How old do I look?

It’s 6% uvb

To go into more detail of what the vet said. He said she is weak, and to keep doing the calcium dusting of her food, also to add more variety. He said to get a gram scale because she is on the small and light side, and the bumps on her sides are most likely calcium deposits. They liked her lights and did say she would need a larger cage when she was bigger. They also her a calcium injection.
They said hydration and humidity was important and to make sure she’s eating and her weight does not drop but to not over feed her to. More food variety would be good, as crickets could be bully’s and bite her.
Ok that makes me feel much better about their knowledge.

Ok so with a 6% bulb in a single bulb T5HO fixture. You want a measured 8-9 inches to the branches directly below. So you are measuring from the bottom of the fixture to the branch. She needs this distance to be in the correct UVI level.

Make sure you have some horizontal branches at this distance so she can bask comfortably at the right distance.

Now it would be good to fill this out in detail. Then we can spot anything that needs correcting. Post pics of the entire cage as well.

Copy and paste this into your reply. Then fill it out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon- The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
    • Veiled Chameleon, Female, about 5-6 months old. I have had her for about a week now. Her name is Nachito
  • Handling- How often do you handle your chameleon?
    • I try not to handle her unless I need to change something in her cage
  • Feeding- What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
    • She gets about 5 crickets in her cage, they are put in there when I wake up, usually around 6:45 am to 7:00 am on weekdays. I put some lettuce and other greens in the feeders tank every few days to gut-load them.
  • Supplements- What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
    • I use the feeders dusted in Repti Calcium every day, going to start mixing it with Reptivite with D3 for a little bit as the Vet suggested like every other day.
  • Watering- What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
    • I refill the drip system I made every morning and when I get home. I also spray down her cage in the morning and a few times after I get home with a misting bottle, Its usually a few good squirts that leave drops on the leaves.
  • Fecal Description- Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
    • From what I have seen is that It does look pretty white, I haven't seen lots of solid parts of poops, but the one I think I did see was smaller and hard (a day or two old). No this chameleon has not be tested for parasites.
  • History- Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
    • She was a class pet for a fourth grade class. From the instructions I was given when I first took care of her before adopting her was that they put about 8 crickets in her cage and missed it down twice a day. She was left alone without anything over the weekends. She didn't have proper lighting, no basking or UVB. Was left without food or water for 4 days right before I was able to take her back and convince the teacher to let me keep her. She does have some signs of MBD.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type- Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
    • 1 foot by 1 foot by 2 feet. Its a screen cage
      • Edit: Bought the Tall Hybrid Dragon stand
  • Lighting- What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
    • UVB light sold from Reptile basics, brand Arcadia, 22" 6% UV-B 24 watt. Lighting usually lasts from 6:45am to about 7 or 8pm. (I think I should shorten this up)
    • Then I have the light fixture that she came with, I believe a Combo deep dome dual lamp fixture, With only a traditional household incandescent 60w bulb without LED installed and turned on.
  • Temperature- What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
    • Lowest it gets at night is about 63 degrees F, the bottom of the cage is about 68 degrees F and the basking spot is about 82 degrees from what I just checked and 8 inches below the UVB light.
  • Humidity- What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
    • Humidity is about 26 to 40. I believe I have a AcuRite Digital Hygrometer & Indoor Thermometer Pre-Calibrated Humidity Gauge. I hook it to the basking branch to see how hot it is and it's usually sitting next to the cage recording everything.
      • Bought the Mistking Starter system
  • Plants- Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
    • Yes and No, she currently has Two fake plants in her cage and I recently Installed a live Spider Plant as well.
  • Placement- Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
    • 3 feet of the ground and about 2 to 2 1/2 feed below the ceiling. No vents above or below it, although there are some in the room. There's a fan that usually turns on at night, although its facing away from the cage. Not high traffic, its just my room, although I do have two budgies that reside in a cage in there as well.
  • Location- Where are you geographically located?
    • Suburbs of Colorado
Not much, just about a future cage placement. I plan on putting Nachitos cage on my desk on the opposite side of the the room from where she is now as its the best place to fit a bigger cage, but there are two vents on the cealing that would be closer, one almost above the cage. How would that affect her and the cage?
--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
75D212AA-DD12-4F98-89E9-F17A4D8037B5.jpeg
0265169D-2808-4064-BA31-3EA4A3C0341E.jpeg

