I thought Louie's eye was improving...

lgstang

It's not as it was before, but not better either. He's got it closed for the most part and it looks a little glazed over. So I dropped some warm water onto his eye and was going to rub it with a qtip dipped in the warm water and he was almost leaning into the qtip. :confused: I feel so bad for him... :( I'm going to call around for a vet tomorrow. Any idea what could be wrong? It's obviously not debris in his eye. I took his cage out last night and scrubbed it down, repotted his plant, cleaned the river rock, etc. He doesn't seem to be acting any different, he's eating and drinking like normal.

I'm not very educated on the subject(s) so I'll give as much info as I can.

Cage Info:

-Cage & Lighting - The small cage setup completely listed here; http://chameleonsonly.com/Screen-Enclosures.htm
-Temperature - 70, I turned the heat lamp off about 10 minutes ago so he could sleep
-Humidity - 70, I just turned his dripper off and misted
-Plants - I don't remember what it is, but when we got it I do know it was listed on the "safe plants" list that came with him and all our accessories.
-Location - On a bookshelf, in the corner of my bedroom next to a window we keep a sheer curtain on.

Chameleon Info:

-Your Chameleon - Panther Morph Cross, ~ year old, male
- Feeding - Crickets, always with supplement. Crickets get fresh fruit occasionally, gutload is refreshed often.
Supplements - calcium, herptivite, minerall... rotating, not all at once
* Watering - dropper (came with package), and gets misted often
* Fecal Description - looks like what it always has
* History - His cage/setup has not changed since day 1, other than the fact that we used to have a waterfall (~7 months ago) but did not replace it when it crapped out. We moved to NM from TX in Feb and things have been fine up until recently.

The plant that you have may be important to know as some plants have sap that can cause chams eye problems.

If you have a camera take a picture of it and one of the member may be able to identify it for you and make sure that it is not part of the problem.

Also Does you Cham get it's water from ther water fall? Most of the keeper here will recommend against having the waterfall in the enclosure as it will breed bacteria which may end up causing your Cham to get sick...(not necessarily causing the eye problem)

What may help with your chams eye problem for now is to get him into a warm shower for about 20 to 30 min. Let the shower hit the wall and then bounce onto your cham. ( shower your cham directly:eek)

your decision to get your cham to the Vet will probably be good one...

Good luck

OPI

Could you be a little more specific about your vitamin supplement schedule? We have had a few eye issues here that were vitamin related. Twice chams were taken to vets and the ointments and shots prescribed did not do the trick. It seemed to clear up after we began giving occasional tiny doses of vitamin A from liquid capsules. This is a controversial practice, however, and should be done with great caution. Here is a thread about the vitamin A:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/food-thought-12472/

Just a thought. Keep in mind we did take each cham to the vet first. If you have a chronic health problem that is not a simple husbandry issue than a vet is the best place to start.

Opihiman had some good ideas, too.

The plant that you have may be important to know as some plants have sap that can cause chams eye problems.

If you have a camera take a picture of it and one of the member may be able to identify it for you and make sure that it is not part of the problem.

Also Does you Cham get it's water from ther water fall? Most of the keeper here will recommend against having the waterfall in the enclosure as it will breed bacteria which may end up causing your Cham to get sick...(not necessarily causing the eye problem)

What may help with your chams eye problem for now is to get him into a warm shower for about 20 to 30 min. Let the shower hit the wall and then bounce onto your cham. ( shower your cham directly:eek)

your decision to get your cham to the Vet will probably be good one...

Good luck

OPI

I don't have a waterfall anymore... he gets his water from a dropper. Everytime it's filled it gets water conditioner, as does the misting bottle.

Wouldn't the plant have caused issues sooner than a year though? It looks identical to the hibiscus listed on the database [in my opinion], though it's never bloomed. If I cou

It's almost like his eye does this only in the evening, at night. Because it's fine now. It's his left eye.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 135
Could you be a little more specific about your vitamin supplement schedule? We have had a few eye issues here that were vitamin related. Twice chams were taken to vets and the ointments and shots prescribed did not do the trick. It seemed to clear up after we began giving occasional tiny doses of vitamin A from liquid capsules. This is a controversial practice, however, and should be done with great caution. Here is a thread about the vitamin A:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/food-thought-12472/

Just a thought. Keep in mind we did take each cham to the vet first. If you have a chronic health problem that is not a simple husbandry issue than a vet is the best place to start.

Opihiman had some good ideas, too.
Thanks. To be honest with you, it's my husband that feeds him most of the time. [I have an issue dealing with the adult crickets!] I do know he uses supplement everytime, how often and which one I'm not too sure of.

Oh, and I think I'm going to start a project this weekend and make him a bigger enclosure. Will probably have to pick up a 2nd heat lamp and some cool fake plants/vines in addition to what I already have.

I don't have a waterfall anymore... he gets his water from a dropper. Everytime it's filled it gets water conditioner, as does the misting bottle.

Wouldn't the plant have caused issues sooner than a year though? It looks identical to the hibiscus listed on the database [in my opinion], though it's never bloomed. If I cou

It's almost like his eye does this only in the evening, at night. Because it's fine now. It's his left eye.

he's a beautiful panther.
that's hibiscus. shouldn't b a problem.
have you ever have a fecal test done?

What are his light/dark cycles like...when is lights on and off...

Also consider getting a tighter dish for the bottom of you plant...that will prevent your cham from ever getting at the standing water.

OPI

Yeah, the best thing you can do is get him to a vet asap. As I mentioned in your prior thread, a female veiled of mine was having eye difficulties and it turned out that it was an URI, of which the eye problems were a symptom, and by the time I got a proper diagnosis it was too late. She was my first, and it was a tough lesson. I hope you find a vet soon and things get better!

Oh, and he would LOVE a larger enclosure, that one is a tad small! :eek:

Yeah, the best thing you can do is get him to a vet asap. As I mentioned in your prior thread, a female veiled of mine was having eye difficulties and it turned out that it was an URI, of which the eye problems were a symptom, and by the time I got a proper diagnosis it was too late. She was my first, and it was a tough lesson. I hope you find a vet soon and things get better!

Oh, and he would LOVE a larger enclosure, that one is a tad small! :eek:
Thanks.

I believe we are going to start building him a bigger, nicer enclosure this weekend. I want to put some more "decor" in it for him to climb around on.

Back
Top Bottom