How Many Dubia to a Tub?

PrettyInInk87

I just got a CRUD LOAD of Dubia and I have no idea how many. With no cartons the Dubia are about 2 inches deep from the bottom of the tub. :) My question is, how many adult Dubia can live comfortably in a bin? They are 2x1 foot tubs. So far I have 100 males and 400 females counted out in one tub that didn't even put a dent in the other tub.

the egg crates and stuff provide a lot of surface area with all the pockets and stuff so you can really pack them in. plus roachs actually like to be cramped together - maybe not several inches on top of each other but once you get them on to egg crates itll be easier to judge how many to have in a container.. thats just my opinion, its hard to say like "one thousand and 26 max" or something.

I put mine in large tupperware bin bought from walmart. One question though, where did you buy all those dubia :eek: !!

About 1 adult Dubia for every 1 to 2 square inchs of crawling surface area. A 2ft x 1ft tub with no egg crates would be about 200ish roaches. Every 12" x 12" egg carton adds like 3 to 4 square ft of crawling space (200ish to 400ish more adult Dubias).

This colony supports an estimated 2000 to 3000 adults (haven't counted in a long time) plus the babies which I empty out every week or so (it produces 3000 to 4000 babies a week).
DubiaBreederColony.jpg

Maur3D how do you get all the babies out with that big of an adult population? I only have one male and two females with a bunch of tiny babies that are for feeding Cortez. I need another place to stash my secret Dubia Stash. LOL

Awesome! Thank you do much. I have 100 males in each of my tubs and 400 females, adults. :)

I got them from a local who dis nit want her HUGE colony anymore, she gave them to me. I didn't just want to take them so I gave her 2 of my slings, a ten gallon tank with lid, and my lobster roaches. She didn't want anything for them but I HAD to give her something. :) They were so nice.

damn i wish Zulu liked dubia.... but nah, good think i had only a 50+ colony

the easiness to keep them is amazing:(

I am right next door...if Claude keeps spitting them out, I will keep you in mind as a new home for my 1000! :)

When I first seen "I am right next door" I was like oh to Gabby, then I realized we are state neighbors! LOL which part of MN do you live in? I was just in fairibault (spelling?) a few weeks ago. I was supposed to be there tonight, but plan changed.

Maur3D how do you get all the babies out with that big of an adult population? I only have one male and two females with a bunch of tiny babies that are for feeding Cortez. I need another place to stash my secret Dubia Stash. LOL

I have a sorting tub with bunches of 1/4" holes leading into another tub. It works really good I just built it this past week as a test for my new colony design. I'll be posting it when I build the final version.

Back
Top Bottom