Photos from when she first arrived above

Photos of her today after her vet visit
1597FB7B-DEBB-497A-87C8-F0121BCCDCCB.jpeg

0E15F3D7-288A-42BE-B49E-F1AFBDA51120.jpeg

Last edited:
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon- The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
    • Veiled Chameleon, Female, about 5-6 months old. I have had her for about a week now. Her name is Nachito
    • I try not to handle her unless I need to change something in her cage I know you’ve got many changes to make for her, so try to do them quickly to reduce her stress.
  • Feeding- What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
    • She gets about 5 crickets in her cage, they are put in there when I wake up, usually around 6:45 am to 7:00 am on weekdays. Are you using a feeding station? Loose crickets can hide and later when they get hungry, can try to bite Nachito. You could also put just a small piece of carrot or something on the bottom for any stray crickets to eat. Adding feeders like roaches and silkworms would be a great way to get more nutrition into her. I put some lettuce and other greens in the feeders tank every few days to gut-load them. Avoid giving lettuce as it’s nutrient-poor. Attaching graphics for you. (Can’t recall if I gave these to you already)
  • Supplements- What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
    • I use the feeders dusted in Repti Calcium every day, going to start mixing it with Reptivite with D3 for a little bit as the Vet suggested like every other day. Yeah…I don’t know about giving the Reptivite with D3 more than one feeding every other week. It contains fat soluble vitamins like A & D3 which can easily build up to dangerous levels. What would be much better is when you get some nice warm sunny days, take her outside for a short time for some natural D3.
  • Watering- What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
    • I refill the drip system I made every morning and when I get home. I also spray down her cage in the morning and a few times after I get home with a misting bottle, Its usually a few good squirts that leave drops on the leaves. The Mist King will make your life sooo much easier. You’ll want to set it to run for 2 minutes right before lights on and off. You can use the dripper during the day or instead give another misting.
  • Fecal Description- Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
    • From what I have seen is that It does look pretty white, I haven't seen lots of solid parts of poops, but the one I think I did see was smaller and hard (a day or two old). No this chameleon has not be tested for parasites. You should really have her tested. Since you just saw the vet you should be able to drop off a fresh poo for testing.
  • History- Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
    • She was a class pet for a fourth grade class. From the instructions I was given when I first took care of her before adopting her was that they put about 8 crickets in her cage and missed it down twice a day. She was left alone without anything over the weekends. She didn't have proper lighting, no basking or UVB. Was left without food or water for 4 days right before I was able to take her back and convince the teacher to let me keep her. She does have some signs of MBD. Biting my tongue.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type- Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
      • Edit: Bought the Tall Hybrid Dragon stand Hopefully you’ll be able to get that all set up and move her into it. That will greatly reduce the stress of being in a too small enclosure.
  • Lighting- What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
    • UVB light sold from Reptile basics, brand Arcadia, 22" 6% UV-B 24 watt. Lighting usually lasts from 6:45am to about 7 or 8pm. (I think I should shorten this up) Yes, a 12 hour on/off schedule is better. No lights at all at night.
    • Then I have the light fixture that she came with, I believe a Combo deep dome dual lamp fixture, With only a traditional household incandescent 60w bulb without LED installed and turned on. I’d suggest putting a plant bulb in the second space of the dome. This one is pretty good. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BRKG7X1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Temperature- What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
    • Lowest it gets at night is about 63 degrees F, the bottom of the cage is about 68 degrees F and the basking spot is about 82 degrees from what I just checked and 8 inches below the UVB light. Perfect! Just make sure your temps don’t get any higher. Usually we try to keep our girls at 80.
  • Humidity- What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
    • Humidity is about 26 to 40. I believe I have a AcuRite Digital Hygrometer & Indoor Thermometer Pre-Calibrated Humidity Gauge. I hook it to the basking branch to see how hot it is and it's usually sitting next to the cage recording everything. Since you have a good temp drop at night, you may want to use a cool mist dehumidifier at night to boost humidity all the way up. This helps simulate the natural hydration chams get in the wild from fog.
    • Yes and No, she currently has Two fake plants in her cage and I recently Installed a live Spider Plant as well. Pothos is your new best friend. ;) You’ll want to get a taller center plant, like a schefflera and then using the 2 pot method, hang plants on the sides. This will explain.https://dragonstrand.com/getting-the-most-from-your-dragon-strand-dragon-ledges/ Use the fake plants on the outside of the door to give her added privacy. While all veileds nibble their plants, the ladies seem to make a sport of it. One of my girls strips most of the leaves off her plants and some of her pothos are just bare vines hanging down. Eating a fake leaf can cause impaction.
  • Placement- Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
    • 3 feet of the ground and about 2 to 2 1/2 feed below the ceiling. No vents above or below it, although there are some in the room. There's a fan that usually turns on at night, although its facing away from the cage. Not high traffic, its just my room, although I do have two budgies that reside in a cage in there as well.
    • Suburbs of Colorado
Not much, just about a future cage placement. I plan on putting Nachitos cage on my desk on the opposite side of the the room from where she is now as its the best place to fit a bigger cage, but there are two vents on the cealing that would be closer, one almost above the cage. How would that affect her and the cage? I have a ceiling vent directly above my chameleons and use a deflector so that it doesn’t blow on them. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Accord-5-7...c-Mount-Plastic-Ceiling-Air-Deflector/3260399
You are making all of the changes needed to give Nachito a good life. Poor girl has had it rough, but now she’s got you and things are looking so much better.
Have we talked about lay bins yet? When you set up the DragonStrand enclosure, make sure to add a lay bin as a permanent part of it.

