How do you take care of a pregnant Panther female lol

Jay Sick

Avid Member
I am having a long lengthy discussion with someone who is throwing absurd ideas he said he has done. I want some one to please provide a care sheet for a pregnant panther chameleon

the very first question I need answered though is if she needs a basking light I know the answer I just need pro's to back me up DR'O i would greatly appreciate your opinion on this subject.

I have multiple pregnant females at the moment and I take care of them in the same way that I have done so whether they are pregnant or not.

I guess the only variance is that I have a laying bin with them (although I keep it with them all year around) and I make it a point to try to make sure they are getting plenty of calcium for egg production.

Otherwise, no difference in husbandry.

Yes if it's Fiona she needs a 40-60 Watt regular house bulb....as well as all the other things any Cham needs. I always had a laying bin or two handy. I buy them at the dollar store and fill them with regular organic potting soil.

Gravid females get treated no different. I might up their food and keep more calcium powder on the feeders but that's it.

Carl

Yes, I have a basking bulb on all females, gravid or otherwise. It may not be a very strong one (say 40w to keep the basking spot in the low 80's) but it's a basking bulb.

I keep females the same as males, with a basking bulb. The only difference is when gravid she gets fed a small amount every day instead of every other day and she gets extra calcium supplementation. And her laying bin remains in her cage 24/7 (gravid or not). I keep the basking temperature a bit cooler than for males but otherwise everything else is the same.

Tay rest assured Fiona is well taken care of basking bulb and all i just had to prove to the mo mo that told me as long as a room is 80 degrees no basking bulb is needed and how he was gonna design some Off the chain air heating system to pass through the cages. Or some crazy **** to replace basking lol i have no idea what he is trying to do either but it looks like he is designing a space ship for chams.

i have hatched and raised many chams so i knew the answers i just needed solid in the face from other hobbyist vets and pro's to back what i said up. Because he feels the internet lies .................

I keep mine with basking bulbs as well, but it's not impossible to keep them without basking bulbs. There is a member on here that uses radiant heat panels instead of basking bulbs and he reports that they are all doing well. (So tell that guy that it's already been made! :)) Now I'm not sure they would thrive without some sort of basking spot though (at 80 degrees.) They might live, but I don't know if they would thrive. Maybe if it was higher, but I suspect that it might cause problems because the animals can't thermoregulate.

Back
Top Bottom