I want a chameleon

Hi, I'm saving up to buy a chameleon I work at Petsmart (just started) and I have my eyes on the chameleon at my store so as I'm saving money I'm trying to learn everything I need to know and everything about them and could use some advise and tips please ??
Please be aware that keeping an animal like a chameleon is not an inexpensive proposition, and for the health & well-being of the animal, is not something that should be done "on the cheap". I don't say this to dissuade, but in the interest of full disclosure of the realities.

IMO, one of the first things to make yourself aware of are the realistic costs involved. Keeping a reptile or reptiles is—for most—a hobby, which means it's an expensive money pit. It's not a matter of plunking down $XXX.00 and being good to go. Please peruse a few of the following:
cost of keeping a chameleon

Keeping a reptile is also—like keeping any animal—a commitment for the life of that animal. If you're in a fluid situation—family, school, job/income, health, relationship, etc.—that can present additional challenges (e.g. who's going to take care of your pet when you're away, on vacation, too ill, etc.?).

Watching vids & reading articles, books, & websites is good, but I've yet to see any that were all-inclusive and covered everything, so it's important to keep watching & reading—it's part of being a responsible keeper.

Will this be your first reptile? If so, I would also encourage you to view the following by Clint Laidlaw:
Top 5 Reptiles For Beginners
Top 5 Reptiles For Beginners (Clint Responds)

There are some good reasons there are no true chameleons on that list. I won't say nobody should start with a chameleon, but I will say keeping a chameleon can be a bit more challenging (and expensive) than keeping some of the other species.

Unfortunately, he does not have a veiled-chameleon-specific video (don't know why not—he should) but please watch this (if you haven't):

Which Chameleon Should I Get?

Again, I don't say any of this to dissuade, but in the interest of full disclosure of the realities. We want you to succeed, but without having to repeat mistakes of the past. This is a good place to help with that.

Also, before you take the plunge, have you investigated if there are any reptile rescues near you that may have a veiled chameleon in need of a new forever home? :)

Best Wishes

Welcome... I can not stress enough the value of the forum for feedback and then this site for accurate detailed information. https://chameleonacademy.com/

Basically anything your co workers tell you at petco is more then likely going to be totally wrong for a chameleon. From the dreaded cham kit and their compact uvb bulbs. Even the feeders and supplements they suggest.

These will also help you.

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Last edited:
Its pet smart its a male and a veiled chameleon I do not have photos of him yet
Is he already showing tarsal spurs? You know for sure it is a male?

I am going to take heat for saying this but I am going to anyways lol. Depending on how long it has been there it may or may not be the best idea. Petco/Petsmart does not provide the right lighting or supplements. Most that come out of there end up already sick. With that said there are two things you need to know. What gender is it for sure and how long has it been there? These are both important. Females can be much more of a challenge for new keepers because they lay infertile eggs. Not saying that a new keeper can not handle this just something to be considered. Their care needs to be spot on to make sure egg laying goes seamlessly. The other thing you should consider is you will not have the lineage on this boy to know genetic health as you would with a breeder. But finding great Veiled breeders is much harder then finding Panther breeders.

Now for my I am going to get heat for saying this portion. My boy Beman is a Petco baby. I have no issue with people buying from chain stores when they have all the facts of what they are getting into. I fell in love with him the first time I saw him. I got lucky because they only had him 3 days before I got him. So I did not have to worry about the possibility of MBD. But I did get a fecal done at my vet to ensure there was not a parasite issue.

I am very much aware that by buying chameleons from chain stores we promote them just getting more in that they can harm. HOWEVER I do not regret getting Beman for even one second. He has been a blessing and is the joy in my day. So if your stuck on this boy ask the right questions. Get your stuff together sooner then later. Get a fecal done before you bring him home if they will allow it.

I am going to take heat for saying this but I am going to anyways lol. Depending on how long it has been there it may or may not be the best idea. Petco/Petsmart does not provide the right lighting or supplements. Most that come out of there end up already sick. With that said there are two things you need to know. What gender is it for sure and how long has it been there? These are both important. Females can be much more of a challenge for new keepers because they lay infertile eggs. Not saying that a new keeper can not handle this just something to be considered. Their care needs to be spot on to make sure egg laying goes seamlessly. The other thing you should consider is you will not have the lineage on this boy to know genetic health as you would with a breeder. But finding great Veiled breeders is much harder then finding Panther breeders.

Now for my I am going to get heat for saying this portion. My boy Beman is a Petco baby. I have no issue with people buying from chain stores when they have all the facts of what they are getting into. I fell in love with him the first time I saw him. I got lucky because they only had him 3 days before I got him. So I did not have to worry about the possibility of MBD. But I did get a fecal done at my vet to ensure there was not a parasite issue.

I am very much aware that by buying chameleons from chain stores we promote them just getting more in that they can harm. HOWEVER I do not regret getting Beman for even one second. He has been a blessing and is the joy in my day. So if your stuck on this boy ask the right questions. Get your stuff together sooner then later. Get a fecal done before you bring him home if they will allow it.
Okay and I'm saving everything up to get everything I need also I have found a veiled chameleon breeder just fell in love with the one at my store but if that don't work I'll go to the breeder

Well to anyone thinking of buying from Petco/petsmart, this is why I DONT buy from them. And I'm aware I may catch some heat for this, but I have to speak what I think is right... I adopted a chameleon from Petcosmart years ago. After some very strange behavior within the months that I got him and a few attempts on mine and my family's lives... It was revealed that he was actually a psychopathic 50 year old woman with a condition that made her look like a juevenile veiled chameleon.

So for that reason alone, I do not recommend getting animals from Petco/petsmart.

All stores are here to turn a buck just matters if they actually take the time to care for them properly and provide the correct setup. Ones that don't should be avoided because you're just lining their pockets with more money to buy more to put in their shop.

Well... bite your long sticky tongue! ? ?

Teddybear18... FWIW...

Should I Buy a Reptile from Petco/PetSmart?
I haven't vetted the above link thoroughly (my bad), but it appears to present both sides, and the Missus is calling... :)
Still I am ok with buying from a big box under the right circumstances... I had no issues with my boy granted he was not there long enough to get health issues. I have had a bad experience buying from a breeder. So you get both. There are some breeders that are known for shady practices as well. Makes them no better then a big box store IMO.

Still I am ok with buying from a big box under the right circumstances...
Wasn't being judgmental. When I was a kid, I didn't get all those green anoles and baby red-eared sliders from a breeder—not at $0.69 a pop! ? :LOL: :rolleyes: (Anybody else here remember Neisner's? ? Woolworth's?)

I might do the same (buying from a big box) ...under the right circumstances. ;)
Good caring mgt. & staff vs.... the other. :) vs. :( = :confused:

Truth be told, it's the whole impulse purchase thing that bothers me more.

Back
Top Bottom