--------------
BD3DDB67-1302-40EE-84A5-4C845D02E7FE.jpeg
127E8A9F-5826-4766-814A-2231A28BAE5E.jpeg
6D2E5801-3751-4C04-9432-03F505EE7F31.jpeg

Chameleon Info:
    • I try not to handle her unless I need to change something in her cage I know you’ve got many changes to make for her, so try to do them quickly to reduce her stress.
    • She gets about 5 crickets in her cage, they are put in there when I wake up, usually around 6:45 am to 7:00 am on weekdays. Are you using a feeding station? Loose crickets can hide and later when they get hungry, can try to bite Nachito. You could also put just a small piece of carrot or something on the bottom for any stray crickets to eat. Adding feeders like roaches and silkworms would be a great way to get more nutrition into her. I put some lettuce and other greens in the feeders tank every few days to gut-load them. Avoid giving lettuce as it’s nutrient-poor. Attaching graphics for you. (Can’t recall if I gave these to you already)
    • I use the feeders dusted in Repti Calcium every day, going to start mixing it with Reptivite with D3 for a little bit as the Vet suggested like every other day. Yeah…I don’t know about giving the Reptivite with D3 more than one feeding every other week. It contains fat soluble vitamins like A & D3 which can easily build up to dangerous levels. What would be much better is when you get some nice warm sunny days, take her outside for a short time for some natural D3.
    • I refill the drip system I made every morning and when I get home. I also spray down her cage in the morning and a few times after I get home with a misting bottle, Its usually a few good squirts that leave drops on the leaves. The Mist King will make your life sooo much easier. You’ll want to set it to run for 2 minutes right before lights on and off. You can use the dripper during the day or instead give another misting.
    • From what I have seen is that It does look pretty white, I haven't seen lots of solid parts of poops, but the one I think I did see was smaller and hard (a day or two old). No this chameleon has not be tested for parasites. You should really have her tested. Since you just saw the vet you should be able to drop off a fresh poo for testing.
    • She was a class pet for a fourth grade class. From the instructions I was given when I first took care of her before adopting her was that they put about 8 crickets in her cage and missed it down twice a day. She was left alone without anything over the weekends. She didn't have proper lighting, no basking or UVB. Was left without food or water for 4 days right before I was able to take her back and convince the teacher to let me keep her. She does have some signs of MBD. Biting my tongue.
Cage Info:
      • Edit: Bought the Tall Hybrid Dragon stand Hopefully you’ll be able to get that all set up and move her into it. That will greatly reduce the stress of being in a too small enclosure.
    • UVB light sold from Reptile basics, brand Arcadia, 22" 6% UV-B 24 watt. Lighting usually lasts from 6:45am to about 7 or 8pm. (I think I should shorten this up) Yes, a 12 hour on/off schedule is better. No lights at all at night.
    • Then I have the light fixture that she came with, I believe a Combo deep dome dual lamp fixture, With only a traditional household incandescent 60w bulb without LED installed and turned on. I’d suggest putting a plant bulb in the second space of the dome. This one is pretty good. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BRKG7X1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    • Lowest it gets at night is about 63 degrees F, the bottom of the cage is about 68 degrees F and the basking spot is about 82 degrees from what I just checked and 8 inches below the UVB light. Perfect! Just make sure your temps don’t get any higher. Usually we try to keep our girls at 80.
