How old do I look?

Ghostbirb

Chameleon Enthusiast
I originally thought my chameleon was around 5ish months. I got the advice to start a different thread for it.
Here's some photos of her. I'm guessing she is almost 8 inches long. She also seemed to be sleeping in my hand, as she closed both her eyes when I was holding her.
The photos are not the best quality.
unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (5).jpg

That's what I was thinking too . Didn't wanna send anyone into a panic but that girl looks frail to me :(
When chameleons get overly stressed and beyond what they can handle, they will close their eyes (sometimes sucking them in) and just shut down, waiting to be eaten by the big scary predator. However, this poor sweet little girl has been thru a great deal of improper care, probably all of her short life so I have to suspect she’s in need of a good vet.

I already know a good vet in my area that has taken care of my birds before and I do believe they check reptiles and chameleons as well.
Make the soonest appointment you can get and make sure to take a fresh poo to have a fecal check for parasites. An X ray would also be a good idea. I wonder if all of those little bumps along her sides are broken ribs from being handled so much. She is all yours now, correct? She won’t be going back to the school or who had her before?

Yep, my moms calling to get a appointment tomorrow.
I’ll try to get a fresh poo sample.
Thank u guys for your help! I’ll certainly try my best to do the right things for her. I’m not sure how much I can upgrade her living space in the near future, like bigger cage and plants, but I have ordered the right lights and vitamins. She seems to be enjoying her new basking light.

Yep, my moms calling to get a appointment tomorrow.
I’ll try to get a fresh poo sample.
Thank u guys for your help! I’ll certainly try my best to do the right things for her. I’m not sure how much I can upgrade her living space in the near future, like bigger cage and plants, but I have ordered the right lights and vitamins. She seems to be enjoying her new basking light.
I’m really rooting for your girl to overcome all she’s been thru. I trust you will do all that you can for her and will give her a wonderful life. 💗
You did ask about age and honestly, I hesitate to guess. Her growth may have been stunted, but she still has more growing to do. All I can tell you is that she hasn’t yet developed her big girl colors/patterns so hasn’t yet reached sexual maturity. Five months would be a good guess as I don’t think she’s any younger than that.

I really hope I can save her. I've become greatly attached and I don't mind spending money on her (my parent might disagree lol).
Right now I'm going to focus on her heath and major needs, and honestly worry about the upgrade when she's hopefully better.
UVB light should be here by at least thursday. I really can't thank you all enough for the help and support.
I also want to say, she had a few brown spots and stripes down her side, they are kind of hard to see, if that might help with age.

Have talked to my parents, my mom is horrified that the bumps on her side could be broken bones, but also not surprised considering how much she was handled. We are going to try to get a vet appointment within the next three days. Here is a photo of her enjoying probably the first actually basking in her life.
unnamed (6).jpg

Have talked to my parents, my mom is horrified that the bumps on her side could be broken bones, but also not surprised considering how much she was handled. We are going to try to get a vet appointment within the next three days. Here is a photo of her enjoying probably the first actually basking in her life.
. View attachment 321106
Poor poor sweet girl. Once again, I’d better bite my tongue and just say (again) that I’m so very glad that she’s with you now.

She does look really bad, but I give her a big chance she will thrive at her new home. It´s just unbelievable how strong these lovely creatures are and they´re true survivors, good you give her a chance 👏

How is her urate? Huge part orange? Therewith we could eventually rule out dehydrated (eyes sunken in), still dehydrated would be best for now, because that´s solve easily.
I wonder if all of those little bumps along her sides are broken ribs from being handled so muc
I was wondering the same, but also thinking calcium build up due wrong supplementation and lighting (can find so quickly any reference about it), because otherwise it would be a lot of fractures.

Just don´t give up on her, you´re doing great and it will be rewarding 💚

UVB light is currently being shipped and should be here (hopefully) by Thursday. Im at school from about 7:30 to 3:30 so
I made a dripper system to hopefully give her a little water while I’m gone and a dish that hold crickets. She did also just get a heating light yesterday and a new basking spot.
I’ve set up her water for today, misted the cage down as well, and put more cricket in her cage (she didn’t take any from the tongs). Going to call the vet today to get a appointment.

UVB light is currently being shipped and should be here (hopefully) by Thursday. Im at school from about 7:30 to 3:30 so
I made a dripper system to hopefully give her a little water while I’m gone and a dish that hold crickets. She did also just get a heating light yesterday and a new basking spot.
I’ve set up her water for today, misted the cage down as well, and put more cricket in her cage (she didn’t take any from the tongs). Going to call the vet today to get a appointment.
Tong feeding for chameleons isn’t a good idea, so it’s good that she won’t take them that way. They shoit and retract their tongues so fast that we can’t always release the tongs quickly enough, which can then damage their tongues, quite badly in some cases.
Put up that uvb light as soon as it arrives. I think once she has that, she’ll feel a bit better. You’re getting there sweetheart. I know you’re doing all you can as quickly as you can. :)

Back
Top Bottom