I know 0 about Humidifiers

MsCham

I found this on sale. No clue how old it is. No clue anything about humidifiers, or what to look for, or what I'd need in regards to chams. I do know I'd like to find one to help maintain humidity in my screen enclosure. I already have a drip system, however with the bad ratings, I don't want to go to mist... so I've started looking. Can anyone advise me what to look for? Is this good? Is it terribly unhygienic to get one second hand? Again... I know zip about them! All help is greatly appreciated!

Personally I would get a brand new household humidifier which you can customise to use for your enclosure. They are relatively cheap are enough without having to consider getting a second hand one. It would save you the trouble of not knowing where it's been or what it's been used for. From the picture it looks like the humidifier has a "medication cup." This (I presume) is for adding oils like menthol which can help breathing when you have a cold etc. As you don't know if this has been used or not or whats been put in there I wouldn't risk it personally.

I've done something similar to this, the video covers what kind of humidifier you should be after and how you can mod them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp2XieaYmJ8

Most of the new humidifiers also have filters in them.

Once you get your set up you want to get the fog into the enclosure and monitor how it affects your humidity levels. Then you want to figure out a fogging schedule to maintain the humidity levels but with breaks allowing things to dry a little so as not to promote mold etc.

Hope this helps

Ok, let's start with I am lazy, but need my chams to have anything they need. I bought a cheap Crane humidifier at target, about $40. They have directional spouts. I remove the spout stick in a pcv fitting, add a flex hose, lay the hose on the cage, and fill and turn the humidifier on. Crane makes animal humidifiers for kids. If you are only doing one cage, get the elephant humidifier, set the humidifier beside or on the cage and the trunk will shoot the humidity into the cage. A cheap timer will control the times and amount of fog. You really do have to fill the tank from the bottom, and I clean mine every day.

Back
Top Bottom