    • Humidity is about 26 to 40. I believe I have a AcuRite Digital Hygrometer & Indoor Thermometer Pre-Calibrated Humidity Gauge. I hook it to the basking branch to see how hot it is and it's usually sitting next to the cage recording everything. Since you have a good temp drop at night, you may want to use a cool mist dehumidifier at night to boost humidity all the way up. This helps simulate the natural hydration chams get in the wild from fog.
    • Yes and No, she currently has Two fake plants in her cage and I recently Installed a live Spider Plant as well. Pothos is your new best friend. ;) You’ll want to get a taller center plant, like a schefflera and then using the 2 pot method, hang plants on the sides. This will explain.https://dragonstrand.com/getting-the-most-from-your-dragon-strand-dragon-ledges/ Use the fake plants on the outside of the door to give her added privacy. While all veileds nibble their plants, the ladies seem to make a sport of it. One of my girls strips most of the leaves off her plants and some of her pothos are just bare vines hanging down. Eating a fake leaf can cause impaction.
    • Suburbs of Colorado
Not much, just about a future cage placement. I plan on putting Nachitos cage on my desk on the opposite side of the the room from where she is now as its the best place to fit a bigger cage, but there are two vents on the cealing that would be closer, one almost above the cage. How would that affect her and the cage? I have a ceiling vent directly above my chameleons and use a deflector so that it doesn’t blow on them. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Accord-5-7...c-Mount-Plastic-Ceiling-Air-Deflector/3260399
You are making all of the changes needed to give Nachito a good life. Poor girl has had it rough, but now she’s got you and things are looking so much better.
Have we talked about lay bins yet? When you set up the DragonStrand enclosure, make sure to add a lay bin as a permanent part of it.

--------------
View attachment 321238View attachment 321239View attachment 321240
Awesome!!!! I sort of made a feeding station for her, not 100% sure how well it works, I do plan on buying her one for the new cage. Does lights off mean just her basking and uvb or all lights? I want to try to get a better time, but I won’t be able to turn them on after 7am in the mornings on week days and sometimes, like once to two times a week I might have work overlapping the schedule. Is there a good timer that will turn them on and off for me?
Not 100% sure when the new cage is coming but I plan on setting it all up with everything needed, lay box plants, water systems and lighting before moving her in :).
Oh and yes, we talked about lay boxes already and she does have one.
Thanks for all the information!!!!!!😆

You put a smile on my face reading through everything, you´re doing great. I now can only advice, take your time, when the enclosure, to set it up correctly at once.
We can see you´re very willing to do everything correct (can see it with items you´re buying for her), therefore take your time with the setup, so she only needs move one more time.

And trust me, all the progress you gonna witness with her, is sooooo rewarding. They are truly amazing animals and Nachito is an absolute beauty.

