 50's. Reptisun 5.0 is the recommended UVB tube bulb.

Talked to my vet about this... In his opinion, that's not nearly enough UVB. I'm using the 10.0, and he still suggested I switch to a mercury vapor bulb.

one reptisun 5.0( that matches the size of the viv aquordingly) has shown to be plenty of uvb....(depending on how thick your screen is....uvb doesent pass through glass)....10.0 is perfectly fine aswelll. if your using a thick harsh mesh....reptisun 10.0 is recomended....compact coild uvb bulbs cause blidness and eye issues....they should never be used.

well it looks like everyone has already helped you out. I just wanted to say how amazing your chameleon looks. I love the bright blue and the red in the background. He looks very healthy and super colorful for a petstore buy. Good luck with him.

Justin

He's temp 85 to 90 on the baskin side and 70 to 77 on the cool side.

Might be worth investing in a linear UV tube. In that cage, a horizontal Gradient is virtually non existant, There will be some but not much.
Your Gradient is best vertical.
My bet is that it was avoiding the heat put off by your powersun.
Powersun type bulbs (UV and Heat)are best (imo) used as combo bask/uv, without extra heating except where ness (climate/winter).
Also, you dont have alot of perches and hiding plant in the top half either, which might also explain the behaviour.

Last edited:
Hi Chamillonaire,

I see you are in Nashville. Did that cham come from Aquatic Critter? It looks kinda like one they had and I noticed it is gone the other day.

Back
Top Bottom