Blood in Stool

Over the last week my female panther has shown a slight blood in her stool. This is her second one. She was mated with a few months ago and currently looks like she wants to lay. She has a lay bin provided just in case. She’s slowed on eating over the last week or so. A few weeks ago we found a few unfertilized eggs at the bottom of her enclosure. Heat, humidity and lighting are all good. She gets calcium with every feeding (1-2 a week), multivitamin every other week and D3 every 2-3 weeks. She tends to close her eyes a bit for short periods of time (maybe because she’s in pain?). She hasn’t moved from this spot too often over the last week (see attached photo). Still eating and drinking normally. Was curious if anyone could shed some light on this. We are going to be taking her to the vet this week. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_0466.jpeg
    IMG_0466.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0467.jpeg
    IMG_0467.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 13
Oh no poor baby!!! I don’t have any insight really. My veiled boy had a little blood once and it turned out to be just irritation in his vent. However, it was a smaller amount than this.

I’m very sorry your cham is experiencing this. I don’t have the experience to chime in on this one but you can answer these questions which will help the experienced members give you some advice when they enter this thread.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What are the size of the feeders? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

This would be a vet asap situation. And one knowledgeable about chameleons. There are certain things I am seeing with her body that point to an issue. Specifically how she looks so thin from her back hips down her tail. The tail should be fuller. The fact that she is dropping eggs can be a major concern along with passing blood. Did you let her lay a clutch prior to mating her or is this her first clutch? My concern would be an issue of egg binding. When exactly did you mate her?

@kinyonga @MissSkittles

This would be a vet asap situation. And one knowledgeable about chameleons. There are certain things I am seeing with her body that point to an issue. Specifically how she looks so thin from her back hips down her tail. The tail should be fuller. The fact that she is dropping eggs can be a major concern along with passing blood. Did you let her lay a clutch prior to mating her or is this her first clutch? My concern would be an issue of egg binding. When exactly did you mate her?

@kinyonga @MissSkittles
She has laid a fertile clutch last year in January and then one in March. Then an infertile clutch in August of last year. Then mated in early November.

I hope your Cham is alright. 💕💗 Do you have a nearby reliable exotics vet? I am so sorry. I would like to think your chameleon will be alright. Will you fill out the husbandry form so we can see if there are any things that could have caused this. I’m not sure if this is a husbandry issue though.

I agree that she needs an experienced vet asap. No idea what is going on inside of her. That she had laid a few eggs a few weeks ago and none since by itself causes serious concern for egg binding or other complication. Now that this is the second time she’s passing blood, the concern only increases. I also agree that she looks much too thin. If you need help finding a good vet, just let us know your general location.

Back
Top Bottom