Here some inspiration on setting up the new enclosure, please keep us posted.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/low-budget-enclosure-setup.2462/

Here's a few more questions :)
1. Do you know the average prices for these specific plants?
Umbrella plant
Pathos
Boston fern
Lipstick plant
Hibiscus
Im making a list of plants I want to get, but I can seem to find a average for the prices.
2. Also what's the average size for the two pot method?
3. Oh and for Lay boxes, when she lays eggs, do you replace sand or anything?
4.And does anyone have advice on the beginner mistking packet and what the best set up for it in a Dragon strand tall hybrid cage?
5. and lastly, I want to get her some Dubia Roaches but i'm not sure what size would be the best

Umbrella plant
Pathos
Boston fern
Lipstick plant
Hibiscus
Im making a list of plants I want to get, but I can seem to find a average for the prices.
4.And does anyone have advice on the beginner mistking packet and what the best set up for it in a Dragon strand tall hybrid cage?
5. and lastly, I want to get her some Dubia Roaches but i'm not sure what size would be the best
In my area the average I pay for most plants is $20 or less. Unless you get a much stronger plant light, you’ll want to avoid hibiscus.
I use 6” tall plastic pots for the 2 pot method.
Unless you lay bin sand has gotten nasty, you can reuse it.
I don’t have Dragon Strand enclosures, so can’t tell you the best placement for Mist King heads. A lot will depend on if you have a single head (comes with starter kit) or get a double mist head. I use double heads and have it centered along the back, with each head pointed just off center to each side. When I set up a single head, I placed it in one corner in the back and had it pointed towards the front opposite corner. This will help setting up the timer.
If you haven’t already checked out Neptune the chameleon on YT, she’s got a ton of great videos on a variety of topics.
I would get small dubia. It’s always better to have feeders be a bit too small than too big.

In my area the average I pay for most plants is $20 or less. Unless you get a much stronger plant light, you’ll want to avoid hibiscus.
I use 6” tall plastic pots for the 2 pot method.
Unless you lay bin sand has gotten nasty, you can reuse it.
I don’t have Dragon Strand enclosures, so can’t tell you the best placement for Mist King heads. A lot will depend on if you have a single head (comes with starter kit) or get a double mist head. I use double heads and have it centered along the back, with each head pointed just off center to each side. When I set up a single head, I placed it in one corner in the back and had it pointed towards the front opposite corner. This will help setting up the timer.
If you haven’t already checked out Neptune the chameleon on YT, she’s got a ton of great videos on a variety of topics.
I would get small dubia. It’s always better to have feeders be a bit too small than too big.

Thank you! would the maidenhair fern work instead of the Hibiscus? or the wandering jew?

Is this a strange potion for a chameleon to sit in? She’s been sitting like this for a little while and it just seems kind of odd, like her side just kind of pokes out.
EC2DA31A-615A-45FB-A4AC-4DDC8C01E0E7.jpeg
CF62B064-E426-40FE-871D-3BBC94B12830.jpeg
A5C31CCF-F021-49E5-A0F6-A6A8860C22FD.jpeg

Umbrella plant
Pathos
Boston fern
Lipstick plant
Hibiscus
Check Etsy also for plants/cuttings. Many under $10.

Looks like it is what is comfortable to her.

I would pull out the feeder cup if that is tape on it. Tape in a cham cage is dangerous. It will start to peel off on its own and can get stuck to the cham. We have seen it happen here in the forum and it is a horrendous thing. If your trying to remove sharp edges. I have used fishtank air hose line. Cut a slit down one side of the air line. Then push this onto the plastic surface your trying to cover.

Looks like it is what is comfortable to her.

I would pull out the feeder cup if that is tape on it. Tape in a cham cage is dangerous. It will start to peel off on its own and can get stuck to the cham. We have seen it happen here in the forum and it is a horrendous thing. If your trying to remove sharp edges. I have used fishtank air hose line. Cut a slit down one side of the air line. Then push this onto the plastic surface your trying to cover.
Ok, good to know! I’m not sure if I have that kind of line but I’ll look to see if there’s something similar I can work with.

Ok, I don’t think I have line like that…
Any suggestions on how else to make a temporary feeder for her?
air hose at a pet store is pretty cheap. Most do it yourself feeder runs are going to need something covering the plastic you cut. You can try taking a lighter to the edge... Although not sure a solo cup would hold up well to that. It just needs to be smooth with no sharp edge. They tend to grab a hold of things and you do not want the bottom of the feet to have slices in them.

Back
Top Bottom