I worry that his enclosure is too small

Trinacham

Calvin forever wants to come out of his enclosure and I wonder if it is because he is bored of his surroundings and he needs somewhere bigger. I let him roam around the living room but it is hard because he always risks being trodden on by other family members and the dog. His enclosure is 18 by 36 inches.

imo there is hardly something to big for a baby chameleon too once you monitor and establish that he is hunting, most of the crickets migrate to the top corners of the cage any way in a large enclosure that is taller than it is wide

in the wild there territory is much much bigger than that, but they also aren't being taught to live in a small cage like in captivity so it just takes some monitoring and handfeeding, but once you get them in that big cage, I believe it to stimulate there appetite and growth

K, thanks everybody. I wish the man who sold him to me would have told me this or sold me the bigger one. He knew we were beginners and he chose the cage for us - he never said anything about upgrading later on.:mad:

K, thanks everybody. I wish the man who sold him to me would have told me this or sold me the bigger one. He knew we were beginners and he chose the cage for us - he never said anything about upgrading later on.:mad:

That's why it's usually best to do some research on exotic animals before purchasing them. There are often hidden costs that pet stores will never tell you about...

I'm sure by now though you've been bitten by the chameleon-keeping bug that gets to us all, and you'll inevitably end up spending more and more to keep your little reptile prince happy :)

Yes, for an adult most people go with 4'x2'x2' including myself.

Even then your cham may still want out, but it could just be due to "puberty."

They will start rubbing their cloaca all over the leaves and cage and are rather restless at times.

Only fix for that would be to just wait it out or get him a lady friend. :)

Back
Top Bottom