Chameleon eye

paulywally

Hello so I'm worried about my chameleon. Ever since we got her one of her eyes has always been slitly shut. It's not everytime I look at her but it's some times. One eye will be open and the other will be closed.
I've looked at other forums and seen I will need to fill out a guide.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled chameleon, female, 4 -6 months I believe
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not often. Haven't gotten her used to human touch just yet
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Dubai roaches, superworms, and crickets. Gut loading, with carrots and greens
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Some times I see our chameleon drink I mist every hour for 2 minutes.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Brownish black with a white pocket
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 18/18, 4 feet high
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hour on 12 hours off I'm not sure what brand of lights we're using.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a thermometer and a hygrometer, night time temp is around 65 to 70, day time 75 to 90
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I have a hygrometer for humidity night time it's 85 to 100 day time it's 15 to 25.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live plants yes I have a pathos a red furn
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Height is close to 3 feet off the ground top of cage is 8 feet high.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? North carolina

Attachments

• 20240109_223225.jpg
    20240109_223225.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240109_223335.jpg
    20240109_223335.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Dubai roaches, superworms, and crickets. Gut loading, with carrots and greens
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hour on 12 hours off I'm not sure what brand of lights we're using.

night time temp is around 65 to 70, day time 75 to 90

I have a hygrometer for humidity night time it's 85 to 100 day time it's 15 to 25
I see no one has replied yet so I will give the info I can for you and @ some experienced keepers. So most of the stuff you’re doing for her care looks okay and I’m also very sorry your girl is having troubles. I wanted to go over a couple things I see. Your humidity during the day is too dry it should be between %30-%50. Your night humidity is fine. The day temps and basking temp I wouldn’t let go higher than 80 it can dehydrate your Cham. Your night temps are okay they can be a tad lower but your night temps wouldn’t be causing eye problems. Chameleons commonly have eye problems from things such as incorrect supplements, dehydration or incorrect lighting. I read you don’t know what lighting you have maybe you could provide us some more pictures of the entire enclosure and lighting. I also see you didn’t answer the question for supplements, what supplements are you feeding her and what is the schedule. Also you are misting your chameleon WAYY too often, if you mist her every hour for 2 minutes the cage will never fully dry out and bacteria will accumulate causing her to get sick.

We would really like to see more pictures and get the information on the supplements/lighting you have so we can help you prevent this from happening again.
In the meantime you’re going to want to schedule an appointment with an exotic reptile vet so you can be certain you know what is wrong, make sure you find a reputable vet I’m sure someone here can recommend you to one. I’m going to @Beman and @MissSkittles to this post so they can give you some further information. I hope your girl starts to improve.

Last edited:
Hi. :) I’ll be needing more info in order to fully try to figure out what may be going on. More pics of your enclosure as well, including your lights will also be of huge help. I’ll be breaking this into two parts.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled chameleon, female, 4 -6 months I believe I love pied! Need a better pic of all of her please.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not often. Haven't gotten her used to human touch just yet It’s always good to work on building some trust. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Dubai roaches, superworms, and crickets. Ok, not bad. Could add to it though. How much is she getting fed and how often? Gut loading, with carrots and greens Same - not bad but needs more. Graphics below will help.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? This is essential to know
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Some times I see our chameleon drink I mist every hour for 2 minutes. This is way too often. You only need spray for two minutes, 2-3 times a day…right before lights go on and off and at mid day if needed. Look to the urate to determine hydration status as many chams are secretive about drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Brownish black with a white pocket The white is the urate. White is hydrated. It’s ok to have a small bit of yellow or orange on the end, but all yellow or all orange is dehydrated. It’s always good to have a veterinary wellness visit and fecal check for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

• IMG_0151.jpeg
    IMG_1188.jpeg

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 18/18, 4 feet high This is an unusual size. I’d really like to see some pics of the entire enclosure. Very often we see things that aren’t asked about or mentioned.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hour on 12 hours off I'm not sure what brand of lights we're using. This is also essential. Do you have a screw in uvb or a long bar? If a long bar, look at the end of it - better yet, take & post a pic so we know what you’re using.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a thermometer and a hygrometer, night time temp is around 65 to 70, day time 75 to 90 Good temps at night. 90 is way too hot for the day. You don’t want any higher than 80 for a young chameleon and a girl.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I have a hygrometer for humidity night time it's 85 to 100 day time it's 15 to 25. What type of hygrometer are you using? Is it analog with a ‘face’ or digital? Analog ones are notoriously inaccurate. Digital with a probe end is great. Since your night temps are below 70, your humidity boost is good. But for daytime it’s too low. Being in NC it really shouldn’t be so low and especially with your misting every hour. Wrapping the back and two sides with shower curtain or shrink to fit window insulating film will help keep humidity in.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live plants yes I have a pathos a red furn Not sure if the fern is safe. Our veiled girls really tend to nibble their plants so it’s important that all be clean, safe (veiled tested) and live. This will help. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Height is close to 3 feet off the ground top of cage is 8 feet high. Wow! Excellent height!
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? North carolina
So without more info and pics, I really can’t say anything about your girl other than both of her eyes should be open during the day. With our girls, because they lay eggs (even if they never see a male) it’s absolutely essential to have our husbandry as perfect as possible to prevent problems, some of which can be fatal or super expensive to treat. Once you provide more info, we can give more feedback.
Great places to learn so very much are https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ and https://www.neptunethechameleon.com/

Back
Top Bottom