Is Mardi Ok?

mardithepanther

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Ambilobe, panther., male when we got him they told us he was 2 to 3 months old and that was november 24 2010. 10 months
Handling - 1 a month to soak some sun
Feeding - crickets and occ meal worms? average he would eat 4 now usually around six on his own? we put around 15 everyday in the morn? occ a carrot or kale or stawberries assorted leaves.
Supplements - flukers and zoo med calcuim with d3 and vitamin. once every two months
Watering - occ dripper? 1-2 a day until cage is soaked? occaisionally on his own but if i place a drip in front of him he will drink. I give him occ showers and he loves it.
Fecal Description - brown with white urate with partial orange. never been to vet.
History - We bought him at the LLL Reptile store. all up untill 3 months ago we had a cage problem and were forced to hand feed him due to crickets being able to escape his cage and he would not go for cup feeding. this was very stressful for him though he only gaped at us twice. he was only eating 1-4 crickets a day some times 5 or 6 one time 11. 3 months ago we got a brand new setup for him with new arboricola and cage. since then we have been able to free range the crickets. we are assuming he eat around 4-6 on his own but i make sure he eats at least 2-3 more when i get home.

Cage Info:New, has a slight crack down the door but i dont think its big enough to be an issue. will post pics
Cage Type - screen, 16x24x36
Lighting - Repti sun uvb , 12 on 12 off, on at 7 off at 7-8. recently lights havent been coming on all day. maybe once ever couple weeks.
Temperature - 83-85 basking 70-73 cage lowest is around 64 67
Humidity - 60. inconsistant. we have plants two plants and we mist. we dont have anything to consistantly measure.
Plants - We have two very healthy plants. One Shefflera arboricola, and one shefflera actinophylla.
Placement - on top of a dressor. no fans, no vents, and zero traffic. bottom of cage is about 4 feet off the ground.
Location - southern coastal california

Current Problem - We feel mardi is very undeveloped for his age he has only grown an inch or two since we got him...we are also worried he might have mbd. sometimes he would not move the whole day (it seemed like) but he has been active recently. our main problem is feeding and getting him to healthier conditions.:)

Well I think the source of your problem is you dont give him enough vitamin supplement. Once every two months isnt enough... I give mine vitamins every 1 or 2 weeks.

i have a ball python named Mardi :)
how big are the crickets you feeding him?
he maybe too stressed to eat because of the force feeding, my veiled got a RI and during treatment we had to feed him because he was too stressed from the handling everyday. maybe give him a day or two by himself and just free range the crickets and see how he reacts. try to closely monitor his droppings, new droppings means he's eating.
are you gut loading the crickets?

alot of people like rep-cal calcium without d3 about evry feeding and with d3 2 a month and multivitamins twice a month and you should up the mistings a bit and leave the dripper on for a little while linger for a longer chance to drink since he has a little orange in the urate and i think he could be under growth because you should feed him a little more and no vitamins my veiled is gunna be a year in november and barely has his adult colors because i didnt know about giving vitamins you should gut load better look for sandrachameleons blog entries and right now here in orange county we have some cool weather so give your cham some sun i leave mine out for about a few hours and go out every 20-30 min to mist and i have a dripper running nonstop

Error. i do have rep-cal with d3. but i feed him small size. a little more than a quarter inch. I have been free ranging for about three months now. and the low mistings were a previous mistake i will definitely mist more and try to get him out whenever i can. Mardi is getting some really cool colors but are only visible when he gets really excited like in the shower. How many crickets should be placed in the cage each day?

number of poops depends on how often he is eating when my veiled ate everyday he would poop about every day.
as for the amount of crickets he should be eating, i think its around 15-24 appropriately sized crickets a day (i may be wrong, its been a while for babies with me, my previous veiled i got as a baby plowed through 2 to 3 dozen crickets a day as a baby)

veiled i got as a baby plowed through 2 to 3 dozen crickets a day as a baby)[/QUOTE]

true that:p:p:p my female eats like 20-30 a day right now its a killler:p

do you have a calcium without d3? you should be using that EVERY FEEDING. What do you mean the lights don't come on and if they do once every two weeks?????:confused: Or do you mean once every two weeks they don't come on!! I hope that is what you mean! Try and get you chameleon out in the sun more often! Why so little? I realize now fall is here and unless you live in one of the warmer climates that is impossible now but what about all summer and spring?

Last edited:
I got him out a lot in the summer like for hours in the day 3 times a week. some times the lights dont come on. never really though. they are always on. and something happened to my w/out d3 so i will get more and dust my crix. hoping to post pictures soon

Back
Top Bottom