How far can a cham see?

katlovesaandw

We are just wondering!
All the posts say that they are not to see each other, etc. and while we LOVE Karma.....
DH has said that when/if we get another... that he would like a male(havent decided on breed) so we get cool colorations.
Karma has basically 2 colors, green and black. Sometimes she gets white or yellow small patches with her green and sometimes her black will be more brown but she never does some of the extreme coloring the veiled's do...even the other females we have seen.

SO.... being that we live in a small house, the male would have to be in a cage within the same room as her on a diagonal about 12-15 feet from her.

If that would be an issue, we will wait until Karma grows old and goes to Rainbow Bridge before we get another.

If not an issue, then we will start getting new set-up in bits and pieces so we are ready this time around!

Pan can definately see me from 20 feet away and he starts to get mad/weary of me as soon as he sees me as the doorway.

Can you put the cages next to each other and put a barrier between them? It's likely to get wet so make it something that will tolerate water. I have a piece of fabric between mine.

I only have room in the lounge for my two. They most likely can see each other if they are sat at a particular angle. However, I haven't seen either of them display whilst in the cages, so I'm guessing that they are just out of each others' sights! The cages are diagonal to each other too.

However, Tommy will show off to Amy if he sees her when he's out and he is definitely well aware of where her cage is, lol! Put him on the floor and nine times out of 10 he will almost run across the floor and stand at the bottom of the cupboard her cage is on, bless him! You can almost see him working out how to get to her, lol!:D

I get more of a reaction from Tommy when he sees hismelf in a mirror. We have a stainless steel effect light fitting in the kitchen and I stood under it with him the other day, not thinking about it and his eyes were all over and next thing I know he's sat on my shoulder showing off to his reflection on the ceiling! Silly boy!:D:D Love the silly critter to bits!

What if they are different breeds? Will they still get agitated or display like Tommy and Amy?

Karma is a veiled and we are thinking maybe a Jackson's or a Oustalet's or a Panther? Not sure yet but I dont think we will get a male veiled....

More than likely yes. I have a panther and veiled, both males and if they get a glimps of one another, the veiled is the one that will bow up. I don't think it's a bad thing to happen ever so often, but you wouldn't want it to go on a daily basis.

There have been threads on this forum before about this...you should be able to find them through the search.

If you can just put them next to each other with a divider. Or put a bookcase between their cages lol. I have a translucent shower curtain on the cage of my jackson's, and even though light and shapes are still visible, they're completely blurry and I don't think he would see another chameleon on the other side of it. Try something like that maybe?

There are definately ways around it :)

I'm pretty sure being different species doesn't help...they react to a competitor. If you can't put them side by side with a divider, maybe you can put something on one side of one cage that will mess up the view? Like a fine mesh or thin fabric?

Back
Top Bottom