I don't hold my cham

Except for when I would literally get jumped I never held any of my chams, but I did hand feed and get them used to me. When Pippin got really sick that was important so I could hydrate and feed when he couldn't really move.

The whole holding thing is not only dependant on the cham's personality but also the keeper's. I think as a rule of thumb one shouldn't handle their chameleons until they have gained a really good understanding of how to judge stress levels and overall mood.

I second that, is there an application process?

I think if someone is in tune with their animals and fully respecting their moods like Jann handling is okay. But it is important for people to understand these aren't puppies, or bearded dragons. You aren't going to play with them, they aren't a toy, they are delicate beautiful creatures that break very easily.

I would nearly bet Jann has never held her cham up to a mirror just so all her friends could see one of her chams fire up. This is the type of stuff people do that make me just say to not handle them.

Wow, it hadn't even occurred to me to do that (hold him to a mirror). I've gone out of my way to not scare him/stress him, so I couldn't really understand someone doing that. I *do* like the idea of giving him a safe area to free-range. I think he would enjoy it. I've really enjoyed all the input. Thanks.

I agree, it certainly depends on the indiviual animal and how in-tune the keeper is too. All of my current chameleons are definitely what you might call "friendly" chameleons (except my Meller's.) But it comes from knowing how to work with them properly, using food and other rewards to build trust. I don't force the relationship, but if you can condition any animal (or human) the same way if you know how.

My one panther male, Daedalus, has been out and about with me his entire life (either free-ranging or not) he's a perfect chameleon to take with me to educational visits with kids or university lectures. Not every chameleon I've owned or currently own has this level of easy-going tolerance, but he's excellent. And it comes from me handling consistently from 3 months of age.

However, I still think that any animal that can become accustomed to human interaction is better off for it. I've never worked at a zoo/wildlife center where we didn't condition the animals to be relaxed with us. It's way better to have the animals, whether they are eagles or gators, to be tolerant of you than to have them cower in a corner in horror, bash into walls, or otherwise injure themselves (or you) every time we go in to clean and feed. I'm glad that since my chameleons have no choice but to be in captivity, that they at least associate me with positive things, such as food or a free ride to the outside. A much better state than fearing for their lives every time I open their cages.

Today was the first time I held the chameleon I have now. I have a phobia of bugs, insects, spiders, roaches, lizards, whatever. (I know right, then how the hell do you have a jackson's chameleon?! haha) When we first got her, she was all brown and rarely turned green in her cage so I took her out a lot but would just carry her on a stick and let her climb and she'd get all happy.

Then I went away for college and came back for summer now and she's all green most of the time. And today I just decided to carry her and she was still pretty much green the whole time. The only thing is that afterward, my arm had bumps and scratches from her claws. But its fine now.

I used to hold mine everyday, recently I let them come out and climb on me every other day. I think it all depends on the chameleon and mostly on the handling when it was a hatchling and such. I guess you could call it "playing" with my cham. I dont think it stresses them out when they are used to it. Just check the chams colors and reaction to you sticking your hand in and letting it catch a ride..."Caaatch a riiide!!!"

Holding my Cham

I personally don't hold my chameleon. When i first got him i tried it twice, but it made him really stressed out. When i contacted the breeder about it she said it would be like that for a while. I decided though after the second holding, that i should just wait until he's used to me. But for now I am content with just watching and hanging out with my chameleon, kind of like what you said. :)

With the exception of my 2 smallest chams, all my guys are alowed to be
either inside, or outside their cages.
They always prefer being outside!!
And not just to go higher up, they will hang out near the floor sometimes
too :D
It's their nature to want to go higher, but it's also their nature to explore.

I dont think there is anything on the first floor of my house that Noogie hasnt
climbed on :eek:
He will actually walk around the floor and under the furniture, and emerge
the other side with a dustball stuck to him!! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom