I have baby werneri!!!!

Out of a clutch of 20, two died without breaking out of the membrane and I found one dead today. They are eating ffs and bean beetles and I'm picking up some pinhead crickets this week. Some definitely seem stronger than others and although I hate losing any, I'll be thrilled if even half survive.

I'll take some new photos tomorrow. Their eyes are so huge compared to their bodies that they look like little aliens. :D But, they are adorable.

Chams

Yeah keep them cool. I love the red on the eye turrets
They always look like they have flowers on there eyes
I guess it helps draw the bugs in
And they get a mint color camouflage
Look at sub adult.

My best luck with raising "montane" babies in Florida (with cool dry central air) was to set them up in fully planted glass terrariums: http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulAndersonGlass.html I would keep newborn babies in the 12x12x18" models in small groups to start with and I would mist once to twice a day. It doesn't seem like a lot of misting for montanes, but it works in these enclosures as the humidity is retained better. I definitely recommend giving it a try!

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris. I have them all in a planted glass terrarium and I have several others I can use as well.

My best luck with raising "montane" babies in Florida (with cool dry central air) was to set them up in fully planted glass terrariums: http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulAndersonGlass.html I would keep newborn babies in the 12x12x18" models in small groups to start with and I would mist once to twice a day. It doesn't seem like a lot of misting for montanes, but it works in these enclosures as the humidity is retained better. I definitely recommend giving it a try!

Chris

Here are some new pictures from today. So far I've only lost the one and all the others are active and feeding.

Werneri neonates 08-25-13b.jpg

Werneri neonates 08-25-13d.jpg

Werneri neonates 08-25-13e.jpg

Werneri neonates 08-25-13a.jpg

Werneri neonates 08-25-13f.jpg

Congrats! I'm waiting on my female werneri to drop babies as well. Any idea on gestation or did you get her already gravid? How long have you had her for? I've had pretty good luck keeping baby montanes in the glass/screen hybrid tanks by Zilla (flex cages or something like that?) which seem to offer plenty of ventilation but retain humidity well. I also run an ultrasonic humidifier on a timer for 20 minutes 3-4 times per day into their cages. Seems to be the only way to keep humidity up without dousing the cage and running into bacterial issues. Also, I highly recommend separating them out based on size from very early on. Never had luck raising montanes in groups for very long... Best of luck with them!

Back
Top Bottom