I want a chameleon

Still I am ok with buying from a big box under the right circumstances... I had no issues with my boy granted he was not there long enough to get health issues. I have had a bad experience buying from a breeder. So you get both. There are some breeders that are known for shady practices as well. Makes them no better then a big box store IMO.

I hope you know I was joking with you in my above post.

hmm now fully understanding what my cham needed and seeing how the cham was taken care of at the store.
I'm glad I scooped him up.
The enclosure he was in was super small any only had 1 piece of wood with 2 vines and the dripper in there.
and multiple chams in the enclosure.
not sure if it makes a difference if they were babies but I'm happy hes here with me.
Btw this place rocks on information.
Despite all the wrong things I bought I have now all the correct things and looking forward to next month to upgrading the enclosure for when he gets bigger.
best wish to you if you decide to get the cham!

Wasn't being judgmental. When I was a kid, I didn't get all those green anoles and baby red-eared sliders from a breeder—not at $0.69 a pop! ? :LOL: :rolleyes: (Anybody else here remember Neisner's? ? Woolworth's?)

I might do the same (buying from a big box) ...under the right circumstances. ;)
Good caring mgt. & staff vs.... the other. :) vs. :( = :confused:

Truth be told, it's the whole impulse purchase thing that bothers me more.

LOL impulse buying does not mean death for the animal. I impulse bought Beman and I am one of the most active members here. I know my husbandry inside and out. Truth be told had I not found him I NEVER would have thought about getting one. Within the first few days I found this site and read everything I could non stop. I had totally converted everything that I had originally bought within the first 2 weeks and ordered a DS enclosure. While impulse buying is not the best it does not mean that someone can not be successful doing it.

People find their passions in hobbies in different ways IMO.

Lmao, you're just sitting there mind blown... like I can't believe james went through all that... terrifying world we live in...

Nah I'm just bored posting dumb stuff :)
I like it when your in a funny mood. ;) Much better then serious, stern, I have not slept, I don't know where the kids are, who am I... mood. :hilarious:

How do the Pet Stores sell the chams cheap? They must get some kind of deal with shipping. I guess it is $50 to ship from breeder. When you go to Repticon shows, there is no shipping cost.

With that said there are two things you need to know. What gender is it for sure and how long has it been there? These are both important.
Even if the cham was at petsmart for only a week, the place where he was before petsmart is not much better...

LOL impulse buying does not mean death for the animal.
Wow. :confused: Did you infer that I meant impulse purchase of a live animal equates to death of the animal? Because I never said nor implied that; it's only one extreme possible—negative or positive—outcome.

It's good that there are some positive outliers, and I'm glad that there are. I'm not bothered by the positive outcomes; I'm bothered by the negative outcomes.

impulse purchase of pets

Even if the cham was at petsmart for only a week, the place where he was before petsmart is not much better...
No its not... But then again... Most breeders don't let us look at their behind the scene set ups either... I am just saying IMO just because it is a breeder does not always mean it is better.

Whatever your thoughts, nothing beats a good breeder. More than just ethical animal issues, a big problem with chains is they make it nearly impossible for small businesses that do have ethical practices. I've seen it first hand, oldchamkeeper has talked about it a few times with his experience as well. So not only do they usually have poor practices, but they encourage/force other more animal friendly stores to either close or start cutting corners with their care in order to make a profit.

Whatever your thoughts, nothing beats a good breeder. More than just ethical animal issues, a big problem with chains is they make it nearly impossible for small businesses that do have ethical practices. I've seen it first hand, oldchamkeeper has talked about it a few times with his experience as well. So not only do they usually have poor practices, but they encourage/force other more animal friendly stores to either close or start cutting corners with their care in order to make a profit.
yeah there was this amazing small store in our plaza that was great at handling fishes and gave people all the proper equipment.
Petco open and it was like they never existed and closed out.
I've seen it come back under different owners but was never the same.
sad that people with good intentions and just doing right by the animals they own, are just pushed out by chain stores.

Back
Top Bottom